By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo DS Becoming Best Selling Console of All Time in a Couple of Days

RolStoppable said:
Metallicube said:

Bottom line: DS and PS2 are both consoles.

DS = Handheld console

PS2 = Home console

Period... End O' Story.

But if it makes the PS2 fans feel better, PS2 will still remain the best selling HOME console of all time ;). I don't think the Wii will be passing it.

That issue was solved a long time ago in this thread, but I guess you skip all posts with a Fire Emblem character next to them.

...Well my work here is done then! lol.. I skimmed through many of the posts but it was mostly the earlier ones. Just wanted to sneak in my two cents.

Not really a Fire Emblem fan, guess that had something to do with it :P

Around the Network

Still behind 11 million in shipped units...

I'm gonna stick with that one for now.

A video game console is an interactive entertainment computer or modified computer system that produces a video display signal which can be used with a display device (a television, monitor, etc.) to display a video game. The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a machine designed for consumers to buy and use solely for playing video games from a personal computer,

I think that is pretty clear, Besides why are people hatin' on the DS, It's awesome It's the only system still supporting JRPGS, enough for me to buy it for me and any kid in my family. I loved the PS2 but records are meant to be broken. why not be glad for Nintendo the only "real" videogame-only dedicated company, not some multimedia giants trying to get a piece of the pie.

Juma009 said:

A video game console is an interactive entertainment computer or modified computer system that produces a video display signal which can be used with a display device (a television, monitor, etc.) to display a video game. The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a machine designed for consumers to buy and use solely for playing video games from a personal computer,

I think that is pretty clear, Besides why are people hatin' on the DS, It's awesome It's the only system still supporting JRPGS, enough for me to buy it for me and any kid in my family. I loved the PS2 but records are meant to be broken. why not be glad for Nintendo the only "real" videogame-only dedicated company, not some multimedia giants trying to get a piece of the pie.

Stop posting the definition, Jesus.  Read the thread. The problem with the definition is no one refers to handhelds as handheld consoles.  That's why some balk at this.  It is a console in reality by definition.  However,  The REAL ISSUE has been covered by me and Rol starting on page 9. I suggest people go read it before posting this damn definiton for the umpteenth time.   

NYANKS said:
Juma009 said:

Stop posting the definition, Jesus.  Read the thread. The problem with the definition is no one refers to handhelds as handheld consoles.  That's why some balk at this.  It is a console in reality by definition.  However,  The REAL ISSUE has been covered by me and Rol starting on page 9. I suggest people go read it before posting this damn definiton for the umpteenth time.   

But... that's what they ARE

>_<

That fact that this is even being debated in the first place is hillarious to me and shows unshakable bias some have against Nintendo.

"DS is about to become the best selling console"

"Well... That doesn't really count!!!1 Because blah blah blah blah"

Maybe PS3 shouldn't be counted since it comes with a Blu Ray player :/

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
NYANKS said:
Juma009 said:

>_<

That fact that this is even being debated in the first place is hillarious to me and shows unshakable bias some have against Nintendo.

Did you even read two sentences further?  I say exactly this.  However, the issues with comparing don't stem from a simple word, it stems from basic attributes of handheld consoles and home consoles.  Perhaps you should examine further.

NYANKS said:
Metallicube said:
NYANKS said:
Juma009 said:

>_<

Did you even read two sentences further?  I say exactly this.  However, the issues with comparing don't stem from a simple word, it stems from basic attributes of handheld consoles and home consoles.  Perhaps you should examine further.

Yes, I've read your back and forth, and I understand what is being said, that that DS has different advantages over home consoles, and different attributes. However, aren't there also different attributes and advantages/disadvantages even among home consoles? Should PS3 sales be put with an asterisk because it is also a Blu Ray player? Should Wii sales come with an asterisk because it is the only motion controlled console (or at least was for most of this gen)? No two consoles are alike, even two home consoles of the same generation.

Splitting hairs like this turns this into a very slippery slope.

And anyway, going off what Rol said, I think the DS has a disadvantage in many ways over its home console cousins. Graphics are weaker, developer support is weaker, screen is much smaller, etc. At the end of the day I think you can call it a draw. DS separated from the pack not necessarilly because of "advantages" but because of the different types of games that appeal to a wider audience than 99% of games on the home consoles these days do.

Metallicube said:
NYANKS said:
Metallicube said:
NYANKS said:
Juma009 said:

>_<

Yes, I've read your back and forth, and I understand what is being said, that that DS has different advantages over home consoles, and different attributes. However, aren't there also different attributes and advantages/disadvantages even among home consoles? Should PS3 sales be put with an asterisk because it is also a Blu Ray player? Should Wii sales come with an asterisk because it is the only motion controlled console (or at least was for most of this gen)? No two consoles are alike, even two home consoles of the same generation.

And anyway, going off what Rol said, I think the DS has a disadvantage in many ways over its home console cousins. Graphics are weaker, developer support is weaker, screen is much smaller, etc. At the end of the day I think you can call it a draw. DS separated from the pack not necessarilly because of "advantages" but because of the different types of games that appeal to a wider audience than 99% of games on the home consoles these days do.

Rol actually said the DS has finally changed problems with handhelds sufficiently that the problems do not offset the inherent advantages of handhelds.  The screen, amazing support, its portability and its tendency to have many copies in a single household (leading inevitably, to the price difference), are all enhancing its sales.  Home consoles can't beat that when done well.  The perfectly executed handheld console will defeat the perfectly executed home console, at least as of now and demonstrated by the PS2 and DS.  The Blu ray effect was not terribly large, and it also had to offset a 600 dollar initial price tag.  The Wii's motion, while humongous, can be compared to PS1's change to CD, not in innovation necessarily, but in effect.  

All the consoles have games that appeal to all.  Yes, handhelds tend to accentuate this to make up for their lack of horsepower.    This has always existed.  You can't really package Tetris for 60 bucks on a home console and expect not to get laughed at.  

NYANKS said:
Metallicube said:
NYANKS said:
Metallicube said:
NYANKS said:
Juma009 said:

>_<

Rol actually said the DS has finally changed problems with handhelds sufficiently that the problems do not offset the inherent advantages of handhelds.  The screen, amazing support, its portability and its tendency to have many copies in a single household (leading inevitably, to the price difference), are all enhancing its sales.  The perfectly executed handheld console will defeat the perfectly executed home console, at least as of now and demonstrated by the PS2 and DS.  The Blu ray effect was not terribly large, and it also had to offset a 600 dollar initial price tag.  The Wii's motion, while humongous, can be compared to PS1's change to CD, not in innovation necessarily, but in effect.  

All the consoles have games that appeal to all.  Yes, consoles tend to accentuate this to make up for their lack of horsepower.    This has always existed.  You can't really package Tetris for 60 bucks on a home console and expect not to get laughed at.  

You could argue though that the PS2 had the "advantage" (though not so for the consumers) of breaking and causing people to buy often 2 or even 3 PS2s throughout their 10 year run, not to mention the slimline model.

I just think it's pointless to aruge over miniscule differences among consoles and use that as a well to undermine its sales or claim that somehow there should be an asterisk next to the sales because of hardware "advantages."

Metallicube said:
NYANKS said:
Metallicube said:
NYANKS said:
Metallicube said:
NYANKS said:
Juma009 said:

>_<

Rol actually said the DS has finally changed problems with handhelds sufficiently that the problems do not offset the inherent advantages of handhelds.  The screen, amazing support, its portability and its tendency to have many copies in a single household (leading inevitably, to the price difference), are all enhancing its sales.  The perfectly executed handheld console will defeat the perfectly executed home console, at least as of now and demonstrated by the PS2 and DS.  The Blu ray effect was not terribly large, and it also had to offset a 600 dollar initial price tag.  The Wii's motion, while humongous, can be compared to PS1's change to CD, not in innovation necessarily, but in effect.  

All the consoles have games that appeal to all.  Yes, consoles tend to accentuate this to make up for their lack of horsepower.    This has always existed.  You can't really package Tetris for 60 bucks on a home console and expect not to get laughed at.  

You could argue though that the PS2 had the "advantage" (though not so for the consumers) of breaking and causing people to buy often 2 or even 3 PS2s throughout their 10 year run, not to mention the slimline model.

I just think it's pointless to aruge over miniscule differences among consoles and use that as a well to undermine its sales or claim that somehow there should be an asterisk next to the sales because of hardware "advantages."

It will be a great achievement when it happens.  I'm just saying (and Rol seems to agree) that when both are done well, that is what the outcome ought to be.  I guess we were being a little more in depth than people care for, going by other comments in here (not you).  You can understand my frustration when people just do nothing but post the definition of the word console like nothing else matters.  Handhelds are just more consumer friendly.  It's the easiest fun you can get, and possibly the finest execution of a portable to date.  Who knows, the current recession may have even helped display that even moreso.  Don't worry, I'll be on the "Epic win wagon" with everyone else when it passes.  :P