By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you a casual gamer...?

Words Of Wisdom said:
Grey Acumen said:

On the other side are casual games. Like sims or some mario games, puzzle games and things like Wii sports. These games can all generally be played in short periods of time and set aside to play later, without being put at a disadvantage or losing track of the storyline.

I feel bad now. I lost track of Wii Sports' storyline before I played my first game of it.

my point is that wii Sports doesn't really have a storyline to lose track of at all.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

Im hardcore on the weekends
but casual during workdays

Words Of Wisdom said:
My system for telling casual versus hardcore is very simple.

If you can beat Super Mario Bros. 3, you are hardcore.

If you cannot beat Super Mario Bros. 3, you are casual.

Strangely enough, it works brilliantly.

Yes, I also apply this system.

For genres, I consider those incredibly hard (a.k.a. easy for people at the time) NES/Arcade games like Battletoad and R-Type hardcore. Fighting games come right in that category too.

For companies themselves, I would consider both Konami and Capcom the definition of hardcore gaming. They are the kings at making incredible games that require lots of skills and reflexes to complete!

I mean c'mon, if anyone here can't beat Contra without using the Konami code, you're not hardcore, k thx bay! =P

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Words Of Wisdom said:

Yay ive been hardcore since 1992. My system is can you get 172 platinums on PGR2, if so you are hardcore bordering on a freak. Im sure many, many, many self proclaimed hardcore gamers would call me a casual gamer. Maybe I am...Who knows, personally I couldnt give a  @$^* 

Ironically, now that I am getting old (24) I find myself reading about games more than playing them.
While I certainly have an interest in games, I feel like I am so busy with real world relationships and activities that I am kind of forced into the role of "casual gamer". It's pretty bizarre.

Around the Network

I think the term "hardcore gamer" is bandied about too often these days. Usually, people who refer to themselves as hardcore gamers are actually just graphics snobs.

To me, a hardcore gamer is someone that appreciates good games on any platform, and doesn't allow their bias to cloud their appreciation of good gameplay. Hardcore gamers just want to play games, period. They have an itch that one console or platform or PC or publishing house alone can't scratch.

A casual gamer, to me, is someone that just wants a pick up and play experience for a few hours a month, and is looking at a minimal investment.

Words Of Wisdom said:

There are people who can't beat Super Maro Brothers 3? I just think people call themselves hardcore gamers because it makes them feel better about when they play games so it doesn't seem to themselves they are wasting there time on pure amusment. Any game they don't like is then deemed "Casual" because if they were also hardcore it would bruise their egos.

I consider everyone on this forum hardcore, because anyone who participates in video game discussion online is hardcore in my book.

I used to be a hard core gamer, but not any more. I still play video games, though, but perhaps I am more of a game collector now.

I find that a lot of these "hardcore" gamers only label themselves that as a defense mechanism towards the "casual" gamer. I mean that people who have spent their entire lives playing games need something to distance themselves from someone who has only started playing recently. It seems to a pride thing in a lot of cases and a way to make themselves feel better with the influx of new gamers. Its just the term confuses me, i know someone who considers himself a hardcore gamer despite only ever owning the Xbox consoles, having never played a Mario game and having a library of games that consist of only FPS' and racers. That to me means that he has missed out on so much and i could never consider someone with such a closed mentality to be a hardcore gamer.

Games i'm currently playing: