By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - North Korea fires artillery at a populated South Korean Island

Kasz216 said:
mai said:

Situation is just getting more interesting by the minute, it's been reported that "South Korea admitted conducting "military exercises" on the island and firing artillery westward. North Korea claimed it was attacked and returned fire". I've failed to find english source, so no links.

It's on the BBC story I think... if not.  I did already read that yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4vJ952zeQ

The arguement being "did they fire north or west."

The hell was that link? o.O

Some attack on atheism based on guilt by assoication?

Around the Network

As if the world is not full of wars already, we seriously need Liquid Snake to break this system.

hobbit said:

I don't think china really cares about afghanistan, they probably enjoy that america is there taking all the terrorist angst.

Another ORLY moment, this thread is so awesome.

And to that matter, China can't be really happy about it, considering Afhgan more than doubled opium production under UN banner, which is of course some pure coincidence ;)

i cant help but wonder if, at this point, war is inevitable.

im seriously expecting a US vs. Spain. 1898, the USS Maine mysteriously blew up in havana harbor, and the US gov't jumped to the conclusion that it had been blown up by the spanish(it is now believed to have been a boiler explosion), sending them into war. though, if it werent for the Maine incident, it would have been some other random incident that set the US, or even Spain, off.

i think that something will happen, be it another ship being sunk, a military plane blown out of the air, or something as small as a building fire near the DMZ, to set both countries off and into war. i seriously feel like, in some ways, both countries are looking for an excuse. it seems that at least NK is, and are even trying to provoke SK into making some rash decisions so they can say they are justified.

Around the Network
Kantor said:

Everyone citing size of military as a reason why North Korea is a powerful nation:

Russia in the First World War. Russia had, by quite a long way, the largest army in the world. 15 million people fought in the Russian army from 1914-1917. And what happened? They were destroyed by the far smaller armies of Germany and Austro-Hungary.

Size counts for nothing. The North Korean army, like the Tsarist Russian army, is poorly trained, poorly equipped and poorly supplied.

EDIT: Also, in 2003 (last valid data), North Korean military expenditure was estimated at $5 billion. South Korean was $21 billion. South Korea has half as many active personnel in the army. So, spending per army member is eight times as high in South Korea as in the "DPR".

Seriously.  I remember a comparison on CNN on training between the Marines and the Afghani rebels, the Marines were so much more efficient.  It was like they kill 10 plus for every one Marine killed, or some insane crap like that. 

I also remember this one news story where some U.S. helicopter crashed, and 3 soldiers survived and were surrounded by a lot of enemies and either managed to kill them all and survive or died while killing them all.

TX109 said:

im seriously expecting a US vs. Spain. 1898, the USS Maine mysteriously blew up in havana harbor, and the US gov't jumped to the conclusion that it had been blown up by the spanish(it is now believed to have been a boiler explosion), sending them into war. though, if it werent for the Maine incident, it would have been some other random incident that set the US, or even Spain, off.

i think that something will happen, be it another ship being sunk, a military plane blown out of the air, or something as small as a building fire near the DMZ, to set both countries off and into war. i seriously feel like, in some ways, both countries are looking for an excuse. it seems that at least NK is, and are even trying to provoke SK into making some rash decisions so they can say they are justified.

If South Korea was looking for an excuse they'd be at war long ago. However they know a war would tank their economy so in reality a war would be bad for them and they know it.

Kantor said:

I did read your post, and responded to it.

You said that the DPRK had been winning the Korean War in 1950, and I agreed and offered an explanation as to why.

Then you described some ideal (?) scenario in which NATO didn't step in to combat an illegal invasion of South Korea by DPRK, in which the DPRK stood some significant chance of defeating ROK.

How could you say that you've read carefully, when it's obvious you didn't? It was exactly the opposite, I was talking about defensive operation on part of DPRK army only. Could we, please, close this topic already?

Rath said:
TX109 said:

If South Korea was looking for an excuse they'd be at war long ago. However they know a war would tank their economy so in reality a war would be bad for them and they know it.

That's true. 

Every war fighter simulation ends with the same results. The only issue is how much damage the DPRK can inflict before they throw in the towel. 

But even after "winning" a conflict that resulted in a reintegrated Korea, the ROK still loses by having to clean up the mess and foot the bill.

Global economy is tied into Korea's too. No winners in this one which is why the policy towards the DPRK has always been detente every time they make another play to be the agitator, stay visible and stay "relevant" by conducting missile tests, conducting nuclear tests, torpedoing a ship outside their waters, firing artillery shells on civilians, etc. ad nauseum. 

Rath said:
Kasz216 said:
mai said:

Situation is just getting more interesting by the minute, it's been reported that "South Korea admitted conducting "military exercises" on the island and firing artillery westward. North Korea claimed it was attacked and returned fire". I've failed to find english source, so no links.

It's on the BBC story I think... if not.  I did already read that yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4vJ952zeQ

The arguement being "did they fire north or west."

The hell was that link? o.O

Some attack on atheism based on guilt by assoication?

Wrong like, the beggining is annoying as hell, but I was trying to find the footage of a Jeffery Dhamer interview... and unfortunitly the only videos i could find of said video had similiar things like that in the beggining.