By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It's official! The PS3 can't be saved anymore

Given that the PS3 likely has more functional units in circulation than the 360, it's doubtful the PS3 needs any assistance at all actually.  It had a slow start, sure, but Sony wasn't replacing boxes by the hundreds of thousands if not millions, for what, the first 2 or 3 years of it's existance like the 360?  Anyone who looks at the 360's sales 'numbers' and see the 360 in a lead, is really forgetting how many units Microsoft had to fork up to replace bricked consoles.   We're talking what, a 30 % failure rate for 3 years, at least??  Yeah, Microsoft shows units shipped in their earnings data also folks, not sold.

Around the Network

To some extent Wii saved PS3 by effectively lessening install base for 3rd parties to port their games to. Publishers hit by rising development costs, were forced to capitalize on PS3 despite it's shortcomings - overpriced, overengineered piece of tech with even higher development costs, low acceptance rate at the beginning due to weak launch lineup of 1st party offerings and lack of best-sellers. They have nothing to do but to support it, thus creating favourable marketplace to sell their games in the future. So, no, it doesn't need saving, but there's always a next generation.

Great thread!

10/10

Chibi.V.29 said:
richardhutnik said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

Has 1 game EVER saved a consol? PS3 doesnt need saving anyway :3

A killer app, released early in the life of a console, can propel it to first place.  It gets harder the longer the console is on the market, because then libraries matter.  In addition to libraries, who people know that owns whatever system, makes a difference to.  People will buy what their friends are buying.

Ah this is such a good answer ^^

Thanks.  Just ending up rephrasing what I remember ioi wrote on here in the past, which happened to agree with my thoughts on the subject .

psrock said:

Read people, read.

This Generation has taught us that a library of great games is more important than just one big game. There is no doomed for any of consoles folks. The Wii can sell 3rd aprty games, the 360 is as stable now if more than the PS3, and the PS3 can match all with its game library. I still believe this is the best Generation ever.

The PS3 has been the most successful 3rd place console as if it has the offering of past generation first place consoles.  It has most of the best 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party games of quality and wide variety.  Regardless of being in third, it's heavily support, and it provides both casual and especial hardcore games.  PS3 is here to stay, folks.  It an awesome console that cannot be saved from a plethora of awesome games.

BTW, this is an awesome thread. 

Around the Network

The ps3 still hasn't saved itself.

Its still on the doom wheel.

The PS3 doesn't need saving but the PS4 might if things keep going the way they are.  How will it survive if development costs double and PSN and the hardware itself are making almost no money or even losing money?  Will the PS3 and PSP2 be making tons of profit like the PS2 and PSP were to save it?  Doubtful since the PS3 is finally just breaking even and now Sony has to cut price or give rebates in order to compete with competitors that have systems that are cheaper to produce.

Chibi.V.29 said:

Has 1 game EVER saved a consol? PS3 doesnt need saving anyway :3

Arguably Halo with the original Xbox. Seemed to be what kept the system relevant.

There was a point in time where Super Smash Bros. Melee had around a 90% attach rate on the Gamecube. It was literally THEE reason to own the system.

Games do sell consoles(i remember seece saying CGI Quiality said this, and CGI said he didn't but i'm saying it so there), but it has to be the right game at the right time to make a big impact on hardware sales, and i think every game this gen so far has sold atlease one console.

ROL is right the PS3 can't be saved and soon it will be one of the top 5 most succeeful home consoles to ever be manufactured.

long story, and 9 pages of post short PS3 never needed to be saved, so sit back and enjoy the ride cause theres more to come from the PS3 and Sony. 

With games like GoW3, its obvious the PS3 hasn't been saved because it hasn't accepted Jesus.