By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Christmas 2010: PS3 vs Xbox360

Dark_Feanor said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Jay520 said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Why people zealously belive GT5 will drive :) PS3 to sell so much more than any other exclusive. It was the same story with God of War 3,  but we all saw what happened.

Just look at pré-order charts.

Nobody care about GT5 any more. There are many other car simulators on the market. And this generation is ruled by FPS games and Online experiences.

Can any one imagine 2mi people playing GT5 online at the same time?

Who ever said God of War 3 would push major hardware? O.o

As for your other statements, I won't bother replying. 

unfounded accusations!

i didn't see wht happened? and if you mean it sold more then the first two then your right. God of war 3 did move hardware(not in big numbers).

and like most others i don't pre-order games and we all know pre-orders pick up as a games release gets closer.

some if not most gamers still don't play online.

i for one have abandoned the FPS genre.

and why can't gt5 sell big numbers or out sell reach. and don't give me that FPS dominating this gen bull! 

4- Because it can't, just acept that. That is not a mather of like/dislike a platform or  game genre. That is the reality. I would be surprise if GT5 sell more than half Reach.

It's not reality and it can. Maybe not initially but it will likely outsell the Halo Reach lifetime as GT games tend to have legs. GT5: Prologue, with only 6 tracks and 60 cars compared to the 20 (70 variations) tracks and just under 1000 cars of GT5 has sold nearly 5 million copies as of December 2009:

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

You'll also see that GT4, the last full GT game to be released sold over 11 million, and GT3, the first GT game of the PS2 gen sold 14 million.

As for competition, there is only 1 game that really competes with the franchise and that's Forza on 360, and the last two Forza games have sold worse than GT5: Prologue.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Cypher1980 said:

With BluRay seemingly destined to never be adopted by the mainstream the only thing that differentiates them is Free Gaming for the PS3.

And the games.

I respectfully disagree.

I mean yes the games have different names, however...

The PS3 has a driving Sim the Xbox has a driving Sim

The PS3 has a third person run and gun the Xbox has a third person run and gun

etc ad infinitum yada yada yada

Scoobes said:
Dark_Feanor said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Jay520 said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Why people zealously belive GT5 will drive :) PS3 to sell so much more than any other exclusive. It was the same story with God of War 3,  but we all saw what happened.

Nobody care about GT5 any more. There are many other car simulators on the market. And this generation is ruled by FPS games and Online experiences.

unfounded accusations!

i didn't see wht happened? and if you mean it sold more then the first two then your right. God of war 3 did move hardware(not in big numbers).

and like most others i don't pre-order games and we all know pre-orders pick up as a games release gets closer.

and why can't gt5 sell big numbers or out sell reach. and don't give me that FPS dominating this gen bull! 

4- Because it can't, just acept that. That is not a mather of like/dislike a platform or  game genre. That is the reality. I would be surprise if GT5 sell more than half Reach.

It's not reality and it can. Maybe not initially but it will likely outsell the Halo Reach lifetime as GT games tend to have legs. GT5: Prologue, with only 6 tracks and 60 cars compared to the 20 (70 variations) tracks and just under 1000 cars of GT5 has sold nearly 5 million copies as of December 2009:

You'll also see that GT4, the last full GT game to be released sold over 11 million, and GT3, the first GT game of the PS2 gen sold 14 million.

As for competition, there is only 1 game that really competes with the franchise and that's Forza on 360, and the last two Forza games have sold worse than GT5: Prologue.

There are 2 things to factor in:

When GT5: Prologue came out, do you remember what the PS3 library was looking like? Pretty much everyone who owned a PS3 at that time was itching for GT5. If GT5:Prologue has released on a system with a better selection of games, it's sales would not have been so profound.

Also, the last full GT game sold 11 million units on a system with 3x the installed base of the PS3, in a generation where racing games were more popular. You can't expect sales to compare.

Jereel Hunter said:
Scoobes said:
Dark_Feanor said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Jay520 said:
Dark_Feanor said:

unfounded accusations!

There are 2 things to factor in:

When GT5: Prologue came out, do you remember what the PS3 library was looking like? Pretty much everyone who owned a PS3 at that time was itching for GT5. If GT5:Prologue has released on a system with a better selection of games, it's sales would not have been so profound.

Also, the last full GT game sold 11 million units on a system with 3x the installed base of the PS3, in a generation where racing games were more popular. You can't expect sales to compare.

Were racing games that much more popular last gen? Other than a few franchises racing games have rarely sold more than 1-2 million. And we've yet to see a proper F1 game made for the HD consoles (the one of PS3 was a PS2 upgrade).

If we look at the software market GT5 will be releasing to, there is no competition for the type of racing simulation it offers on PS3. Quite simply, there never was on any console until Forza yet it's on a seperate console and is a weaker franchise.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

Signs point to 360 winning just based on Halo: Reach and the halo reach special edition consoles look sick.

Gran Turismo will be big but imo not bigger then Reach.

welshbloke said:

360 will dominate unless somebody throws a curveball and the exclusives listed are not classed as curveballs. For me Microsoft are doing a good job carrying the momentum into the Xmas period and I cannot see things slowing up anytime soon.

^ this

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

I expect nothing. 

No matter how things look like right now how the market is going to react is unpredictable. And how the advertisment and strategy of Sony and MS will look like is also unknown. Anything can happen. 

I know just one thing. Nintendo will sell a lot during christmas since they have this christmas feeling no other videogame company has. 

Kinect and Move have to proof themselfs. And first sales may come from hyped core but later the sales have to come from people who actually like the product and that depends on software like always

Dark_Feanor said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Jay520 said:
Dark_Feanor said:

unfounded accusations!

1- Yes, you are right. It sold more PS3 but not a major boost. I almost bought one bc of GW3. And for all my friends that only have PC or 360, God of War was the only game they envy PS3 owners.

2- Pre order is a indicator of how much a game is expected. I for the other hand rather buy platinum hits or used games, however in the case of Reach I MUST have my copy at the first day ;)

3- I only play Halo 3 now, and sometimes a friend call me to play MW2. If you check, the big numbers are almost all FPS or TPS or games that embebed this elements (Ex: Mass Effect, Dead Space, Red Dead Redemption).

4. i respect that, but saying it can't is like telling someone they can't vote. anything is possible.

3. in my op worst games ever halo and anything MW.

2. halo sold how many in the first wk. it's safe to say it didn't have over 2m preorders.

1. we agree on something.

WarmachineX said:
welshbloke said:

360 will dominate unless somebody throws a curveball and the exclusives listed are not classed as curveballs. For me Microsoft are doing a good job carrying the momentum into the Xmas period and I cannot see things slowing up anytime soon.

^ this

Double that