By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Dance Central no pissible on wii or move!

Thanks god that is not possible!

Around the Network

This thread just reminded me I have to go take a piss

How's dance central different from those Wii dancing games?

It might also not be possible on Wii because it would take sales away from "Let's Dance" series which is made by ... Ubisoft. (In other words, it has its own franchise on that platform already.)

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

nordlead said:
Mr Puggsly said:
shuraiya said:

Sometime around E3, I seem to recall Harmonix saying they were looking into bringing Dance central to move because it was possible.

Well unless they created some ground breaking software that gives a simple webcam the same capabilities as the Kinect, I doubt it.

My friend (at my work) wrote software that does exactly what Kinect does using a webcam, Multiple Human body tracking. It really isn't all that ground breaking for what they are using it for. Simple Dancing. Now, I'm not saying my friends webcam is as good as kinect or has all the same features, but it would be good enough for dance central.

Microsoft could have saved millions of dollars in R&D if they had just hired your friend from work! Doh!

:P

Around the Network
Mr.Metralha said:

How's dance central different from those Wii dancing games?

It's different because it's actually tracking what you're doing with your entire body, head to foot, in 3D.  Wii dancing games only track the angle of the controller you're holding, you can "dance" without moving your body at all.

mike_intellivision said:

It might also not be possible on Wii because it would take sales away from "Let's Dance" series which is made by ... Ubisoft. (In other words, it has its own franchise on that platform already.)

Mike from Morgantown

That makes no sense.  There is no Call of Duty on the Xbox because it already has the Halo series?

There are no driving games on the PS3 because it already has Gran Turismo?

Reasonable said:

*lots of other text*

How do you think existing webcams know I'm holding my hand out in a certain position to indicate activate / de-activate something?  I've played with plenty of webcam based routines that do the same thing in principle - work out whether you are in a certain position or not.

So it's definately doeable.  Will a webcam be as accurate as Kinect?  Not sure, probably not quite unless the lighting was good and the resolution suitably good to allow for clear rendering of the body position image, but for the average joe swaying in their living room I can guarantee it can easily be accurate enough to deliver what is perceived by the player as the same experience (with the possible exception Kinect may be better in lower light due to the IR and skeletal tracking).

*lots of other text*

at least one person understands what I was getting at without having to write a small essay

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

daroamer said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

That makes no sense.  There is no Call of Duty on the Xbox because it already has the Halo series?

There are no driving games on the PS3 because it already has Gran Turismo?

My bad!  I thought both games were by Ubisoft.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Reasonable said:
Mr Puggsly said:
nordlead said:
Mr Puggsly said:
shuraiya said:

Sometime around E3, I seem to recall Harmonix saying they were looking into bringing Dance central to move because it was possible.

Well unless they created some ground breaking software that gives a simple webcam the same capabilities as the Kinect, I doubt it.

My friend (at my work) wrote software that does exactly what Kinect does using a webcam, Multiple Human body tracking. It really isn't all that ground breaking for what they are using it for. Simple Dancing. Now, I'm not saying my friends webcam is as good as kinect or has all the same features, but it would be good enough for dance central.

Pardon my reluctance to believe that your friend's program, "does exactly what Kinect does using a webcam."

We really don't know how Dance Central takes advantage of the Kinect or if your friend's program would offer the same experience.

How do you think existing webcams know I'm holding my hand out in a certain position to indicate activate / de-activate something?  I've played with plenty of webcam based routines that do the same thing in principle - work out whether you are in a certain position or not.

So it's definately doeable.  Will a webcam be as accurate as Kinect?  Not sure, probably not quite unless the lighting was good and the resolution suitably good to allow for clear rendering of the body position image, but for the average joe swaying in their living room I can guarantee it can easily be accurate enough to deliver what is perceived by the player as the same experience (with the possible exception Kinect may be better in lower light due to the IR and skeletal tracking).

Harmonix made games for EyeToy, they know the tech.  They say couldn't do it until Kinect came along. 

Are you saying they don't know what they're talking about?

The ONLY people I ever see claim all this stuff is possible are forum dwellers, I never see developers go "Oh Kinect?  We can do all the same stuff on the EyeToy."