By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo DS Becoming Best Selling Console of All Time in a Couple of Days

I dont think it´s fair to say the ds isn´t a console.

1- it has traditional buttons (the same amount snes had) besides the touchscreen

2-  games with n64 quality (mario 64 comes to mind),

*and it also has exclusive games like other consoles.

So to me if someone says it isn´t a console because of horse power then by that logic no console before n64 was a console. 

I think it´s dumb to not think it is a console. So are 3ds or psp not consoles either?

edit: it defenitely isnt a computer, cellphone, or mp3 player so if it isnt a console I dont know what it is

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
RolStoppable said:
Jay520 said:

Are the DS and DSi considered the same console. Because if I'm not mistaken some games on the DSi can't be played on the DS.

The DSi is much more advanced than the Ds to be considered the same console

GB and GBC fall into the same category and their sales are also combined. That's because the number of games that run exclusively on the newer model is in a clear minority.

We also combine PS2 and PStwo sales even though the latter has no port for a hard disk anymore and thus can't play Final Fantasy XI.

I don't think that's fair. COLOR is a very serious upgrade.

The Dsi is much more advanced. It has a camera, online store, built in MPS3 player, internet browser, and much more.

PS2 is still king and will be for a long time.

Color was quite a serious upgrade, actually; enough to warrant several Game Boy Color games that could not play on an original Game Boy. As for the DS vs DSi, IIRC, there are the same number of retail games at present that can't be played on it vs incompatible games from the PS2 Phat to Slim. (Foto Showdown and FF11, respectively.) Yes, the DSi has other features not in the DS, but these do not require it to have a completely seperate library. (Though if you want to be technical, the older DS does have an internet browser availiable. As of a week ago, Nintendo was still selling it directly.)

As for others in the thread, yes, the DS is a console. It is a handheld console versus a home console, but it is a console, nonetheless. End the foolish bickering over that.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Boutros said:

I've already said it many many times but I personally don't think comparing a handheld to a home console is wise.

Most families buy a DS for every one of their child.

And the price is something to consider as well.

Whether the DS is a console or not matters little. But it is a handheld.

But anyway we all know Apple will soon take the crown with the iPod touch/iPhone. That's not cool though. Even I have a iPod touch and I didn't even want one.

By this logic, PCs have taken the crown for home consoles long ago.

Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:
Carl2291 said:
Wagram said:

Technically the DS isn't a console. But it will outsell the PS2.

Uh oh!

Here comes the huge debate on what does and doesn't count as a console

DS is about to become the fastest selling "VIDEO GAME SYSTEM" ever.. There, debate over. I prefer that term because no one can debate that the DS is not a video game system :P

B... But... But teh PC!

Err, deticated video game system then? PC is not a video game system, it is a.. PC. :/

RolStoppable said:
NYANKS said:

But doesn't this change now enhance the already inherent advantages that you state offset handhelds before?  Wouldn't that now create the divide you say didn't exist before?  So hence comparisons now, if not being invalid, should at least being deserving of the asterisk: handheld*?

If things stay this way, then all future winning handhelds should outsell the winning console of the same generation. I don't think asterisks should be used though, because home consoles also shouldn't get one such as this: got all the AAA games*.

So would you say....when handhelds are executed to their greatest possible level, they should normally, naturally exceed consoles?  This would cause some headway in this debate lol.

Edit: And people, stop with the definitions. We know what it means.  But certain things have to be taken into account to get any meaning from statements. 

Around the Network
homer said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Wagram said:

DS isn't a console? Does this mean DS games technically aren't games?

In the broadest sense of the word, the DS would be a console, but so would a pc, and there are far more of them than ds's.

Wow, people are REALLY grasping for straws here in order to avoid giving Nintendo props. Honestly, comparing the DS to the PC? LOL.

DS is a deticated games system, PC is not, Iphone is not. Period.

Metallicube said:
homer said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Wagram said:

DS isn't a console? Does this mean DS games technically aren't games?

In the broadest sense of the word, the DS would be a console, but so would a pc, and there are far more of them than ds's.

Wow, people are REALLY grasping for straws here in order to avoid giving Nintendo props. Honestly, comparing the DS to the PC? LOL.

DS is a deticated games system, PC is not, Iphone is not. Period.

It's not about giving Nintendo props.  Didn't they earn that like millions of units ago?  If you follow Rol and I's posts, I think we go over the issue pretty well.  It started on top of page 9.

Bottom line: DS and PS2 are both consoles.

DS = Handheld console

PS2 = Home console

Period... End O' Story.

But if it makes the PS2 fans feel better, PS2 will still remain the best selling HOME console of all time ;). I don't think the Wii will be passing it.

RolStoppable said:
NYANKS said:
RolStoppable said:

If things stay this way, then all future winning handhelds should outsell the winning console of the same generation. I don't think asterisks should be used though, because home consoles also shouldn't get one such as this: got all the AAA games*.

So would you say....when handhelds are executed to their greatest possible level, they should normally, naturally exceed consoles?  This would cause some headway in this debate lol.

Edit: And people, stop with the definitions. We know what it means.  But certain things have to be taken into account to get any meaning from statements. 

Yes, they should.

Whenever this DS vs. PS2 subject comes up, there always are some people who say that it is nothing special because handhelds sell more by default anyway, even though it actually never really happened before. But the DS beating the PS2 is actually a big achievement, because it means that handhelds are finally making big steps away from being considered second rate gaming. If this trend that more and better games are made for handhelds keeps up, then gamers will play their portable consoles more and more at home and not just mainly on the go.

Yeah. I kinda feel like this is happening with consoles too to an extent.  It feels like so many good quality games are being made, or so much content at least, that it's hard to savor it all.  I would agree it is an achievement in what it means, but I also see it as the realization of what happens when handheld gaming performs to the extent it can.  So many people have the illusion (or relative illsuion at least) that handhelds sell better, because they really should, when all things are right.  I just hope people put it into perspective when they think about the numbers.  I am also curious to see how well handhelds can sustain this, seeing as a lot fo things went right for the DS that aren't always guaranteed.  

Metallicube said:

Bottom line: DS and PS2 are both consoles.

DS = Handheld console

PS2 = Home console

Period... End O' Story.

But if it makes the PS2 fans feel better, PS2 will still remain the best selling HOME console of all time ;). I don't think the Wii will be passing it.

People have to stop harping on a word, and focus on what the first words represent.  The argument is over the advantages in each and possible illogical stances involved in comparing them directly.  When handhelds are executed near perfectly, like the DS, this outcome should be expected.  The PS2 dominated relative to consoles like almost none before it.  This is the conclusion in a perfect console selling with a perfect handheld, if you need a comparison.  Obviously, this hasn't always happened.  I am curious to see if it continues in the future consistently.  People need perspective when comparing.