By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii be able to outsell the Hd consoles any week this holiday?

Psyberius said:
RolStoppable said:

And with this... the Wii survives another year. That despite all the things it had going against it:

• Less powerful than the competitors' consoles
  • No HD graphics
  • Online infrastructure from the stone age
  • No good third party support
  • Michael Pachter
  • The video game industry
  • Lack of coolness, image (grandmas play that thing)
  • PlayStation Move
  • Xbox Kinect
  • Shia Laboeuf (would rather eat glass than playing the Wii)
Which just goes to show that the only one who can kill the Wii is Nintendo. I hope they are aware of that fact, because... with great power comes great responsibility.

No, what it goes to show you is how much society is governed by lemmingitis.  No matter how much logic it makes sense to buy a superior product, people will follow hype from previous years.  If consumers would actually look into their buying process and really check out features, WII would be gone.  

There is sooo little reason to own a wii over a ps3 or 360.  If your average joe smoe user knew that they could stream all their stolen content thru their HD console, WII wouldn't be able to sell for free.  Graphics, more in depth games, online infrastructure aside, being able to bang content into their tv's without hard to setup video mods to their computers is a HUUUGE thing for people now.  

If Microsoft and Sony spent time educating people in the bene's of accessing massive libraries of video, music, pictures etc, WII would experience a HUGE drop in sales.  That is of course if it's possible to actually educate the average user of WII...from what i've seen they're pretty simple. :(

Haha, someone is pretty angry!

Ah, the old "consumers are teh stupid and dat is y they buy a Wii!!!1" excuse. Lol haven't heard that one in a whlie. Nice job! :)

I guess the PS2 sold 150 million because people are stupid as well? Or does that not count in your theory?

Around the Network
Psyberius said:

You missed most of what I said.  Maintaining a library of avi/mp3/gif etc on a computer, accessed very easily via a device that is generally already connected to your network and definitely  connected to your tv is a HUGE feature that is for the most part unknown to the consumer.

As for buying a WII because of the software, i watched a video of people lined up to get their red wii's...when asked why they were buying a WII a bunch of them said they were buying them because their friends/family owned them.  They for the most part didn't remark about the software...the average consumer doesn't know that much about the software on a console they're buying.  

Look, I am not discounting that WII's are the right fit for many millions of people, I am saying that WII has become a self sustaining Juggernaut that is racking up significant sales from word of mouth other than a good investigation of features.

Honestly, when a consumer is out buying a video game console, its video games are almost all that matter.

And obviously the people will buy them because of word of mouth; the Wii's hype isn't even comparable to that of Kinect's for now and journalists seem to be bent on destroying it. I can't believe how condescendingly you speak of "the average consumer" though. Why the heck do you think they wanna buy what their friends and family have? They'll only do it because they have an idea of what the content (in this case, it isn't much other than the software) is like. Most likely, they played Wii Sports at a friend's house, enjoyed it and now want to be able to play it at home.

And why you seem to be criticizing the "word of mouth" aspect of Wii's sales is beyond me. Not as if hype or brand loyalty are any better.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Hmm...So Wii outsold them because its Nintendo?

Very

interesting.

Take my love, take my land..

Simulacrum said:

Very

interesting.

Who used that logic? That would carry it to some extent, but really, the Wii outsold them because it's the Wii.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
Immortal said:
Psyberius said:

You missed most of what I said.  Maintaining a library of avi/mp3/gif etc on a computer, accessed very easily via a device that is generally already connected to your network and definitely  connected to your tv is a HUGE feature that is for the most part unknown to the consumer.

As for buying a WII because of the software, i watched a video of people lined up to get their red wii's...when asked why they were buying a WII a bunch of them said they were buying them because their friends/family owned them.  They for the most part didn't remark about the software...the average consumer doesn't know that much about the software on a console they're buying.  

Look, I am not discounting that WII's are the right fit for many millions of people, I am saying that WII has become a self sustaining Juggernaut that is racking up significant sales from word of mouth other than a good investigation of features.

Honestly, when a consumer is out buying a video game console, its video games are almost all that matter.

And obviously the people will buy them because of word of mouth; the Wii's hype isn't even comparable to that of Kinect's for now and journalists seem to be bent on destroying it. I can't believe how condescendingly you speak of "the average consumer" though. Why the heck do you think they wanna buy what their friends and family have? They'll only do it because they have an idea of what the content (in this case, it isn't much other than the software) is like. Most likely, they played Wii Sports at a friend's house, enjoyed it and now want to be able to play it at home.

And why you seem to be criticizing the "word of mouth" aspect of Wii's sales is beyond me. Not as if hype or brand loyalty are any better.

Ummm games are almost that matter to you...the average buyer is utterly clueless of most of the software for their console.  They're sheep, they're lemmings...they're buying this Christmas because WII's been the thing for a couple Christmases so they're buying for this Christmas.  Microsoft like the morphing virus they are have all but copied WII's charm as well as have continued their other power options.  You can tell that WII is losing steam by the non Christmas figures...if Microsoft could quantify XBLive, streaming media etc, WII would take a massive hit.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say MS is going to be kicking WII ass next Christmas as well as all year.

I'm sorry but I just don't think that average Joe user could care less what software they're using as long as their whiny kids stop whining. ;)

Simulacrum said:

Very

interesting.

The Wii outsold PS3 and Xbox360 because the Wii has the best games in 2010. It's as simple as that.

Psyberius said:

Ummm games are almost that matter to you...the average buyer is utterly clueless of most of the software for their console.  They're sheep, they're lemmings...they're buying this Christmas because WII's been the thing for a couple Christmases so they're buying for this Christmas.  Microsoft like the morphing virus they are have all but copied WII's charm as well as have continued their other power options.  You can tell that WII is losing steam by the non Christmas figures...if Microsoft could quantify XBLive, streaming media etc, WII would take a massive hit.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say MS is going to be kicking WII ass next Christmas as well as all year.

I'm sorry but I just don't think that average Joe user could care less what software they're using as long as their whiny kids stop whining. ;)

And proof of that would be? It's fun just throwing things out into the void, isn't it?

Wii's non-Christmas figures were as they were because of next to no major software releases and due to userbase saturation/early pricepoint saturation. Despite that and constant major releases for the HD consoles (and Kinect/Move/Slim), Wii still kept on top. It's losing steam alright, but it's too far ahead for it to make a difference.

And, trust me, everyone's gone on a limb every year saying that the HD consoles are gonna be destroying the Wii next Christmas, as well as next year. It's so cliché now that it isn't even funny. Just look at this thread and the hundreds of others saying the same thing on VGChartz, a "Nintendo biased" website according to many.

First, they say "The Wii won't outsell the HD Twins. The fad is over." Then, when the Wii proceeds to do so, they say "Meh, this happens because the many sheep and stupid  people buy the Wii." I've always found it charming and cute that these people are in such severe denial as far as the Wii's selling potential is concerned. Relax dudes. In your minds, the Wii will always go on being Doomed every single year.

Oh, and a price cut won't do  a damn thing. The Wii was able to sell like crazy for 3 years without a price cut. And Nintendo making a price cut the previous year was a bloody stupid move because it was entirely unecessary thanks to New Super Mario Bros Wii. Price cut is a really small thing. High quality software is the driving factor behind all hardware sales. Otherwise, why should you bother buying a console if you aren't going to play games on it?

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. " So, go ahead and ask.

The next questions is whether the Wii can beat it's own best week from last year.  What were it's peak numbers last year?