By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - North Korea fires artillery at a populated South Korean Island

mrstickball said:

A war between north and south would be incredibly bloody. But the South would win it pretty handily. The DPRK is using technology from the 60s and 70s, whereas the Koreans are litterally in the top-3 for most the most advanced military in the world (right there with US and Israel, and their new assault rifles are arguably the best in the world).

Nothing I've said contradict what you've said. Though a little remark should be made in the sake of history. South Korean army was armed with american small arms prior to conflict though seriously lacked in armoured vehicles and tanks (little to no aviation on both sides until UN forces got involved and eventually SU later same year). Not sure what troops you're talking about, there were no Soviet land forces in Korea.

Back on topic, I've descibed only one scenario in which DPRK army has a chance - invasion of South Korea on their territory -  at this current state DPRK army is incapabale of similar scale operation on South Korean territory obviously.

//And yes, that Israel part was lolworthy.

@Kantor Ok, I get it you don't actually read carefully posts of other people, you may ignore this as well.

Around the Network
mai said:

mrstickball said:

A war between north and south would be incredibly bloody. But the South would win it pretty handily. The DPRK is using technology from the 60s and 70s, whereas the Koreans are litterally in the top-3 for most the most advanced military in the world (right there with US and Israel, and their new assault rifles are arguably the best in the world).

Nothing I've said contradict what you've said. Though a little remark should be made in the sake of history. South Korean army was armed with american small arms prior to conflict though seriously lacked in armoured vehicles and tanks (little to no aviation on both sides until UN forces got involved and eventually SU later same year). Not sure what troops you're talking about, there were no Soviet land forces in Korea.

Back on topic, I've descibed only one scenario in which DPRK army has a chance - invasion of South Korea on their territory -  at this current state DPRK army is incapabale of similar scale operation on South Korean territory obviously.

//And yes, that Israel part was lolworthy.

What part of Israel's armed forces are lol-worthy? Their avionics surpassed virtually every other country for their air force

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:

What part of Israel's armed forces are lol-worthy? Their avionics surpassed virtually every other country for their air force

Though I'm not absolutely ignorant on that matter, but I must say that avionics is outside my competence unfortunately. I meant Israeli MBTs first and foremost, an practically all that goes with it from gun to reactive and active armour technology including fire control system etc.

UPD: And we're getting off topic, while it's late here. Hopefully, they won't start a war while I'm asleep =)

mai said

@Kantor Ok, I get it you don't actually read carefully posts of other people, you may ignore this as well.

I did read your post, and responded to it.

You said that the DPRK had been winning the Korean War in 1950, and I agreed and offered an explanation as to why.

Then you described some ideal (?) scenario in which NATO didn't step in to combat an illegal invasion of South Korea by DPRK, in which the DPRK stood some significant chance of defeating ROK. And really, the response was the same: really, even on its own, the ROK could easily defeat the DPRK in this day and age. It wouldn't be easy, and it would be violent, but they would win.

Of course, they wouldn't be fighting alone, because any invasion would be met with American, NATO and UN troops, and without Russia and China to prop it up, the North Korean army would be obliterated.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

mai said:

mrstickball said:

Though I'm not absolutely ignorant on that matter, but I must say that avionics is outside my competence unfortunately. I meant Israeli MBTs first and foremost, an practically all that goes with it from gun to reactive and active armour technology including fire control system etc.

UPD: And we're getting off topic, while it's late here. Hopefully, they won't start a war while I'm asleep =)

It's called senior suter technology. US has been working on it for while. Whether we gave it to them, they stole it, or they developed it on their own, we don't know.

Part 1:  http://www.airforce-technology.com/features/feature1625/

Part 2:  http://www.airforce-technology.com/features/feature1669/

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Cross-X said:

The point is also that ever since the Chinese revealed that North Korea wasn't involved, South Korea became silent about the situation until the report was released.

Also whether the Chinese are right about a US Mine sinking the Ship isn't the point. Point is the North Korean didn't sink the ship.

Again, i've yet to see where they "reveal they weren't involved".

You've literally provided no proof.

The attempts at trying to disprove it have actually greatly contradicted each other.

The "struck a reef" arguement holds no weight.

There was no proof of an american mine...

They found a Korean Torpedo.

It was an explosive reef. Made out of Korean torpedo parts.

Satisfied?

greenmedic88 said:
Kasz216 said:
Cirio said:

Goddamn stop wasting resources in Afghanistan and freaking invade N.Korea, NATO! Shove democracy down their throats and break the barrier between North and South Korea like the Berlin wall. Seriously, they're the biggest threat to the world right now.

A war in Korea would be no different then a war in Afghanistan.

Well except SUPER pissing off the chinese.

North Korea borders China, NATO probably couldn't invade if they wanted to.

Think if China sent a bunch of troops to mexico to help with their druglord problem.

This one is all on China.

In a nutshell, the PRC (China) doesn't want an "American colony" right at their border. It would be the equivalent of about 36,000 Russians personnel in Canada or Mexico.

Any invasion of the DPRK (North Korea) that pressed too far north to the Yalu River (DPRK/PRC border) would simply turn into a complete repeat of history with China sending its troops across the border to defend its territory. 

The truth is, neither the ROK (South Korea) nor the PRC want the DPRK to collapse. Neither wants to deal with the flood of refugees that would cross both borders, and no one wants to foot the bill of reintegrating the Korean peninsula. 

I know its not the same but Afghanistan borders China too.

ManusJustus said:
Cirio said:

Goddamn stop wasting resources in Afghanistan and freaking invade N.Korea, NATO! Shove democracy down their throats and break the barrier between North and South Korea like the Berlin wall. Seriously, they're the biggest threat to the world right now.

Islamic Fundamentalists are the biggest threat to the world and have posed much more threat to Americans that the Soviet Union or North Korea.

Tensions may have been high between the USA and USSR, but nobody was going to do anything about it because of mutually assured destruction.  And since both the  USA and USSR didn't want to kill other civilians or have many of their own killed, war never occurred. 

Thats not the case with Islamic Terrorists.  Their religious principles cause them to act horribly irrational, and if they ever get a weapon of mass destruction they won't hesistate to use it.  The USSR with 10000 nukes is a much better alternative than than Al Queda with 1.

North Korea and South Korea have been in a civil war for decades now, but neither side is going to do something drastic.  North Korea only does these things now, like secretly attack a ship or walk away from talks, because they know they can get away with it.

Terrorism is actually a very rational tool, you just have to look at who benefits from what

Why does Hamas insist on the destruction of Israel even though it's likely the Palestinian Authority could get a good deal if Hamas didn't exist? Because it's the damn PA getting the spoils, and not Hamas, so they spoil negotiations they are not a part of

Even 9/11 makes a good deal of sense in that regard, if you frame it as Bin Laden trying to win legitimacy for al-Qaeda among other Jihadist groups

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

O-D-C said:
greenmedic88 said:
Kasz216 said:
Cirio said:

A war in Korea would be no different then a war in Afghanistan.

Well except SUPER pissing off the chinese.

North Korea borders China, NATO probably couldn't invade if they wanted to.

Think if China sent a bunch of troops to mexico to help with their druglord problem.

This one is all on China.

In a nutshell, the PRC (China) doesn't want an "American colony" right at their border. It would be the equivalent of about 36,000 Russians personnel in Canada or Mexico.

Any invasion of the DPRK (North Korea) that pressed too far north to the Yalu River (DPRK/PRC border) would simply turn into a complete repeat of history with China sending its troops across the border to defend its territory. 

The truth is, neither the ROK (South Korea) nor the PRC want the DPRK to collapse. Neither wants to deal with the flood of refugees that would cross both borders, and no one wants to foot the bill of reintegrating the Korean peninsula. 

I know its not the same but Afghanistan borders China too.

it's only 76 Km. I don't think china really cares about afghanistan, they probably enjoy that america is there taking all the terrorist angst.

Mr Khan said:
ManusJustus said:
Cirio said:

Islamic Fundamentalists are the biggest threat to the world and have posed much more threat to Americans that the Soviet Union or North Korea.

Tensions may have been high between the USA and USSR, but nobody was going to do anything about it because of mutually assured destruction.  And since both the  USA and USSR didn't want to kill other civilians or have many of their own killed, war never occurred. 

Thats not the case with Islamic Terrorists.  Their religious principles cause them to act horribly irrational, and if they ever get a weapon of mass destruction they won't hesistate to use it.  The USSR with 10000 nukes is a much better alternative than than Al Queda with 1.

North Korea and South Korea have been in a civil war for decades now, but neither side is going to do something drastic.  North Korea only does these things now, like secretly attack a ship or walk away from talks, because they know they can get away with it.

Terrorism is actually a very rational tool, you just have to look at who benefits from what

Why does Hamas insist on the destruction of Israel even though it's likely the Palestinian Authority could get a good deal if Hamas didn't exist? Because it's the damn PA getting the spoils, and not Hamas, so they spoil negotiations they are not a part of

Even 9/11 makes a good deal of sense in that regard, if you frame it as Bin Laden trying to win legitimacy for al-Qaeda among other Jihadist groups

Couldn't agree more.  Al Queda was in dire straits until 9/11.