By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - North Korea fires artillery at a populated South Korean Island

Situation is just getting more interesting by the minute, it's been reported that "South Korea admitted conducting "military exercises" on the island and firing artillery westward. North Korea claimed it was attacked and returned fire". I've failed to find english source, so no links.

Around the Network
mai said:

Situation is just getting more interesting by the minute, it's been reported that "South Korea admitted conducting "military exercises" on the island and firing artillery westward. North Korea claimed it was attacked and returned fire". I've failed to find english source, so no links.

It's on the BBC story I think... if not.  I did already read that yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4vJ952zeQ

The arguement being "did they fire north or west."

Kasz216 said:

Though Islamic terrorists don't act that way because of religion... they act that way because they have no country.

I think an atheist Communist is going to act much more rationally than a zealous Muslim, country or no country.

Just wait till those assholes unite to Iran to start a nuclear war with whoever doesn't believe in their imaginary friend, Allah.

Everyone citing size of military as a reason why North Korea is a powerful nation:

Russia in the First World War. Russia had, by quite a long way, the largest army in the world. 15 million people fought in the Russian army from 1914-1917. And what happened? They were destroyed by the far smaller armies of Germany and Austro-Hungary.

Size counts for nothing. The North Korean army, like the Tsarist Russian army, is poorly trained, poorly equipped and poorly supplied.

EDIT: Also, in 2003 (last valid data), North Korean military expenditure was estimated at $5 billion. South Korean was $21 billion. South Korea has half as many active personnel in the army. So, spending per army member is eight times as high in South Korea as in the "DPR".

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

^Yet another who do not know what he's talking about.

May I remind you that DPRK steamrolled South Korea before US and UK forces landed in Pusan preimeter in 1950, and even that operation was successful due to superiority in tanks and artillery: 40 tanks (even though vastly superior to anything T-34-85 ;) ) and 800 plus artillery (DPRK) vs. 500 tanks and 1600 plus artillery (UN and South Korean forces) with support from aviation and naval military groups.

I won't say that scenario will repeat itself even if imagine some ideal world where NATO won't get into conflict and only Korean forces from both sides will engage into battle, but even considering lack of proper tech from DPRK side the war will get bloody fast and victory (if they achieve one) will be pyrrhic for South Korea, if... if... they do really plan a full scale invasion completely on their own, which is, again, completely improbable scenario.

@Kantor Why didn't you compare GDP for that matter? Following massive success of Wii Bingo I'll get a sequel Bingo game for you ready =)

Cross-X said:

We have no one else to blame but 1 person.

South Korea's president Lee fuckin Myung Bak.

The douchebag has no clue of what his role is.

The previous South Korean President, Roh Moo Hyun just barely managed to establish a half stable relationship between North and South during his 4 years. Kim Jong Ill liked President Roh a lot. In fact he liked Roh so much that he invited him a few times over to North Korea and gave him precious mushrooms as welcoming gifts, etc and they would talk about how to strengthen their relationships. It was a very small yet effective step forward for a reunification of North and South Korea. But after his Presidency had ended that retard Lee took over, he managed to pretty much break the hard built relationship in one go.

He despises the North and stated that he would take strong action against North Korea. Bullshit. He hasn't done jackshit but piss off the North.

Earlier this year a South Korean Ship sank for some unknown reason initially and although there was no proof, Lee completely placed the blame on North Korea and stated that they were the ones who launched torpedoes at their ship and therefore sunk. North got seriously pissed off by this and the Chinese defended North Korea by sending their own agents to investigate the cause and it was shown by them that it wasn't a North Korean torpedo attack. South Korea's Lee dragged this stupid accusation out for at least a month until the Chinese got involved and shut them up.

This 'incident' as a result pretty much occurred all thanks to the dickhead Lee and North Korea is pretty much saying, Don't fuck around with us.

Uhhh. You realize the international commission that did a fact-finding mission on the Cheonan proved without a doubt the North Koreans did it, right?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mai said:

May I remind you that DPRK steamrolled South Korea before US and UK forces landed in Pusan preimeter in 1950, and even that operation was successful due to superiority in tanks and artillery: 40 tanks (even though vastly superior to anything T-34-85 ;) ) and 800 plus artillery (DPRK) vs. 500 tanks and 1600 plus artillery (UN and South Korean forces) with support from aviation and naval military groups.

I won't say that scenario will repeat itself even if imagine some ideal world where NATO won't get into conflict and only Korean forces from both sides will engage into battle, but even considering lack of proper tech from DPRK side the war will get bloody fast and victory (if they achieve one) will be pyrrhic for South Korea, if... if... they do really plan a full scale invasion completely on their own, which is, again, completely improbable scenario.

@Kantor Why didn't you compare GDP for that matter? Following massive success of Wii Bingo I'll get a sequel Bingo game for you ready =)

There is a reason the DPRK was winning. They had training, troops and equipment from the Soviet Union during the Manchurian campaign. Comparatively, South Korea did not.

A war between north and south would be incredibly bloody. But the South would win it pretty handily. The DPRK is using technology from the 60s and 70s, whereas the Koreans are litterally in the top-3 for most the most advanced military in the world (right there with US and Israel, and their new assault rifles are arguably the best in the world).

Kasz216 said:
mai said:

Hmm, it's been reported that South Korean airstikes hit DPRK. Is this true or am I missing smth?

I heard they fired back, and sent Fighter Jets to the area... haven't heard of an airstrike yet... but maybe.

They called off the airstrikes. However, they did authorize counter-battery fire from K-9 artillery on the island. It is rumored that the strike totally wiped out the position that conducted the strike against the island.

mai said:

In the 1950s, North Korea had support from both the Soviet Union and China, arguably two of the three most powerful countries in the world. Russia and China were much closer geographically to Korea, and would have a lot more to gain if Korea became Communist.

Russia and China are now somewhat moderate and on good terms with America, so I don't see that scenario repeating itself.

And as you said, it was due to superior technology on the part of DPRK, which they no longer have.

If Kim Jong-Il sent his entire army into South Korea, his army would be destroyed and his capital burned to rubble within a month. In an ideal world.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective