By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii be able to outsell the Hd consoles any week this holiday?

Psyberius said:
RolStoppable said:

And with this... the Wii survives another year. That despite all the things it had going against it:

• Less powerful than the competitors' consoles
  • No HD graphics
  • Online infrastructure from the stone age
  • No good third party support
  • Michael Pachter
  • The video game industry
  • Lack of coolness, image (grandmas play that thing)
  • PlayStation Move
  • Xbox Kinect
  • Shia Laboeuf (would rather eat glass than playing the Wii)
Which just goes to show that the only one who can kill the Wii is Nintendo. I hope they are aware of that fact, because... with great power comes great responsibility.

No, what it goes to show you is how much society is governed by lemmingitis.  No matter how much logic it makes sense to buy a superior product, people will follow hype from previous years.  If consumers would actually look into their buying process and really check out features, WII would be gone.

There is sooo little reason to own a wii over a ps3 or 360.  If your average joe smoe user knew that they could stream all their stolen content thru their HD console, WII wouldn't be able to sell for free.  Graphics, more in depth games, online infrastructure aside, being able to bang content into their tv's without hard to setup video mods to their computers is a HUUUGE thing for people now.

If Microsoft and Sony spent time educating people in the bene's of accessing massive libraries of video, music, pictures etc, WII would experience a HUGE drop in sales.  That is of course if it's possible to actually educate the average user of WII...from what i've seen they're pretty simple. :(

Sony and Microsoft are lemmings then, yeah? Pfft.

Anyone know what 'more in depth games' means? For people that like games the crucial element is fun not 'depth'. So you have basically (without meaning to) explained why the Wii sells more. It is associated by the public with enjoyment via Mario and other arcade style games, does movement and fitness more cheaply than than PS3 and 360 and is perceived as the more sociable of consoles.

Your suggestion that Microsoft and Sony should educate about video, music and pictures would make no real inroads on Wii's image or ability to sell.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Around the Network
Psyberius said:
RolStoppable said:

And with this... the Wii survives another year. That despite all the things it had going against it:

• No HD graphics
  • Michael Pachter
  • PlayStation Move
  • Xbox Kinect
Which just goes to show that the only one who can kill the Wii is Nintendo. I hope they are aware of that fact, because... with great power comes great responsibility.

No, what it goes to show you is how much society is governed by lemmingitis.  No matter how much logic it makes sense to buy a superior product, people will follow hype from previous years.  If consumers would actually look into their buying process and really check out features, WII would be gone.  

There is sooo little reason to own a wii over a ps3 or 360.  If your average joe smoe user knew that they could stream all their stolen content thru their HD console, WII wouldn't be able to sell for free.  Graphics, more in depth games, online infrastructure aside, being able to bang content into their tv's without hard to setup video mods to their computers is a HUUUGE thing for people now.  

If Microsoft and Sony spent time educating people in the bene's of accessing massive libraries of video, music, pictures etc, WII would experience a HUGE drop in sales.  That is of course if it's possible to actually educate the average user of WII...from what i've seen they're pretty simple. :(

Hope you were kidding.  If you were serious then this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen.  No need for me to explain what makes it dumb.  Just go back and read it yourself bearing in mind the whole world is not a carbon copy of you and you will see why it is dumb for yourself.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

imo wii sales will fell considerably after christmas vacations , back in third place in weekly basis as it was the previous 5 months.

CROWS!!11!

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

it is ok Wii haters maybe next year will be the year were wii is actually doomed!!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
eliasg said:

imo wii sales will fell considerably after christmas vacations , back in third place in weekly basis as it was the previous 5 months.

LOL, someone need to look at the chartz again.

Because in the last 5 months(or 22 weeks), Wii was third for 7 weeks, on second for 11 and first for 4.

And that was with 360slim, halo, move and kinect.

And i didn't get the first two december weeks, only from july to november.

Wyrdness said:

With the amount of Wii predictions that have gone wrong I'm surprised crows aren't extinct, I hear they taste quite bitter as well.

Trust me, there are plenty of other predictions that go the other way that are/were equally wrong.

But, in this case, I can't really see how anyone could think the Wii wouldn't win the holidays yet again.

cliffhanger said:
Psyberius said:
RolStoppable said:

• No HD graphics
  • Michael Pachter
  • PlayStation Move
  • Xbox Kinect

woah woah woah. What? Please take off your HD-fogged glasses. What you just said is pretty ignorant and stupid. Think a little bit. One thing that the wii has that the HD consoles don't is nintendo software. That's huge. I like Mario and Donkey Kong. I don't like Call of Duty and I don't like Halo. So what is someone like me to buy? You want me to get a 360? Please! I don't care about online and SD graphics don't bother me, and that makes me simple? Judging from wii sales, I'm not alone here. I think most people will choose a console based on the games it has.

You missed most of what I said.  Maintaining a library of avi/mp3/gif etc on a computer, accessed very easily via a device that is generally already connected to your network and definitely  connected to your tv is a HUGE feature that is for the most part unknown to the consumer.

As for buying a WII because of the software, i watched a video of people lined up to get their red wii's...when asked why they were buying a WII a bunch of them said they were buying them because their friends/family owned them.  They for the most part didn't remark about the software...the average consumer doesn't know that much about the software on a console they're buying.  

Look, I am not discounting that WII's are the right fit for many millions of people, I am saying that WII has become a self sustaining Juggernaut that is racking up significant sales from word of mouth other than a good investigation of features.

Psyberius said:
cliffhanger said:
Psyberius said:
RolStoppable said:

• No HD graphics
  • Michael Pachter
  • PlayStation Move
  • Xbox Kinect

woah woah woah. What? Please take off your HD-fogged glasses. What you just said is pretty ignorant and stupid. Think a little bit. One thing that the wii has that the HD consoles don't is nintendo software. That's huge. I like Mario and Donkey Kong. I don't like Call of Duty and I don't like Halo. So what is someone like me to buy? You want me to get a 360? Please! I don't care about online and SD graphics don't bother me, and that makes me simple? Judging from wii sales, I'm not alone here. I think most people will choose a console based on the games it has.

You missed most of what I said.  Maintaining a library of avi/mp3/gif etc on a computer, accessed very easily via a device that is generally already connected to your network and definitely  connected to your tv is a HUGE feature that is for the most part unknown to the consumer.

As for buying a WII because of the software, i watched a video of people lined up to get their red wii's...when asked why they were buying a WII a bunch of them said they were buying them because their friends/family owned them.  They for the most part didn't remark about the software...the average consumer doesn't know that much about the software on a console they're buying.

Look, I am not discounting that WII's are the right fit for many millions of people, I am saying that WII has become a self sustaining Juggernaut that is racking up significant sales from word of mouth other than a good investigation of features.

They might buy them because their family/friends own them... but also because they played it at their friends house and enjoyed it!

for watching avi/mp3 etc: put them on an external HDD, much more convenient because you don't have to run your computer all the time to provide the data, and just plug it directly to your TV. no need to run PC, 360 AND the TV to watch stuff. Or if you want a better interface to access the data than the TV provides build a HTPC... a MUCH better media center than the lightweight 360/ps3 stuff. at least you can build those to be silent. i'd hate all the noise the 360 makes while watching a movie!

Nah, I don't think it will outsell them this holiday ;)