By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It's official! The PS3 can't be saved anymore

The whole "save the PS3" nonsense was started near the beginning of the generation by Sony fans that couldn't fathom a PS console not finishing first.  The PS3 isn't finishing first. So it can't be "saved."

@Darth Tigris

You have one of the best avatars on VGChartz.

Around the Network
Kissinger said:

The PS3 doesn't need saving but the PS4 might if things keep going the way they are.  How will it survive if development costs double and PSN and the hardware itself are making almost no money or even losing money?  Will the PS3 and PSP2 be making tons of profit like the PS2 and PSP were to save it?  Doubtful since the PS3 is finally just breaking even and now Sony has to cut price or give rebates in order to compete with competitors that have systems that are cheaper to produce.

I'll be honest, people will ignore or deny what you say as relevant but you are just hitting the nail on the head with Mjolnir here!

Nintendo will likely never disappear because gaming IS their business.

Microsoft makes so much money from Windows and Office that the gaming losses never really affected them that much and the Xbox business is now profitable (this gen) and great PR for the company (the accolades of Kinect in mainstream media cannot be downplayed).

Sony ....... just think about this.  To sell upwards of 100 million consoles for TWO generations as the pride and joy of your entire company and then have just one console completely and thoroughly wipe out all profits from those two generations looks EXTREMELY bad to stockholders.  Now, with 3DTV's (in their current form) looking like something that will never be profitable, losses in gaming hurt even more.  Sony NEEDS gaming to be profitable, and its been far less than that this gen.  Sega proved to me that companies in such a situation ARE willing to make the tough decision no matter how acclaimed their product is if they are losing money consistently and can't afford it.  Being honest, can Sony afford something like this gen to happen again?

Good post, man.  Brave too.

Darc Requiem said:

The whole "save the PS3" nonsense was started near the beginning of the generation by Sony fans that couldn't fathom a PS console not finishing first.  The PS3 isn't finishing first. So it can't be "saved."

@Darth Tigris

2nd only to yours, sir.

The PS3 could be saved with a 99$ price cut. I guess Sony is not interested.

Isn't the Wii that needs "saving" these day? I mean almost selling 2 million consoles in a week and people still claim the Wii is D00000MMed!!1!

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network
goddog said:
RolStoppable said:

I've been waiting to make this thread since a couple of weeks, because I wanted to see more numbers and not jump the gun prematurely.

Gran Turismo 5 was the last game left in the long line of PS3 saviors that were named in pretty much every thread concerning hardware sales and future lineups in 2007 and 2008. As time passed by, one game after another failed to do its job of saving the PS3 and now even Sony's by far biggest exclusive couldn't manage to turn things around. So why did Gran Turismo 5 fail to save the PS3? 

The answer is quite simple, really. At this point in time the PS3 just doesn't need to be saved anymore. After a problematic launch period in late 2006/early 2007, Sony slowly, but surely, got its act together and the PS3 started to have healthy hardware and software sales on a regular basis.

you mean this thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=5338

That thread is hilarious now. Some people thought FFXIII was going to push the PS3 past the 360 and then GT5 would push it past the Wii.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

rutea7 said:

too bad not many people read it and jumped the gun on reading the title alone.

They probably read "RolStoppable" then started posting right after that.

Anyways, does this mean the ps3 can DO the saving now?! =o

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

Goddbless said:
goddog said:
RolStoppable said:

I've been waiting to make this thread since a couple of weeks, because I wanted to see more numbers and not jump the gun prematurely.

Gran Turismo 5 was the last game left in the long line of PS3 saviors that were named in pretty much every thread concerning hardware sales and future lineups in 2007 and 2008. As time passed by, one game after another failed to do its job of saving the PS3 and now even Sony's by far biggest exclusive couldn't manage to turn things around. So why did Gran Turismo 5 fail to save the PS3? 

The answer is quite simple, really. At this point in time the PS3 just doesn't need to be saved anymore. After a problematic launch period in late 2006/early 2007, Sony slowly, but surely, got its act together and the PS3 started to have healthy hardware and software sales on a regular basis.

you mean this thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=5338

That thread is hilarious now. Some people thought FFXIII was going to push the PS3 past the 360 and then GT5 would push it past the Wii.

Only fanboys care about sales for this generation whether its purpose is to praise or denounce a system.  

Darc Requiem said:

@Darth Tigris

Actually, I've seen it cut both ways. You have some PS3 owners who showed their insecurities by the initial low sales of the PS3 while you also have some of your non-PS3 owners who showed their insecurities by laughing at those same sales.  Sadly for now, some people cannot take the fact that the PS3 has been a success in regards to offering gamers plenty of quality software while still being backed by strong software support regardless of being in third place.  Unlike past 3rd place consoles, the PS3 is receiving software support as if it's a 1st place console like past generation 1st place consoles, and it's still a viable and growing option.  The PS3 cannot be "saved" because it doesn't need to be.  You cannot save something that's alive and kicking.  The PS3 is here to stay as I mentioned earlier, and it's here to do its job for gamers.  That's an awesome thing.  Truth.

Single games wont save a console. Constant quality releases and support will.