By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - U.S. music games sales .... it's in free fall dudes.

Games4Fun said:
trestres said:

Why "blame" Activision. It's a business model.
Get all the money you can while people are interested in your product: so it's a good move by them.
Who can assure me that if they hadn't released those many games people would have been far more interested today in buying a music game than what they are now? After all they generated a lot of revenue for the industry, where not only they were benefitted, but retailers and HW manufacturers too.

Putting to many out in the same year is not good buisness. Any franchise would be doomed if they did this. I would even say Mario would be doomed if they put out that many platformer Marios in the same year

And that's the strategy, getting as many sales as possible before people find out another genre/game/gimmick and the cycle repeats itself. It kinds of remind me of the earlier Tony Hawks games, which sold extremely well at the beginning but then people just lost interest as time passed by.

IMO it's a good business model, because you have teams dedicated to making these games and they are all experienced and can probably make a lot in a small amount of time. Right now there are other things like Move/Kinect/CoD/Dance games that people are attracted to. They market isn't infinite, people will buy other things.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Another major screwup by Rock Band. I just got an email today that the midi adapters would be delayed at least another month. You can blame Activision all you want, but EA/MTV/Rock Band has made big screwups. Yeah I know Mad Catz is making these but there is simply no excuse for being so late on hardware. Same thing goes with the Squier guitar. These things should be out with the release of the game in plenty  of time for the holidays.

They just lost a customer.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Grimes said:

Another major screwup by Rock Band. I just got an email today that the midi adapters would be delayed at least another month. You can blame Activision all you want, but EA/MTV/Rock Band has made big screwups. Yeah I know Mad Catz is making these but there is simply no excuse for being so late on hardware. Same thing goes with the Squier guitar. These things should be out with the release of the game in plenty  of time for the holidays.

Why does everybody act like Madcatz making the controllers is a good thing? Everything Madcatz I have owned (other than a DDR-style dance pad), has been cheaply made and fell apart quickly...

No wonder, the sheer amount of music games being pumped out with little to no improvement and innovation between installments has effectively punctured the market. I wonder why the same doesn't happen to games like Fifa or Madden? Are these markest not possible to saturate or are the fans that bonkers about fresh rosters?

L.C.E.C. said:
Grimes said:

Why does everybody act like Madcatz making the controllers is a good thing? Everything Madcatz I have owned (other than a DDR-style dance pad), has been cheaply made and fell apart quickly...

I didn't say Mad Catz was good. AFAIK, they are the ONLY source for the midi controllers.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Mummelmann said:

No wonder, the sheer amount of music games being pumped out with little to no improvement and innovation between installments has effectively punctured the market. I wonder why the same doesn't happen to games like Fifa or Madden? Are these markest not possible to saturate or are the fans that bonkers about fresh rosters?

The rosters are indeed that important to fans of those games. In fact, they are so important that they prefer to play an inferior sports game as long as it has all the original names. The only way sports games can die is if the sports themselves die.

I will never understand that kind of fandom.

Grimes said:
L.C.E.C. said:
Grimes said:

I didn't say Mad Catz was good. AFAIK, they are the ONLY source for the midi controllers.

I was just asking... Everyone seems to be happy that madcatz is making them... Just asking a question...

RolStoppable said:
Mummelmann said:

The rosters are indeed that important to fans of those games. In fact, they are so important that they prefer to play an inferior sports game as long as it has all the original names. The only way sports games can die is if the sports themselves die.

As an owner of the past 3 FIFA's, the main reason everyone buys the new FIFA on launch nowadays, is because everyone buys the new FIFA on launch nowadays. It'd kinda suck if I was stuck with FIFA 10, while all my friends played online with one another on FIFA 11. There are just so many online modes and things to do that not being apart of it with everyone on my friends list, just to save thirty quid, would be silly ^_^.

The games themselves tend to offer alot more then 'roster updates' nowadays too, FIFA 09 plays completely different to FIFA 10 which is completely different to FIFA 11. Lots of new features are added and nowadays they actually seem to be worth a dam.

No idea what it's like for other sports games, but Madden always get good press at release and I've heard NBA2k11 is the best ever...

disolitude said:

Good...looks like all the wanna be rockstars got bored and are leaving music playing to regular musicians.

Or they just bought real guitars...

No surprise here.

We saw this happen with Tony Hawk, and now it's happening with music games. The real question now is... what's next? Music games will still have a following, but for the most part a lot of people have had their fill, and are ready to move on to something else.

Personally, I expect the dancing game genre to take off even more than it already has, it just has to sway those who think about dancing and go "I can't dance for shit".

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d