By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is SE favoring Microsoft a lot more this gen?

jarrod said:

lol.  So we're back to the 360-crippled-&-delayed-FFXIII conspiracy theories.  Everyone who actually thinks that needs to go and read the GDM post-mortem.  It's illuminating to say the least... FFXIII's problem wasn't an afterthought 360 port, it was in being a HD game and Square's inability to plan for that accordingly...

Oh isn't it so ironic how the only free roam area in the game just happened to fit snuggly on the last disc...

Not only was it the disc limitations but it was also the constant delays and "westernisation" that followed...

If you don't like the game then fine, but for somebody who was waiting since 2006 for that game and I had to watch the game degrade over the years just so Microsoft can harm the PS3 sales don't be surprised if im bitter about it...

http://www.thekoalition.com/why-the-controversy-for-final-fantasy-xiii

^ This explained it all for me, straight after this i flung my 360 out the window.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
jarrod said:

lol.  So we're back to the 360-crippled-&-delayed-FFXIII conspiracy theories.  Everyone who actually thinks that needs to go and read the GDM post-mortem.  It's illuminating to say the least... FFXIII's problem wasn't an afterthought 360 port, it was in being a HD game and Square's inability to plan for that accordingly...

Oh isn't it so ironic how the only free roam area in the game just happened to fit snuggly on the last disc...

Not only was it the disc limitations but it was also the constant delays and "westernisation" that followed...

If you don't like the game then fine, but for somebody who was waiting since 2006 for that game and I had to watch the game degrade over the years just so Microsoft can harm the PS3 sales don't be surprised if im bitter about it...

^ This explained it all for me, straight after this i flung my 360 out the window.

lol.  Skip the fansite bitter tears and read what I told you.  Here, I'll even link to make it easier.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30640/Exclusive_Behind_The_Scenes_of_Square_Enixs_Final_Fantasy_XIII.php

jarrod said:
brendude13 said:
jarrod said:

lol.  Skip the fansite bitter tears and read what I told you.  Here, I'll even link to make it easier.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30640/Exclusive_Behind_The_Scenes_of_Square_Enixs_Final_Fantasy_XIII.php

I have already read it...whats your point?

I will take you saying that the XBOX 360 didn't delay or limit the game in any way as saying that you can port a 40 hour game onto the XBOX 360 with a click of your fingers and you can also stuff 50gb of game content onto one DVD? Am i correct?

Lets admit this...im bitter about FFXIII...you are an XBOX 360 fanboy...we aren't meant to get on...

brendude13 said:

I have already read it...whats your point?

I will take you saying that the XBOX 360 didn't delay or limit the game in any way as saying that you can port a 40 hour game onto the XBOX 360 with a click of your fingers and you can also stuff 50gb of game content onto one DVD? Am i correct?

Lets admit this...im bitter about FFXIII...you are an XBOX 360 fanboy...we aren't meant to get on...

I'm not saying "in any way".  I mean sure, if they didn't have to dedicate any resources to the 360 port, then maybe we'd have gotten the PS3 rev a few months earlier.

FFXIII's core problem though was that game design followed asset creation, and it was a losing formula.  And that has pretty much nothing to do with 360, the project was doomed from an R&D standpoint before 360 even entered the equation.  Too big, too expensive, too complicated... hell, that's actually why the 360 release got greenlit even...

And lol @ 50GB of "game content".  Unless it has a monthly fee, something like that would've bankrupted SE.  Stop drinking the Blu-ray coolaid, even Kojima gave that FUD up...

In the Koalition Article it states that the production of the game was roughly 20% apart. There was no "finish the PS3 version first". The game was created to fit on multiple DVD's hence the reason why the only free roam section of the game fit on the last disc. Im not biased against blu-ray or any crap like that, i just know that the DVD couldn't cater for what Tetsuya Nomura had in mind, or it could have if the game was built around the DVD from the get-go instead of being implemented half way through the development of the game.

And personally i loved the game, i cared more about the westernisation of the game, the delays and Microsoft's terrible business ethics more than anything else.

And there is no need dismiss me as a PS3 fanboy and start trying to defend the XBOX 360 in everyway possible, im here for a conversation not an argument.

When exactly did Kojima say Blu-Ray wasn't useful? Especially considering he filled the damn disc with MGS4.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:

In the Koalition Article it states that the production of the game was roughly 20% apart. There was no "finish the PS3 version first". The game was created to fit on multiple DVD's hence the reason why the only free roam section of the game fit on the last disc. Im not biased against blu-ray or any crap like that, i just know that the DVD couldn't cater for what Tetsuya Nomura had in mind, or it could have if the game was built around the DVD from the get-go instead of being implemented half way through the development of the game.

And personally i loved the game, i cared more about the westernisation of the game, the delays and Microsoft's terrible business ethics more than anything else.

And there is no need dismiss me as a PS3 fanboy and start trying to defend the XBOX 360 in everyway possible, im here for a conversation not an argument.

When exactly did Kojima say Blu-Ray wasn't useful? Especially considering he filled the damn disc with MGS4.

See, the problem is your "(re)built for DVD" premise is based purely on guesswork and conjecture.  If you read the post-mortem (and if you have already, you need to read it again) it's pretty clear the limiting factor wasn't the game format, it was the massive expense (both in resources and time) in asset creation.  It was also the fact that structural game design decisions evidently came so late in the process, which again doesn't really seem to be linked to 360 going by the post-mortem.  And what does Nomura have to do with anything, he barely touched FFXIII and had like literally nothing to do with the actual game itself (he just did character designs)?

I also find it amusing you'd ask not to be dismissed as a PS3 fanboy, when you're the one mudslinging fanboy labels in here.  Practice what you preach.

brendude13 said:

Oh isn't it so ironic

I'll stop ya right there. Yes, yes it is. Or maybe it's just funny.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Wait he thinks FFXIII has 50GB of game content. The Game Content of FFXIII, 6.8GB, would fit on one DVD. The other 31.6GB was CGI. I will never understand SE's fascination with CGI. I mean in the PS1 era when 3D graphics were rudimentary, I could see the logic but given what the consoles are capable of in real time now the amount CGI required should be decreasing.

Darc Requiem said:

Wait he thinks FFXIII has 50GB of game content. The Game Content of FFXIII, 6.8GB, would fit on one DVD. The other 31.6GB was CGI. I will never understand SE's fascination with CGI. I mean in the PS1 era when 3D graphics were rudimentary, I could see the logic but given what the consoles are capable of in real time now the amount CGI required should be decreasing.

Yep the CGI-less content was only 6.8 GB. If they added real time cutscenes to replace the CGI cutscenes, it would have ended up at a bit more than 6.8 GB. So they would have had to use 2 DVDs. But they could have crammed almost the entire game on disc 1 and the end-game on disc 2. FFXIII could have been a heck of a lot less linear if they used real-time cutscenes. Square-Enix needs to get with the program. If you can make an entire game full of cutscenes without CGI (ie. Heavy Rain), then you don't need CGI for a jrpg.

Oh and it doesnt surprise me that Sony paid off third-party Japanese publishers to release games exclusively on the Playstation instead of the Saturn. Sega was hot shit in Japan for awhile when they released the Saturn there. I figured that Sony probably wouldn't have to resort to those tactics since Sega wasn't a big name in Japan (Sega Master System and Mega Drive bombed in Japan). But Sega had their shit together then (in Japan, not so much North America. lol). They were able to hang with a giant like Sony.

loves2splooge said:
Darc Requiem said:

Yep the CGI-less content was only 6.8 GB. If they added real time cutscenes to replace the CGI cutscenes, it would have ended up at a bit more than 6.8 GB. So they would have had to use 2 DVDs. But they could have crammed almost the entire game on disc 1 and the end-game on disc 2. FFXIII could have been a heck of a lot less linear if they used real-time cutscenes. Square-Enix needs to get with the program. If you can make an entire game full of cutscenes without CGI (ie. Heavy Rain), then you don't need CGI for a jrpg.

Are you certain it was the CGI cutscenes, i thought the real time cutscenes contributed heavily to data storage??