By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Skyward Sword: Realistic graphics Vs Cell Shaded (Pics)

At e3, the SS gameplay was completely finished, but the graphics were not yet fully polished. Nintendo wll make this game look great by the time it releases.

Anyhow, I want to wait for final screens of the game before deciding if real vs cell shading graphics work better for this game.  

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Around the Network

Zelda doesn't have to look realistic, but it does have to look good and it didn't look good at E3. If they want the cel-shaded look, then they have to go for it, they have to really push that artistic edge and surprise everyone like they did with Wind Waker or keep it safe and make it look amazing like with Twilight Princess. Prince of Persia, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm and Valkyria Chronicles are a few examples of games that got the cel design right, hopefully Nintendo are willing to to take some inspiration from them.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

UncleScrooge said:

Oh man... I so prefer the realistic art style of Twilight Princess. I think Zelda should be something epic, huge and with a giant world to explore. I always hoped Nintendo would (at some point) make Zelda a bit more like Lord of the Rings, with epic battles and great nature around you.

Cell Shading looks really great in a lot of games but it just doesn't fit Zelda games at all. The whole background story with the gods, Hyrule, Link and Ganondorf... all these things just don't fit into a game with Cell shading.

@ bolded: I think that epic battles with tons of action on screen wouldn't fit the solitary experience of Zelda games. Lord of the Rings universe fits better the beat 'e up genre. About great landscapes, I'm all in for that too.

@ underlined:  Well, Wind Waker feels really okay to me. I'd say the art style is engaging. Link's facial expressions would be weird with realistic graphics.

Mr.Metralha said:
UncleScrooge said:

Oh man... I so prefer the realistic art style of Twilight Princess. I think Zelda should be something epic, huge and with a giant world to explore. I always hoped Nintendo would (at some point) make Zelda a bit more like Lord of the Rings, with epic battles and great nature around you.

Cell Shading looks really great in a lot of games but it just doesn't fit Zelda games at all. The whole background story with the gods, Hyrule, Link and Ganondorf... all these things just don't fit into a game with Cell shading.

@ bolded: I think that epic battles with tons of action on screen wouldn't fit the solitary experience of Zelda games. Lord of the Rings universe fits better the beat 'e up genre. About great landscapes, I'm all in for that too.

@ underlined:  Well, Wind Waker feels really okay to me. I'd say the art style is engaging. Link's facial expressions would be weird with realistic graphics.

If there are any epic battles, they should be Link as a one man army, just like the best games of the series.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I like the realistic graphics...

BUT! Remember that Nintendo said on Tri's launch that they would hold back Zelda so that it was the Wii's best looking game if necessaries, so there's no worries

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:

I hope they get rid of anything that would get in the way of making the game fun (sailing in Wind Waker, slow opening in Twilight Princess, Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass*) before they try to wow us with graphics. Having loads of fun in a game doesn't have an expiration date, unlike flashy graphics.

* Haven't played Spirit Tracks, so I don't know about how that game is overall.

It has crappy train parts and super crappy music parts.

Above: still the best game of the year.

I'm just as worried about SS's final build as you guys, but you are only killing your potential "First Time" by harping on this.

There is still so much about the game that we don't know of. Let's put our stock in the unknown for a while and give it a chance before we claim disappointment.

The art style could create some interesting locations.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

i love the cel shaded graphics, i just wish more games would use it. I dont see how cell shading can take away from the epicness. I mean look at Okami that game was all kinds of epic, and it used cell shading.

The only thing disapointing with this game is the use of motion plus. which means i either have to buy one of those dumb new controllers or that stupid peripheral that will never ever get used besides for this game and will just sit there on the shelf collecting dust the rest of the time with all the other stupid peripherals.

they better include a zelda mote bundle or i'm going to get mad.

cell shading makes the game more unique, it also masks the crapiness of the wiis hardware and finally much like wind waker will stand the test of time, unlike twillight princess that today looks like a piece of crap.

Mr.Metralha said:
UncleScrooge said:

Not internet epic More like fighting a giant Ork or something. And afterwards you think "Whoa, did I actually beat that thing? It was so huge!" Having monstrous enemies in the game would definitely make you look for heart pieces, hehe Unfortunately the big enemies in Zelda feel more like a puzzle than an actual bossfight. "Find the weak point and  then smash it." I think a boss battle should never feature the monster lying there and letting you beat it up. Basically once you figured out the weak spot of a boss in a Zelda game you just Z-target it and push the sword button. I'd like the enemies to get angry at you for hitting them so you have to be extra careful after you landed a single attack! That would be awesome and require way more skill. (And I realize when you mention "Lord of the Rings" and "battlles" in one sentence people automatically think of the massive battles with lots of enemies. I should've worded it differently.)

Oh and I liked Wind Waker, too. But with the whole ocean theme it was quite different from traditional Zelda games. They should've made it a new I.P. though, focusing on pirates and sailing and such.

they probably have these cool gamepay elements which didn't suite a more realistic graphics..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)