By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you a casual gamer...?

Words Of Wisdom said:
W29 said:
mancandy said:
I am playing Super Paper Mario right now. Mario doesn't carry any guns or make anyone bleed. So I am casual right?

We are talking about Super Mario Bros. 3 for GBA.

GBA!?    You, sir, shame us all.

Actually I mistaken it with Super Mario Advance 3: Super Mario Bros. 3

Thats what I meant to say.

Around the Network
W29 said:
mancandy said:
I am playing Super Paper Mario right now. Mario doesn't carry any guns or make anyone bleed. So I am casual right?

We are talking about Super Mario Bros. 3 for GBA.

I wasn't. Oh...I beat that game when I was 14...with my Power Glove.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

^casual

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Ah I beat Super Mario 3 many times and just about every version from NES, to SNES with all-stars, to the GBA version, so does the amount of times you beat it count toward how hardcore you are?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Ah I beat Super Mario 3 many times and just about every version from NES, to SNES with all-stars, to the GBA version, so does the amount of times you beat it count toward how hardcore you are?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

twelve times

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

and backwards too

Well, since I play less than 5 hours per month, I'd say I'm casual. However, I get pretty hardcore when it comes to Bioware games or some other RPGS. Spend 100+ hours on Buldar's Gate and another 100+ on Guild Wars. Finished KOTOR (PC). But inbetween great RPGs, I'm definately very casual.

I'm an ex-hardcore console gamer, current hardcore PC-gamer, probably will go back to consoles when I step into this gen next year.

My view on Hardcore and Casual is possibly a little different than most people.

a Hardcore gamer refers to someone who, when listing their three top priority activities, will have gaming in one of those places. They will invest a signifigantly greater amount of time and money for playing games.

Casual gamers are those who have some other combination for their top 3 activities, like the average person might be "Job, Significant Other, TV" or "Job, Significant Other, School" or "Job, School, TV" or "school, after school club activity, TV"

In my eyes, Hardcore games are those which require you to devote a large and usually constant amount of time and focus in order to best enjoy. The easiest test to tell if a game is hardcore is if you can play it only 30 minutes a week and still know what the hell is going on.
For example, take Smash Bros. If you play against friends every day, then stop playing for about a month, and then come back to it, it will be very unlikely that you will be able to compete at the same level as your friends.
In MMORPGs, if you take a month long break, people who you had formed parties with would likely be many levels above you with new items, leaving you at a disadvantage.
In games like Baldur's Gate II, if you take a month long break in the middle of the game, it will be very unlikely that you can remember where the heck in the storyline you are, and what areas are yet to be explored.

On the other side are casual games. Like sims or some mario games, puzzle games and things like Wii sports. These games can all generally be played in short periods of time and set aside to play later, without being put at a disadvantage or losing track of the storyline.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her