By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you a casual gamer...?

I have been playing games for over 20 years now, i have a library of games that is well over 300 on all consoles and currently own 15 on Wii, not to mention 30 virtual console games. I have a Nintendo bias but enjoy games on all systems (i own 2, housemate owns PS3) Yet anytime anyone makes a list describing what a casual gamer is, i can see lots of things that cover me in there. It makes me wonder "am i a casual gamer?". I love my intense "hardcore" games yet am looking forward to Wii Fit etc. How do you determine hardcore or casual these days? In my eyes, you cant, you either play games for the sheer enjoyment and play many varying types (i.e what i see as a casual gamer) which in turn leads to a greater knowledge of games or you distance yourself from certain types and dont play them because they are more casually orientated, which seems to me to be arrogance and thus can only allow you to ever reach a select amount of knowledge in gaming. What i am, i don't know. What you are and what you think is interesting.

Games i'm currently playing:

Around the Network

My system for telling casual versus hardcore is very simple.

If you can beat Super Mario Bros. 3, you are hardcore.

If you cannot beat Super Mario Bros. 3, you are casual.

Strangely enough, it works brilliantly.

Well the last time I answered this question, my response was NO!

Reason being, I come to various gaming sites and post about video games. I play really hardcore like games. I talk on the phone sometimes about video games, I read video game magazines.

So really I am a hardcore gamer that likes games, and I would by countless games if I had the money too. But I like to conserve my money though, so games is not that serious. So that does knock some points off me being Hardcore. But other than that I'm a Regular Gamer.

I think the biggest difference between hardcore and casual is the amount spent playing rather than which titles. Also the way you play will be different, like people who "need" to have 100% completion or get the ultimate weapons or beat this or that record.
Not to mention the fact that hardcore gamers are far more likely to spend their time on sites like Vgchartz inbetween playing their games!
I am definately a hardcore gamer myself, and I think most of the members here are, including you!

id call you a hardcore gamer...
my definition is someone hu will rush out to buy a new game/console and spend alot of time on it
im kinda in the middle...i own a ps3 since launch but only have 3 games for it

Consoles I own: Dreamcast, PSP

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:

Well I can't beat Super Mario Bros. 3, but I can beat Super Mario Sunshine.

W29 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Well I can't beat Super Mario Bros. 3, but I can beat Super Mario Sunshine.

Then you are obviously a casual gamer.  Go back to your Viva Pinata. 

playing 20 hours a week, so i guess I'm casual

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Words Of Wisdom said:

i cant beat it but i wouldnt call myself a casual

i dont knwo i dont care what i am any more i play games--but every time i hear hardcore i think of teh guys from harold and kuhmar--you know that white caslte movie--

The group of guys that slam montain dew and trash the one shop---all the while secretly listening to 80's soft rock