By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - STAR WARS TOURNAMENT - Episode 1 : The Phantom Menace (Rate it)

twesterm said:
darthdevidem01 said:
twesterm said:

1/10

Such an awful movie.  It's just a giant mess with character you don't care about for a variety of reasons, a plot that doesn't make any sense, and just too much going on.

Also, excessive use of the word whoopee.

I am wondering why you never cared about any characters?

Did you not feel sad when Qui gon died?

God no, Qui Gon was possibly one of the worst Jedi's in existance.  He was either doing incredibly stupid things like blindly walking into traps, setting up horribly convulated deals and taking advantage of people using his Jedi powers, or just plain being, well, stupid.

And just because it only speaks the truth:

I'm so glad somebody else has actually watched this guys phantom menace review, its genius and he makes so many valid points as to why the film sucks.

1 out of 10. It is genuinly that bad.

Around the Network

6/10 ~ It's not the worst movie ever made, but compaired to the height of the Star Wars franchise it's just average. The overall plot isn't awful, it's just not executed very well at times, specifically in the acting department which is very bad overall. And let's just not talk about Jar Jar...

TruckOSaurus said:
Reasonable said:

The trailer - rather ironically, Episode 1 undoubtably had one of the best trailers ever released

I remember downloading that trailer (around 20Mb) on a 54K connection, waiting a couple hours for it, watching it over and over and thinking Episode I was going to be the best thing ever but in the end the trailer was better than the movie.

lol.. me too.. I remember it was an Apple exclusive trailer... it was freking amazing.. Every generation has a legend. Every journey has a first step. Every saga has a beginning.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Reasonable said:

The trailer - rather ironically, Episode 1 undoubtably had one of the best trailers ever released

I remember downloading that trailer (around 20Mb) on a 54K connection, waiting a couple hours for it, watching it over and over and thinking Episode I was going to be the best thing ever but in the end the trailer was better than the movie.

lol.. me too.. I remember it was an Apple exclusive trailer... it was freking amazing.. Every generation has a legend. Every journey has a first step. Every saga has a beginning.

The trailer still makes me believe there's actually a good version of the film out there (sadly there isn't).

Off topic - slightly - there's an amazing bit in the extras where you're allowed to see Lucas and crews reaction after watching the first full cut.  Needless to say they are all worried and know they've screwed the pooch (this being in the days before you'd Nuke the Firdge) and I'm amazed Lucas let it remain in the extras.

Given how bad the final released cut was, I'd very much love to see just how bad that cut must have been (well, love is probably the wrong word, but you know what I mean).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

TruckOSaurus said:

- C3PO being made by Anakin

Why? 0.o 

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Around the Network

1 star out of 5

overall boring and devoid of substance.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Oh, and as for Villians... the trade federation was NEVER menacing.

The droids were just.... too comical... and somehow were worse shots then stormtroopers even though theoretically they should have targeting sensors.

Reasonable said:
NiKKoM said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Reasonable said:

The trailer still makes me believe there's actually a good version of the film out there (sadly there isn't).

Off topic - slightly - there's an amazing bit in the extras where you're allowed to see Lucas and crews reaction after watching the first full cut.  Needless to say they are all worried and know they've screwed the pooch (this being in the days before you'd Nuke the Firdge) and I'm amazed Lucas let it remain in the extras.

Given how bad the final released cut was, I'd very much love to see just how bad that cut must have been (well, love is probably the wrong word, but you know what I mean).

Man I love those extras, all those people just looking on in terror because the film is utter shit, they're too far in to fix anything, and nobody is willing to stand up to George Lucas.

Did you see the other two excellent parts?

• The part where Lucas says Jar-Jar is the key to the whole film and how they've never had a character as funny as him.
  • The part where they're casting Anakin and it comes down to one amazing kid and one awful kid who couldn't even speak his lines.  Guess which one Lucas picked.

Kasz216 said:

Oh, and as for Villians... the trade federation was NEVER menacing.

The droids were just.... too comical.

It's amazing how worthless the B-1's are and how much they relied on them.  It's amazing that they know Jedi slice through B-1's like butter yet they keep relying on them for the most important of missions, including guarding the princess.

Oh!  That's another fun thing from the above extras mentioned.  Lucas actually meant for the B-1's to be completely worthless!

The story was a weak rehash of Ep 4.

Instead of destroying something as epic as a Death Star, the hero destroys a ship that's part of the Trade federation.  A merchant vessel with a few guns is nothing compared to a ship that can destroy entire planets.

Instead of focusing on the would be main hero, it has a focus on a character that's always been of secondary in importance.  In the end the main hero still wins the day and saves everybody, but other than that the only thing he gets to do is join a race.

The acting isn't very good, even with some top notch actors, which means the direction was terrible.

Jarjar is at best annoying as all hell, at worst he's incredibly offensive.  Way to go, Lucas, you're either an idiot and a terrible writer (and director), or you're all of those things AND racist.

You do not have the right to never be offended.