By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Dance Central no pissible on wii or move!

shuraiya said:

Sometime around E3, I seem to recall Harmonix saying they were looking into bringing Dance central to move because it was possible.

Well unless they created some ground breaking software that gives a simple webcam the same capabilities as the Kinect, I doubt it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Dance Central no pissible on PS3 or Wii?! Why can't you piss on Dance Central if you have a Wii or PS3?!?!?!?!?!!!!!1

And like Carl said they "think" like that....it may be possible yet

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Mr Puggsly said:
shuraiya said:

Sometime around E3, I seem to recall Harmonix saying they were looking into bringing Dance central to move because it was possible.

Well unless they created some ground breaking software that gives a simple webcam the same capabilities as the Kinect, I doubt it.

My friend (at my work) wrote software that does exactly what Kinect does using a webcam, Multiple Human body tracking. It really isn't all that ground breaking for what they are using it for. Simple Dancing. Now, I'm not saying my friends webcam is as good as kinect or has all the same features, but it would be good enough for dance central.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

nordlead said:
Mr Puggsly said:
shuraiya said:

My friend (at my work) wrote software that does exactly what Kinect does using a webcam, Multiple Human body tracking. It really isn't all that ground breaking for what they are using it for. Simple Dancing. Now, I'm not saying my friends webcam is as good as kinect or has all the same features, but it would be good enough for dance central.

Pardon my reluctance to believe that your friend's program, "does exactly what Kinect does using a webcam."

We really don't know how Dance Central takes advantage of the Kinect or if your friend's program would offer the same experience.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

nordlead said:
Mr Puggsly said:
shuraiya said:

It's all about the software, dude. Technically it may be even possible on the old Eyetoy.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network

Maybe because it doesn't use controllers, obligatory on the Wii and Move?

Above: still the best game of the year.

Carl2291 said:

http://kotaku.com/5569957/harmonix-dance-central-could-come-to-ps3-but-not-wii

They say they think it's possible, not that it is.

This doesn't surprise me though. But seriously... Who cares? It's a dance game...

this says it all....

toastboy44562 said:

Edit: I meant possible in the title

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41586/Dance-Central-not-possible-on-MoveWii

With its ability to track the movement of 20 limbs, Kinect is well-suited to Dance Central and its hundreds of dance moves.

In an interview with MCV, Harmonix says embracing Microsoft’s motion accessory rather than PlayStation Move or Wii was an easy choice.

“Kinect was a no-brainer because you don’t have to hold anything close to your body,” the game's project director Kasson Crooker stated.

“If Kinect didn’t work, we would never have made this game. The other motion controllers out there are really cool but they yield different experiences. For us, we’re just totally focused on Kinect.”

Microsoft also provided assistance with development.
Lead designer Dean Tate adds: “Microsoft tested the game with tons of people, and that was absolutely crucial to the development process.”

Go 360! Kinect comes tomorrow, the 360 will get a giant boost

Sorry, just realised and please take this as friedly teasing, but not only did you use pissable in the title but you refer to 20 LIMBS in the body of the text!

Where you perhaps somewhat pissable when you wrote this?  If not, how many limbs do you have?

I have to say though, the idea of 20 limb aliens frenetically playing something like Dance Central is rather amusing.

Don't worry, I know what you mean though.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

So Kinect is the best for Petting games and Dance games, it has a bright future indeed!

More to the point; I am very skeptical of Kinect's integration into many genres and games, it just seems to new and limited right now to play a significant role in racing games, RPG's shooters, platformers etc. Outside of dancing and other novelty games, what will it be used for and why would someone like me buy it to begin with?

Mind you, I'm not getting Move either, it certainly seems more versatile in a few genres, such as those mentioned above but I'm just a not a fan of motion controls as a whole, it adds nothing to the game for me save for the need for more room and the ability to sweat while you play...

Edit; like Reasonable says; I don't think 20 limbs on one person is pissable!

Mr Puggsly said:
nordlead said:
Mr Puggsly said:
shuraiya said:

Pardon my reluctance to believe that your friend's program, "does exactly what Kinect does using a webcam."

We really don't know how Dance Central takes advantage of the Kinect or if your friend's program would offer the same experience.

C'mon, Dance Central involves you copying a motion (stroke of genius that which I'll come back to BTW) displayed to you on a screen.

Kinect is of course a great sensor for that, and does offer some advantages in terms of posture, but in the end all you need is good enough software to decode an image to achieve the same thing.  It's not that difficult with today's image recognition libraries and capabilites - I think Kinect just makes it easier for the developer even with that said hence it's attraction for this title.

How do you think existing webcams know I'm holding my hand out in a certain position to indicate activate / de-activate something?  I've played with plenty of webcam based routines that do the same thing in principle - work out whether you are in a certain position or not.

So it's definately doeable.  Will a webcam be as accurate as Kinect?  Not sure, probably not quite unless the lighting was good and the resolution suitably good to allow for clear rendering of the body position image, but for the average joe swaying in their living room I can guarantee it can easily be accurate enough to deliver what is perceived by the player as the same experience (with the possible exception Kinect may be better in lower light due to the IR and skeletal tracking).

However - I do want to note the genius of the approach here.  The issue with all motion control titles isn't the tech working when you do the right thing, but the glitches (shown to exist on Wii, Move and Kinect already) that occur when you don't.

For example as noted on another thread Kinect misreading your move and delivering the wrong punch or jump... or Move deciding you swung down when you didn't quite, Wii picking up a change of position as a swing of your bat... and so on.

But with Dance Central, you follow the game, not the other way around.  If you don't do it right, then it's easy, no input issues the game just tells you that you didn't do it right.

Clearly this won't work for all titles, but I do think the approach is a small stroke of genius for this kind of title.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...