By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Super Mario being controlled by Kinect

Takes a loooong time to hit a simple coin block.

Around the Network
daroamer said:
OntheEdgeofthemirror said:
pariz said:

I said it a millon times...

Kinnect and a wiimote (or a nunchuck) would make a hell of a combination.

I am not interested in Kinnect without one though.

You mean move? Because that's basically what move is 

Move can't track your feet.  It's also not tracking your body.  Just your hands and sometimes your head (if you have adequate lighting).  So really it's not the same thing at all.

I agree with daroamer.

So it can barely control a 2D game... Amazing!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Good luck beating any Mario game with those controls. Any one know Dangerous Dave? Imagine playing that with these controls! Kinect will probably be great for traditional games built from the ground up for Kinect, but not for those built from the ground up for a d-pad.

But I gotta commend these hackers. How did he program this!?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

looks boring to me.....controlla!

Around the Network

Expect 360 hardware in Japan to jump to the 45k to 60k range this week

daroamer said:

I am getting really annoyed at people saying kinect has potential it doesn't, pretty much everything it can do the eye toy already did, sure it can do them a little bit better but thats about it, super mario is pretty much the most basic game there is and kinect can't even play that decently, you can even decide how high you want to jump, all platformers of any kind won't work with kinect, same with anything where you have to move in a 3d world, so whats left, what kinect already has and thats it 

Eyetoy did not have 3D depth sensing.  Eyetoy did very little of what Kinect can do.  The only thing you could do with Eyetoy was watch for areas in the field of view where something (anything) interfered between it and the background.  It didn't know or care where a person was, it couldn't identify you, it couldn't map your body, it couldn't see you in 3D.  A game like Joyride is impossible on Eyetoy because once your hands are in front of your body it has no way of tracking them because it can't see depth.

The only thing they share is the RGB camera and that is not really used for gameplay with Kinect, just to snap photos and shoot video mostly.

So get annoyed all you want but at least learn what you're talking about first or else you're just getting upset for no reason.

1. It does know where the person once, it can map your body (saw it in a move tech demo, but it was the eye alone doing the mapping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoeea0x4LxM time code 5:09) it has trouble with depth without the move yes but you can use algorithms to guess how far based on size to make up for it 

2. You are right on the identification but that has nothing to do with 3D camera it's software MS recently patented (2D laptop cams can do it with the software, if the software was used on pseye I see no reason it wouldn't work)

3. As for seeing you in 3D the only point you are right on what but again it can guess how far away you and and what exactly are the advantages of that gaming wise? There are almost no games where you move yourself on a 3D plane, kinect joy ride being the exception, of course that one is semi on rails the amount the game automatically guides you and you really only move from side to side I don't see how pseye couldn't do it, it would just need more obvious movements but thats about it the game isn't impossible you just have to change how it controls which really wouldn't be the hard 

You are the one that doesn't know what they are talking about not me 

daroamer said:
pariz said:

I said it a millon times...

Kinnect and a wiimote (or a nunchuck) would make a hell of a combination.

I am not interested in Kinnect without one though.

You mean move? Because that's basically what move is 

Move can't track your feet.  It's also not tracking your body.  Just your hands and sometimes your head (if you have adequate lighting).  So really it's not the same thing at all.

Yes it can track your feet, in sorcery E3 demo when the guy changed his stance so did the character (stance as in feet), so it's almost exactly the same thing, kinect is BETTER at tracking depth on feet but psmove can guess it accurately enough 

thranx said:
daroamer said:

I am getting really annoyed at people saying kinect has potential it doesn't, pretty much everything it can do the eye toy already did, sure it can do them a little bit better but thats about it, super mario is pretty much the most basic game there is and kinect can't even play that decently, you can even decide how high you want to jump, all platformers of any kind won't work with kinect, same with anything where you have to move in a 3d world, so whats left, what kinect already has and thats it 

Eyetoy did not have 3D depth sensing.  Eyetoy did very little of what Kinect can do.  The only thing you could do with Eyetoy was watch for areas in the field of view where something (anything) interfered between it and the background.  It didn't know or care where a person was, it couldn't identify you, it couldn't map your body, it couldn't see you in 3D.  A game like Joyride is impossible on Eyetoy because once your hands are in front of your body it has no way of tracking them because it can't see depth.

The only thing they share is the RGB camera and that is not really used for gameplay with Kinect, just to snap photos and shoot video mostly.

So get annoyed all you want but at least learn what you're talking about first or else you're just getting upset for no reason.

Great post. Its so hard for some people to get the differences between the two. Glad yor here to clear things up for them.

Except for the fact that almost all the points he made are wrong

daroamer said:

1. It does know where the person once, it can map your body (saw it in a move tech demo, but it was the eye alone doing the mapping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoeea0x4LxM time code 5:09) it has trouble with depth without the move yes but you can use algorithms to guess how far based on size to make up for it 

2. You are right on the identification but that has nothing to do with 3D camera it's software MS recently patented (2D laptop cams can do it with the software, if the software was used on pseye I see no reason it wouldn't work)

3. As for seeing you in 3D the only point you are right on what but again it can guess how far away you and and what exactly are the advantages of that gaming wise? There are almost no games where you move yourself on a 3D plane, kinect joy ride being the exception, of course that one is semi on rails the amount the game automatically guides you and you really only move from side to side I don't see how pseye couldn't do it, it would just need more obvious movements but thats about it the game isn't impossible you just have to change how it controls which really wouldn't be the hard 

You are the one that doesn't know what they are talking about not me 

Well that right there proves you've never used Kinect and have no clue about the device.  Almost all the games I have have you moving on a 3D plane. 

In Kinect sports table tennis you can move closer and farther away from the table.  Same with volleyball. When bowling it adjusts the camera depending on which way you're facing, it's not just a side to side thing, it know if I'm turned to the left or right.

Your Shape (or any fitness game) has you moving about on a 3D plane.  Watch any video of it.  There is a specific playspace where you do the exercises and you move within all dimensions in that playspace.   Plus the exercises require depth like when you're doing the block breaking activity you need to punch forward and to the side, not just left or right. 

In Kinectimals I can walk around my pet in 3D, the camera angle moves with the direction I'm facing. 

In the underwater minigame in Kinect Adventures you need to move forwards and backwards in order stop the leaks from happening. 

There are countless examples. 

Although I'm convinced you're just here to troll Kinect so I'll leave it at that.