By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Skyward Sword: Realistic graphics Vs Cell Shaded (Pics)

Mr.Metralha said:
KungKras said:

The Galaxy games will also look awesome for a long time since they look so smooth. I was hoping that Nintendo would do something similar with this Zelda.

I do think Okami and Wind Waker have aged extremely well technically, but WW had just a small fraction of the wow-factor that OoT had on me, even if OoT look horrible today, it was magical when it was new, the way that enemies burned with blue fire when you killed them and dissolved, it was the perfect style for Zelda games.

I still belive Galaxy-like graphics would be the best option.

Well, maybe Nintendo is saving our eyes from a proper jaw dropping  realistic Zelda till the Wii 2 releases :p

I hope so :)

But the wait, it will be so long....

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Shadowblind said:

All things look better in cell-shading.

ALL THINGS.

Are you sure that's not because of your bias towards Tales of Vesperia?  J/k

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

KungKras said:
Mr.Metralha said:

Well, maybe Nintendo is saving our eyes from a proper jaw dropping  realistic Zelda till the Wii 2 releases :p

I hope so :)

But the wait, it will be so long....

How many years were you waiting for Skyward Sword? It is almost here now.

We may see a new home console Zelda by xmas 2013 if we are lucky =)

Nintendo might be already working on it.

huaxiong90 said:
Shadowblind said:

All things look better in cell-shading.

ALL THINGS.

Are you sure that's not because of your bias towards Tales of Vesperia?  J/k

No! . . . maybe. Doesn't make it any less true though!

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

toastboy44562 said:

all this time and they didnt have enough time to make the textures realistic? there must be bad managing with the dev team

Miyamoto said that the movments with Motion required more exaggeration, and cel shading accomodated that.

Cell shading is NOT laziness. It's a stylistic choice.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
toastboy44562 said:

all this time and they didnt have enough time to make the textures realistic? there must be bad managing with the dev team

Miyamoto said that the movments with Motion required more exaggeration, and cel shading accomodated that.

i think that's his excuse. it takes 5 years to make a game with simple graphics. probably a lot longer to make a game with decent graphics. they need to get this game on wii not wii 2

I really prefer Cell shaded graphics in games in general, and Wind waker had good graphics with the cell shaded style they had. I agree that the style they have for the cell shading in this game just doesn't seem that good to me though.

toastboy44562 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
toastboy44562 said:

i think that's his excuse. it takes 5 years to make a game with simple graphics. probably a lot longer to make a game with decent graphics. they need to get this game on wii not wii 2

HEY. Donthu be dissin' my cell shading. As far as I'm concerned cell shading takes skill to make.

As long as Tales games are cell shaded, cell shading will not only take quantifiably large amounts of skill and effort involved to make, but cell shaded games will from henceforth be known as "technical marvels" because they are.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

toastboy44562 said:

Agreed.

SS has an interesting and unique graphic style, although the area shown at E3 looks dumbed down and bland with poor textures.

But they said it was just a tech demo made for E3 and may not even be in the final build, or may be there but completely changed.

We have wait for actual game scenarios screenshots to judge.

Mr.Metralha said:
KungKras said:

The realistic graphics are soooo much better it's ridiculous.

They should have made the graphics style shiny like Super Mario Galaxy, this "artsy" look doesn't suit Zelda at all. Especially not if they want to market the realistic sword fighting.

The realistic sword fighting marketing doesn't need at all realistic graphics to work better.

Wii Sports Resort is selling good I'd say, and the game has very clean a simple graphics.

Realistic graphics get dated quick, while stylized games last longer with charming visuals.

Okami and Wind Waker look awesome even nowadays.

This.