By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - U.S. music games sales .... it's in free fall dudes.

The Ghost of RubangB said:

Thank you Activision.  I only hope your 3 Call of Duty games in a year can do the same to the FPS market.

So, what wil the videogame industry have driving it, if the FPS market does the same?  We could be looking at a mini-Crash, kinda like the early 1980s.

Around the Network

Reinforces what happened in the UK.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=118786

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

richardhutnik said:
Beuli2 said:

I blame the casuals.

People with lives other than games don't feel the need to keep buying the same type of games over and over.  One has to wonder if the FPS genre is going to hit the wall like this at some point.

It will be the casuals fault too!

Above: still the best game of the year.

richardhutnik said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

Thank you Activision.  I only hope your 3 Call of Duty games in a year can do the same to the FPS market.

So, what wil the videogame industry have driving it, if the FPS market does the same?  We could be looking at a mini-Crash, kinda like the early 1980s.

I don't believe that the FPS market is driving the industry at all.  If it is, it's driving the industry into a smaller, less diverse, less experimental niche.  I think the market would do fine without FPS games, just like it did before Doom.  We have a constantly expanding and shifting pool of genres, and losing one has never hurt the industry overall.  We have all sorts of new genres and ways to play, and ways to interact with the games, and the market is currently expanding in every direction under the sun, from touchscreen games to motion games to camera games to balance games to Flash games to iPhone games, exercise, dance, you name it.  If there are 3 Call of Duty mega-flops in one year, it would hurt Activision, but it wouldn't hurt the industry.

Music games like this should consider a more traditional PMP sales system. Buy the platform as little as possible, but encourage song sales individually more. The game companies uses a standard software sales model by trying to sell the game annually with off shoots of bands. This led to a song is secondary kind of sale mentality.  All they should have done was design the platform software once every 2 years and focus on song sales more. Heck selling song game cards would have been better. But selling 1-3 Software platforms yearly yeah. that pretty much injured the market.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network

It might change in a few years.  The Dance (music) genre was a decent size years ago but DDR got less and less sales.  Now look at it.  Thanks to Wii games, it is back again and it looks like there may even be a Dance (music) hit or two on 360.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Green Day Rock Band has sold 540k plus this year.

Rock Band 3 has sold 350k. 

Granted Green Day has had since June instead of 3 weeks, but most sales are in the first month anyway for lots of games.  My point is that Rock Band 3 ain't selling jack.

And RB: Green Day is still my favorite.  :)  But it reiterates that custom track packs for an existing platform of RB is what people would rather have.  I'll buy RB3 when it gets down to $30 or so, which may be in a week or two at this rate.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

And who knew GH : Warriors of Rock could possibly outsell RB3?  When we saw the lackluster GH sales, we thought everyone was waiting for Rock Band.

Oops.

guess not.  

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

That is the power of Activision.

They sucked all the money they could out of the music genre and eventually it will be left to die.

I am hoping Call of Duty sees a similar fate.

richardhutnik said:
Beuli2 said:

I blame the casuals.

People with lives other than games don't feel the need to keep buying the same type of games over and over.  One has to wonder if the FPS genre is going to hit the wall like this at some point.

At least they're A BIT different from each other