By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - U.S. music games sales .... it's in free fall dudes.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
richardhutnik said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

Thank you Activision.  I only hope your 3 Call of Duty games in a year can do the same to the FPS market.

So, what wil the videogame industry have driving it, if the FPS market does the same?  We could be looking at a mini-Crash, kinda like the early 1980s.

I don't believe that the FPS market is driving the industry at all.  If it is, it's driving the industry into a smaller, less diverse, less experimental niche.  I think the market would do fine without FPS games, just like it did before Doom.  We have a constantly expanding and shifting pool of genres, and losing one has never hurt the industry overall.  We have all sorts of new genres and ways to play, and ways to interact with the games, and the market is currently expanding in every direction under the sun, from touchscreen games to motion games to camera games to balance games to Flash games to iPhone games, exercise, dance, you name it.  If there are 3 Call of Duty mega-flops in one year, it would hurt Activision, but it wouldn't hurt the industry.

It won't happen anyway, you are showing a perfect example here: Before Doom. You do know that is has been quite a few years since Doom was made right?? That's like almost half the time we actually play games.  FPS won't ever go away, there will always be a base that is big enough to warrant many titles still being made. I do somewhat like the thought of Activision screwing up again though. Too bad they still have Blizzard.

Around the Network

Its the same as the Skate market. In any case the music genre was always vulnerable because it relies upon selling 100s of $$$ of hardware in order to play them.

Tease.

Beuli2 said:
richardhutnik said:
Beuli2 said:

I blame the casuals.

People with lives other than games don't feel the need to keep buying the same type of games over and over.  One has to wonder if the FPS genre is going to hit the wall like this at some point.

It will be the casuals fault too!

It will be Activision's fault again =P lol but maybe this one could be blamed on the casuals...maybe...

Really no surprise!

This was going to happen sooner or later.There are many causes for this.

1.Overstarcion:To many music games are out every year.

2.No real changes:You can say that 95% of music really have nothing new just new songs and you would be right.

3.Cost to much:We are in a recession people are not going to spend a 120 dollars for one game and they can get 2 for the same price.

Kennyheart said:

Really no surprise!

This was going to happen sooner or later.There are many causes for this.

1.Overstarcion:To many music games are out every year.

2.No real changes:You can say that 95% of music really have nothing new just new songs and you would be right.

3.Cost to much:We are in a recession people are not going to spend a 120 dollars for one game and they can get 2 for the same price.

a good amount of those music games suck too like band hero or lego rock band, u know those little spin-offs -_-

Around the Network

Watch Wii Music 2 save the day.

"To play or not to play, that is the question."- A wise man

Lifetime sales prediction

Wii 79/150 million

Xbox 360 47.7/73 Million

PS3 43.6/69 Million

richardhutnik said:
Beuli2 said:

I blame the casuals.

People with lives other than games don't feel the need to keep buying the same type of games over and over.  One has to wonder if the FPS genre is going to hit the wall like this at some point.

No, because first-person shooters have been popular for nearly 20 years and are not a fad like music games.

It is sad, because the music genre is one of the most fun.  I am especially saddened to see Rock Band 3 not perform strongly. I really had high hopes for Rock Band 3-- and I will still buy this game but the Squier guitar is not out yet.  I was hoping Rock Band 3 would set a trend of music games offering ability to play real instruments.

There have been some great music games I have enjoyed over the years:  Dance Dance Revolution (pretty much obsolete now with games like Just Dance and Dance Central), Taiko Drum Master, Rhythm Heaven, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and SingStar. 

I still hope to get Rock Band 3 and DefJam Rapstar-- I always thought that the music genre had some of the most innovative games.  It will be sad to see less innovation in this sector now that it has bottomed out.  Plus, I really wanted to see a Led Zeppelin Rock Band game someday.

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

No surprise there. With little to no change between each iteration, a gazillion of sequels each year and very expensive accessories it was bound to happen.

They should've had a two year break between each iteration and relied more on DLC.

I guess the next question is which franchise will continue to exist: Guitar Hero, Rock Band, or neither. The Hero brand has sold better every year except 2009, and Harmonix may switch to dancing games depending on how well Dance Central sells. If Activision ends up having no competition, they might release a game every year and have reasonable sales. If Kinect fails and Harmonix still makes Rock Bands, both brands might die. But Rock Band might die no matter what, considering Harmonix's 2009 layoffs and Viacom's trying to sell them off.

So long story short, I predict one Guitar Hero game a year from Activision until the end of time.

As a best case scenario.

Good Night!

Love and tolerate.