By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 to outship the X360 by the end of the 4th quarter? Oh yeh

Oblivion86 said:
Machiavellian said:

Retail agreements can be very complex.  I am sure there are retailers like Gamestop that might not actually PAY Sony or MS for the shipments but do every quater depending on how many units are sold.  So Sony can continue to send shipments but if the retailer actually did not purchase those shipments and can send supply back if they have to much.  Shipped numbers is way to much of a moving target to really depend on as relaible information.  Only sold to consumers is worth anything or just look at the how much those divisions make when those quaterly statements come out.

Absolutely 100% correct, thank you.

And the sooner people realise this.....

....the sooner people realize, PS3 is a long time away from outselling the 360, if they do at all.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

lol    Vgchartz numbers make people believe that Sony can overship every quarter

Michael-5 said:
DonFerrari said:
Oblivion86 said:
DonFerrari said:
Oblivion86 said:
haxxiy said:
Pirateogta said:
Gilgamesh said:

I believe it's going to happen now that we really seen the numbers and what Move has done, the PS3 is selling number one and is looking to be the number one console for the Holidays. If GT5 releases this year which it should sales are really going to explode.

Sure the PS3 will probably not pass the X360 in actual sold numbers but shipped? I think so.

I doubt the PS3 will outsell the 360 for a single week for a long, LONG time after Kinect launches, but who knows about the ridiculous shipped numbers. They pretty much mean nothing. Every tracker (VGChartz, NPD, Media Create) showed that the PS3 sold far less in the Apr-June 2010 quarter than the previous quarter, but according to Sony it shipped more units. And anyone with any sense knows that there is no way the PS3 shipped 700,000 units more than the 360 this quarter with the release of the Slim, Halo: Reach, etc. It's almost laughable.

Nice way to begin posting, dude. You won't last far that way .

Go check ioi's explanation for the adjusments and learn a bit about how the market works before insulting everyone by posting such BS.

No actually bud he is right, taking into account the dramatic increase when the slim and Reach came out, PS3 wasn't ahead of the 360 again till late Nov.. As for the shipped number, those ABSOLUTELY DO NOT MATTER, all that matters is the sold-through number.

Sony could ship 10 million consoles tomorrow, but if they can't sell that number in the market frame then those units are shipped back. The number of PS3s on shelves compared to the sell-through by MS is not even close. When the actually sell-through number come in from Sony whenever they choose to release them, they will be way behind, just like the Move.

And Sony is so dumb that they keep over shipping their products year after year from 2007 to 2011.

Retailers are even more dumb as they keep it even if just to please sony, maybe ther is 10M PS3 sitting in hidden shelfs?

MS is ultra smart and always undership and this is the strategy to sell more...

You my friend is a genius.

Shipped number do not matter, I'm sorry you have yet to understand this.. MS doesn't undership, but they know the market-share and what their expected sales numbers are, Sony ALWAYS overships and then tells everyone how amazing their numbers are, please if you don't know what you are talking about don't respond, thanks.

Sony always overship and what happens to the consoles?? they get burned???

Shipped consoles also matters as they eventually get sold... and why everybody here make sure to say MS numbers are right and sony is wrong because one is closer to VG??? During the last 4 years sony always overshiped and MS always met demand, but even so retailers ask for more... they must be real dumb, maybe they should hire people here to run their bussiness better.

They get shipped back.

Dont forget, Kinect sold a lot better then anyone anticipated. It's outselling the Wii and Move, at launch, combined. MS just didn't ship enough consoles in time, and since the Slim is still relatively new, they probably could only ship so many.

PS3 Slim has been around for over a year, they had time to stock up retailers. Doesn't mean these systems will get sold anytime soon.

I agree with you that they can be shipped back... but to use the "overshipped excuse" for 3 years as some people here do is naive... they can't overship forever

About price cuts... sony can cut less because of production cost, MS can cut less because of entry price... no one can say who will cut more with certainty, and less say one will sell much more from it... and as you can't find a ps3 cheaper than a xbox360 a cut would virtually help PS3 more, but no certaint to it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Oblivion86 said:
DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

Retail agreements can be very complex.  I am sure there are retailers like Gamestop that might not actually PAY Sony or MS for the shipments but do every quater depending on how many units are sold.  So Sony can continue to send shipments but if the retailer actually did not purchase those shipments and can send supply back if they have to much.  Shipped numbers is way to much of a moving target to really depend on as relaible information.  Only sold to consumers is worth anything or just look at the how much those divisions make when those quaterly statements come out.

Do you know sony and ms shipped numbers are 100% precise and VG and NPD are estimative don't you??

And of course sony keep sending the hardware without they ever being sold just for braging rights.... i remember this time last year people yelled overshiped for sony consoles and 2 weeks later or less there were shortages news...

It's the miraculous overship shortage that only sony can do, as 2M consoles must be lost in a island or bermuda's triangle...

Get real. Sold through is mch more moving target that get adjusted weekly than shipment numbers... you don't know logic.

You are completely hopeless, when a seller overships and they are not sold within the market-share timeframe those units are not paid for shipped back to the company. Why can you not understand this?

And you believe that they do it every quarter for the last 3 years??? because each one PS3 sold more.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

So have we all come to a conclusion? lol 

I must say this happening would be quite amusing. 

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
drkohler said:
Michael-5 said:

Wait what region are you from? I believe in some European Regions, the PS3 Move bundle is sold at $350 US dollars.

No. During the holidays, the Arcade Kinect bundle was around $250-$300, the 250G Kinect bundle was around $350-$400. The plain 160G PS3 (if available at all) sold for around $350, the 320G bundles (Asscreed/GT5) sold for around $450. Move stuff sold without rebates (but was barely in stock over holidays). MS was basically giving away free Kinects with their bundles, if you compare the prices. Very likely, there was some deal going on between MS and the Media Group, as MS owned the MG shops with advertisements/Kinect kiosks and total shelf space (for all console hardware) was basically 50% Kinect products. Very weird to see how strong MG/MS was pushing Kinect over the holidays.

So how is the PS3 Move bundle offered at a ruduced price over the 360 Kinect bundles? Thats what confuses me.

You said "PS3 Move bundle would be a better option for casual and hardcore with its reduced price." you also said "No Kinect bundles other then the 4GB exist so far."

What the hell are you talking about? None of your drivel has anything to do with what I wrote...

Oblivion86 said:

You are completely hopeless, when a seller overships and they are not sold within the market-share timeframe those units are not paid for shipped back to the company. Why can you not understand this?

I can assure you this is definitely not how the real world works. Do your really think a retailer can order whatever he likes and then simply ship back what s/he can't sell. What a delusional concept. Just promise us you never go into the retail business, you would not survive a year with such a weird (non-)understanding of how the business works.

drkohler said:
Oblivion86 said:

I can assure you this is definitely not how the real world works. Do your really think a retailer can order whatever he likes and then simply ship back what s/he can't sell. What a delusional concept. Just promise us you never go into the retail business, you would not survive a year with such a weird (non-)understanding of how the business works.

There can be agreements to accept itens and just paying for the ones you sell... but even so sony wouldn't happly ship consoles no one wants forever... and they forgot that even if they say sony overships VG still put PS3 numbers rising every quarter, and gaps shrinking...

but don't care if people are delusional

DonFerrari said:
Michael-5 said:
DonFerrari said:

Sony always overship and what happens to the consoles?? they get burned???

Shipped consoles also matters as they eventually get sold... and why everybody here make sure to say MS numbers are right and sony is wrong because one is closer to VG??? During the last 4 years sony always overshiped and MS always met demand, but even so retailers ask for more... they must be real dumb, maybe they should hire people here to run their bussiness better.

They get shipped back.

Dont forget, Kinect sold a lot better then anyone anticipated. It's outselling the Wii and Move, at launch, combined. MS just didn't ship enough consoles in time, and since the Slim is still relatively new, they probably could only ship so many.

PS3 Slim has been around for over a year, they had time to stock up retailers. Doesn't mean these systems will get sold anytime soon.

I agree with you that they can be shipped back... but to use the "overshipped excuse" for 3 years as some people here do is naive... they can't overship forever

About price cuts... sony can cut less because of production cost, MS can cut less because of entry price... no one can say who will cut more with certainty, and less say one will sell much more from it... and as you can't find a ps3 cheaper than a xbox360 a cut would virtually help PS3 more, but no certaint to it.

I never said PS3 was overshipped, I'm not part of that band wagon. I'm only claiming that 360's are undershipped at this moment, and that shipped units are not a proper indicator of console sales.

I just don't agree with the notion that an HD console price cut will aid PS3 more. I understand the logic of a $250 PS3 (Realistically, the potential price cut will only be $50), but a $250 Elite 360 should be just as impactful. Arcade 360's never comprimised a large portion of 360 sales. Also a $150 Arcade 360 is pretty appealing as a secondary console for Wii/PS3 owners alike. Who is to say a $150 Arcade 360 won't offset any price cut bonus PS3 would get?

I think we should agree to disagree on the price cut. We simply have different opinions, and until the consoles get price cuts, these are only opinions.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

drkohler said:
Michael-5 said:
drkohler said:
Michael-5 said:

Wait what region are you from? I believe in some European Regions, the PS3 Move bundle is sold at $350 US dollars.

No. During the holidays, the Arcade Kinect bundle was around $250-$300, the 250G Kinect bundle was around $350-$400. The plain 160G PS3 (if available at all) sold for around $350, the 320G bundles (Asscreed/GT5) sold for around $450. Move stuff sold without rebates (but was barely in stock over holidays). MS was basically giving away free Kinects with their bundles, if you compare the prices. Very likely, there was some deal going on between MS and the Media Group, as MS owned the MG shops with advertisements/Kinect kiosks and total shelf space (for all console hardware) was basically 50% Kinect products. Very weird to see how strong MG/MS was pushing Kinect over the holidays.

So how is the PS3 Move bundle offered at a ruduced price over the 360 Kinect bundles? Thats what confuses me.

You said "PS3 Move bundle would be a better option for casual and hardcore with its reduced price." you also said "No Kinect bundles other then the 4GB exist so far."

What the hell are you talking about? None of your drivel has anything to do with what I wrote...

Whoops, sorry.

You quoted me, when I quoted someone else, and you stated something off topic. GameAnalyzer said that the PS3 Move bundle is offered at a reduced price over the 360 Kinect bundle, and thats what I was adressing.

I know Kinect is cheaper, I wanted to know why he said it wasn't.