By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 to outship the X360 by the end of the 4th quarter? Oh yeh

Oblivion86 said:
haxxiy said:
Pirateogta said:
Gilgamesh said:

I believe it's going to happen now that we really seen the numbers and what Move has done, the PS3 is selling number one and is looking to be the number one console for the Holidays. If GT5 releases this year which it should sales are really going to explode.

Sure the PS3 will probably not pass the X360 in actual sold numbers but shipped? I think so.

I doubt the PS3 will outsell the 360 for a single week for a long, LONG time after Kinect launches, but who knows about the ridiculous shipped numbers. They pretty much mean nothing. Every tracker (VGChartz, NPD, Media Create) showed that the PS3 sold far less in the Apr-June 2010 quarter than the previous quarter, but according to Sony it shipped more units. And anyone with any sense knows that there is no way the PS3 shipped 700,000 units more than the 360 this quarter with the release of the Slim, Halo: Reach, etc. It's almost laughable.

Nice way to begin posting, dude. You won't last far that way .

Go check ioi's explanation for the adjusments and learn a bit about how the market works before insulting everyone by posting such BS.

No actually bud he is right, taking into account the dramatic increase when the slim and Reach came out, PS3 wasn't ahead of the 360 again till late Nov.. As for the shipped number, those ABSOLUTELY DO NOT MATTER, all that matters is the sold-through number.

Sony could ship 10 million consoles tomorrow, but if they can't sell that number in the market frame then those units are shipped back. The number of PS3s on shelves compared to the sell-through by MS is not even close. When the actually sell-through number come in from Sony whenever they choose to release them, they will be way behind, just like the Move.

And Sony is so dumb that they keep over shipping their products year after year from 2007 to 2011.

Retailers are even more dumb as they keep it even if just to please sony, maybe ther is 10M PS3 sitting in hidden shelfs?

MS is ultra smart and always undership and this is the strategy to sell more...

You my friend is a genius.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Oblivion86 said:
haxxiy said:
Pirateogta said:
Gilgamesh said:

I believe it's going to happen now that we really seen the numbers and what Move has done, the PS3 is selling number one and is looking to be the number one console for the Holidays. If GT5 releases this year which it should sales are really going to explode.

Sure the PS3 will probably not pass the X360 in actual sold numbers but shipped? I think so.

I doubt the PS3 will outsell the 360 for a single week for a long, LONG time after Kinect launches, but who knows about the ridiculous shipped numbers. They pretty much mean nothing. Every tracker (VGChartz, NPD, Media Create) showed that the PS3 sold far less in the Apr-June 2010 quarter than the previous quarter, but according to Sony it shipped more units. And anyone with any sense knows that there is no way the PS3 shipped 700,000 units more than the 360 this quarter with the release of the Slim, Halo: Reach, etc. It's almost laughable.

Go check ioi's explanation for the adjusments and learn a bit about how the market works before insulting everyone by posting such BS.

No actually bud he is right, taking into account the dramatic increase when the slim and Reach came out, PS3 wasn't ahead of the 360 again till late Nov.. As for the shipped number, those ABSOLUTELY DO NOT MATTER, all that matters is the sold-through number.

Sony could ship 10 million consoles tomorrow, but if they can't sell that number in the market frame then those units are shipped back. The number of PS3s on shelves compared to the sell-through by MS is not even close. When the actually sell-through number come in from Sony whenever they choose to release them, they will be way behind, just like the Move.

And Sony is so dumb that they keep over shipping their products year after year from 2007 to 2011.

Retailers are even more dumb as they keep it even if just to please sony, maybe ther is 10M PS3 sitting in hidden shelfs?

Shipped number do not matter, I'm sorry you have yet to understand this.. MS doesn't undership, but they know the market-share and what their expected sales numbers are, Sony ALWAYS overships and then tells everyone how amazing their numbers are, please if you don't know what you are talking about don't respond, thanks.

Retail agreements can be very complex.  I am sure there are retailers like Gamestop that might not actually PAY Sony or MS for the shipments but do every quater depending on how many units are sold.  So Sony can continue to send shipments but if the retailer actually did not purchase those shipments and can send supply back if they have to much.  Shipped numbers is way to much of a moving target to really depend on as relaible information.  Only sold to consumers is worth anything or just look at the how much those divisions make when those quaterly statements come out.

Machiavellian said:

Retail agreements can be very complex.  I am sure there are retailers like Gamestop that might not actually PAY Sony or MS for the shipments but do every quater depending on how many units are sold.  So Sony can continue to send shipments but if the retailer actually did not purchase those shipments and can send supply back if they have to much.  Shipped numbers is way to much of a moving target to really depend on as relaible information.  Only sold to consumers is worth anything or just look at the how much those divisions make when those quaterly statements come out.

Absolutely 100% correct, thank you.

Oblivion86 said:
DonFerrari said:
Oblivion86 said:
haxxiy said:
Pirateogta said:
Gilgamesh said:

Shipped number do not matter, I'm sorry you have yet to understand this.. MS doesn't undership, but they know the market-share and what their expected sales numbers are, Sony ALWAYS overships and then tells everyone how amazing their numbers are, please if you don't know what you are talking about don't respond, thanks.

Sony always overship and what happens to the consoles?? they get burned???

Shipped consoles also matters as they eventually get sold... and why everybody here make sure to say MS numbers are right and sony is wrong because one is closer to VG??? During the last 4 years sony always overshiped and MS always met demand, but even so retailers ask for more... they must be real dumb, maybe they should hire people here to run their bussiness better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

Do you know sony and ms shipped numbers are 100% precise and VG and NPD are estimative don't you??

And of course sony keep sending the hardware without they ever being sold just for braging rights.... i remember this time last year people yelled overshiped for sony consoles and 2 weeks later or less there were shortages news...

It's the miraculous overship shortage that only sony can do, as 2M consoles must be lost in a island or bermuda's triangle...

Get real. Sold through is mch more moving target that get adjusted weekly than shipment numbers... you don't know logic.

DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

Do you know sony and ms shipped numbers are 100% precise and VG and NPD are estimative don't you??

And of course sony keep sending the hardware without they ever being sold just for braging rights.... i remember this time last year people yelled overshiped for sony consoles and 2 weeks later or less there were shortages news...

It's the miraculous overship shortage that only sony can do, as 2M consoles must be lost in a island or bermuda's triangle...

Get real. Sold through is mch more moving target that get adjusted weekly than shipment numbers... you don't know logic.

You are completely hopeless, when a seller overships and they are not sold within the market-share timeframe those units are not paid for shipped back to the company. Why can you not understand this?

DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

What you should be asking is weather they state shipped or Sold to retailers.  There is a difference.  Anyway, I do not champion Sony or MS and really care not who shipped how much.  It just funny when someone is happy one big coporation shipped more than another coporation.

DonFerrari said:
Michael-5 said:
drkohler said:
Michael-5 said:

Wait what region are you from? I believe in some European Regions, the PS3 Move bundle is sold at $350 US dollars.

No. During the holidays, the Arcade Kinect bundle was around $250-$300, the 250G Kinect bundle was around $350-$400. The plain 160G PS3 (if available at all) sold for around $350, the 320G bundles (Asscreed/GT5) sold for around $450. Move stuff sold without rebates (but was barely in stock over holidays). MS was basically giving away free Kinects with their bundles, if you compare the prices. Very likely, there was some deal going on between MS and the Media Group, as MS owned the MG shops with advertisements/Kinect kiosks and total shelf space (for all console hardware) was basically 50% Kinect products. Very weird to see how strong MG/MS was pushing Kinect over the holidays.

So how is the PS3 Move bundle offered at a ruduced price over the 360 Kinect bundles? Thats what confuses me.

You said "PS3 Move bundle would be a better option for casual and hardcore with its reduced price." you also said "No Kinect bundles other then the 4GB exist so far."

Now you acknowledge the 250GB Kinect bundle, but I still don't understand this point of reduced price.

If PS3 dropped its price in 2011, 360 would follow. Assuming a $50 price cut, a $350 250GB Kinect bundle would be the exact same price as a $350 PS3 Move Bundle.

Also a 4GB $250 Arcade Kinect bundle would appeal to gamers, hardcore and casual. 360's are built very differently from PS3's, your never forced to install games, and it doesn't really make a difference on 360's. Load times are generally much quicker on 360's then PS3's. I consider myself a hardcore gamer, and I play fine with my 20GB model, which only has 14GB of usable memory. I do have an 8GB thumb drive attached, but I still have more then enough space for all my games.

So a price cut on PS3 and 360 would not somehow help PS3 sales. If anything it would help 360 sales because PS3 an Wii owners could get a 360, with Kinect for only $250. Casual gamers getting a secondary console after their Wii don't need more then 4GB of memory, and PS3 gamers getting 360 as a secondary console won't fill those 4GB either, as they would probably play multi-console games on their PS3's. Also people who are really cheap will be able to afford a 360 without Kinect at $150, which could be a bigger factor then a $250 HD PS3 alltogether.

You demmand logic but don't use it everytime. As PS3 is more expensive it also have more potencial to price cut, and in the way they are now PS3 isn't selling much less... So i can see a price cut being more favorable to PS3 in this case being that would enter a more affordable range, and would possibly have a cut deeper than Xbox.

Anyway, all 3 are doing great.

EDIT: let's move to hate Apple and istuffs, as Nintendo Rep said that the cheap games are destroying the market...

now for everyone but sony the threat scale is: Cheap Games > Pre-owned Games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hackers (and the best part is a lot of users agree with it)

How is PS3 more expensive? 250GB PS3 cost the same as a 250GB 360, and a 320GB Move bundled PS3 cost the same as a 250GB Kinect bundled 360. So if they both saw price cuts, they would both see equal price cuts, unless MS cut's their price below what Sony is capable of bringing the PS3 to.

You demand logic, but don't use it. How could Sony price cut the PS3 more then MS can price cut the 360 when the PS3 costs more to produce?

If anything, a $150 4GB Arcade 360, and a $250 Kinect 4GB Arcade 360 would appeal as a secondary console to both Wii and PS3 owners and likely impact sales more. However Arcade 360's seem to sell the least inventory.

However in your final statement you say PS3 and 360 are doing on par, and I agree. I think the HD consoles will see comparable sales to one another until at least E3, and Wii should lag behind. However in the Holiday season Wii and 360 (due to Kinect) should see strong sales. Still, it will be another year of turns.

P.S. I already know more local cases of PS3 hack then 360 and Wii, so hacking affects PS3.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

DonFerrari said:
Oblivion86 said:
DonFerrari said:
Oblivion86 said:
haxxiy said:
Pirateogta said:
Gilgamesh said:

Sony always overship and what happens to the consoles?? they get burned???

Shipped consoles also matters as they eventually get sold... and why everybody here make sure to say MS numbers are right and sony is wrong because one is closer to VG??? During the last 4 years sony always overshiped and MS always met demand, but even so retailers ask for more... they must be real dumb, maybe they should hire people here to run their bussiness better.

They get shipped back.

Dont forget, Kinect sold a lot better then anyone anticipated. It's outselling the Wii and Move, at launch, combined. MS just didn't ship enough consoles in time, and since the Slim is still relatively new, they probably could only ship so many.

PS3 Slim has been around for over a year, they had time to stock up retailers. Doesn't mean these systems will get sold anytime soon.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results