By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - STAR WARS TOURNAMENT - Episode 1 : The Phantom Menace (Rate it)

2/10. While it was a piece of shit, it was not quite as bad as Attack of the Clones. That's something, I guess.

Around the Network

5/10

Pros:

• "Duel of the Fates" by John Williams
  • Fantastic choreography, music, and action in the final Jedi battle almost makes up for the whole movie. Almost.
  • Darth Maul is plain cool. I got shivers when he revealed it was a double-sided lightsaber.

Cons:

• Jar Jar Binks
  • Anakin Skywalker
  • Eye-roll worthy Space battle (11 year old kid takes down the whole Droid Command Ship... What?)
  • Yoda's bulging eyes...
  • Trying to connect the two trilogies in ridiculous ways. Anakin built C-3PO? Really?
  • Reducing the Force from some mystical cosmic power to an RPG stat in midichloirans.
  • Jar Jar Binks
  • Anakin Skywalker

5/10

This is my least favourite Star Wars movie. But I love Star Wars.

The bad:

Qui-Gon Jinn was a dull and lifeless character, which is quite an achievement, considering that he was played by Liam Neeson, who is brilliant.

Watto is hideous and annoying.

Darth Maul was just plain ridiculous, not dark or scary in the slightest; so "evil" as to be comical.

Jar Jar Fucking Binks, perhaps the worst character in the entire franchise.

HOWEVER

The good:

Anakin is significantly less annoying here than in Episodes 2 and 3.

C3PO and R2D2 are both good.

Pod race!

It's still Star Wars.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

LoL, so many bad ratings, I saw this coming when I saw the thread title to be honest. Anyway...

9/10

I liked it quite a lot and watched it many times. It was not my first Star Wars movie, I was already a huge fan of the old trilogy and normally I like the idea of showing how everything began. The only bad thing about it was... Jar Jar Binks (expected, isn't it^^). The Jedi battles were cool, the space battles were really good, pod racing was great, etc.

I'm done.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

6/10

Certainly the weakest out of the main six, however it is still entertaining especially the battle between the Droids and Gungans. The scenes featuring Naboo are simply mesmerizing. 

Around the Network

4/10

Cons:

- Jar Jar Binks and his whole race (but mostly Jar Jar Binks)
- Overuse of CGI effects (those bigger and bigger fishes eating each other comes to mind)
- Battle droids providing no resistance whatsoever
- Jar Jar Binks
- Qui Gon Jin
- C3PO being made by Anakin
- Trying to explain the Force (you're ruining the magic stupid)
- Jar Jar Binks

Pros:

- Padme (Nathalie Portman is beautiful and they didn't give her cringe worthy lines like in Ep. II and III)
- Senator Palpatine (One of the most interesting part of the prequel trilogy is seeing how he made his way to from just another Senator to being the Chancellor and finally the Emperor)
- Pod race is entertaining (a bit long though)
- The fight between Darth Maul, Obi Wan Kenobi and Qui Gon Jin is cool (Duel of the Fates kicks ass)

Signature goes here!

4 out of 10 and that IMHO is being generous.

The bad:

terrible narrative arc (who's the story about?  why is it about them?  what's going on? etc. etc. etc. etc. and so on) and what exactly am I supposed to understand about Anakin from this story?

very weak characters

actors lost in a sea of green screen - you can tell Ewan and Liam are trying (as is Natalie) but by heck they're just lost

copy cat ending from Return of the Jedi with a bit of A New Hope and Empire mixed in

opaque motivation and plotting all round - why is Liam's Jedi (with the forgetable name) a bit of a rebel?  He never really seems to be.  Why is Anakin bad news?  He seems to be a sweet kid who does the right thing.  Why are they blockading Naboo?  Why would you send Jedi to talk to the captains of blockade ships?  Wouldn't everyone senior be somewhere else rather than on blockade duty?  And why the hell is the Jedi council so rubbish and stupid?  And why did Lucas agree to miscast a certain Mr Jackson just because he asked to be miscast?  I could go on and on but the story just makes zero sense compared to the crystal clear and mostly excellent plotting of the OT.

`The OT connection - or lack thereof:

Why does Naboo suddenly have a huge power generator so we can replay the best duel (actually, still the best duel) from Empire in a similar setting?

Why do none of the ships, general designs and basically anything in the film seem connected to the design asthetic of the original films?  And don't give me Luscas's spiel because I don't buy it in this setting.

Why introduce Midi-whatever if you clearly have no idea why you did it and are happy to dump the idea in a second?  And Virgin births?

How come way back in the past Tatooine actually had a pretty big population and lots of stuff going on vs the sparse settlements of A New Hope (oh wait, you've added that in now, but does it work?  Or does it actually imbalance things?)

Why doesn't this film actually introduce us to this world, the Jedi, the Sith, etc. as if for the first time?  Why is it clunky and strangely assumptive we've already seen this stuff or played games that explained some of what's going on?

How can the Jedi be so central to the Universe (and ultimately villaniuzed by the Empire) yet a character of Han Solo's age in A New Hope who would clearly have been around both during the rise of the Empire and living under it has barely heard of them? 

Just why actually?

The Good:

Senetor Palpatine - now he knows what he's up to and why.   And he actor portraying him doesn't let anything else going on around him faze him from his delivery and performance.

The Pod Race technically - even if the actual motivation and character investment is weak

The lightsaber duel - although the setting is completely wrong given everything we've seen beforehand and Lucas doesn't always compose well around the admitedly interesting choreography

The trailer - rather ironically, Episode 1 undoubtably had one of the best trailers ever released.

Summary - a bad, bad Star Wars film.  As a film I'd give it 3/10 but it gets an extra point for technical prowess.

Boy, were so many of us old fans from the OT suckered by that trailer and the promise of the magic repeating itself.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:

The trailer - rather ironically, Episode 1 undoubtably had one of the best trailers ever released

I remember downloading that trailer (around 20Mb) on a 54K connection, waiting a couple hours for it, watching it over and over and thinking Episode I was going to be the best thing ever but in the end the trailer was better than the movie.

Signature goes here!

7/10

I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as Epidsode 2 or 3.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

6/10 - an "above average" on my scale

It just wasn't memorable. The characters weren't all that, and some (like jar-jar) are just a pain to watch. I know he was supposed to be a comic relief of some sorts, but he just wasn't handled well and sometimes came off as annoying. C3PO was much better comic relief. 

Pros: 

The pod racing. It was probably the most memorable part of the movie. Maybe because it was such an awesome arcade game. 

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."