By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is living in the past

OMG I just got the punchline! *laughs a short while, starts to feel a little sheepish, then facepalms self* I'm usually smarter than this... I guess internet forums really do make you lose 30 IQ points.

My Wii Friend Code is: 6458-0869-2019-9754

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is: 1891-1193-6272

And my Pokemon White Friend Code is: 2408-6863-8559

PM me with your corresponding code if you Friend me!

Around the Network

"Nintendo is living in the past"

Yeah sure. Is that why Sony and Microsoft are strugling to catch up?

Did you even watch E3 2010?

LOL. I had to register just to reply to this silly thread. Oh yeah the 3DS is a HUGE step back guys. LOL!!

lvader said:

Just because they are using known characters doesn't mean what they are doing with them isn't inovative. SMG2 is far more fresh and new than anything from Sony or MS.

Little Big Planet and Modnation says hello.

I can respect the fact that you would like to see Nintendo create some new IPs, but your thread just baffles me with your comparisons to other events that happened in the past.  What do other events that happened on the same year as a Nintendo game launch have to do with why Nintendo shouldn't revisit old franchises?  Should we not like the Gamecube and Xbox 1 just because they launched the same year as 9/11?  One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

infamous23 said:

It's more like they refuse to move out of the family friendly mold.  And yeah, they do have Metroid:  Other M, but does anyone expect that to be controversial enough to get any higher than a T rating?  I really don't think with their current success that Nintendo would have the guts to put out edgier games like Heavy Rain.

And you can say the other companies are trying to do likewise to an extent.

Microsoft is certainly wanting to appear more family friendly as shown by their E3 this year.

And Vivid Video has been wanting to do something with Sony for the last couple of years but so far Sony has refused.

Keeping a family friendly appearance might lead to more sales but it really stymies gaming from being able to evolve as a serious artistic medium.

Where twould world of literature be as an art form if you only had Archie and Mickey Mouse comics and no Naked Lunch or Ulysseus?

well i saw someone earlier mention how how can adults play non 18 games.  I'm guessing he had to be sarcastic, but seems your saying simliar here.  I bet only 10% of my game collection is rated M, the rest are T or lower.  Its been a many a years since I turned 18.

So what am I doing playing these kiddy games?  Hell we only watch rated R movies right?  If you go to a rated PG, PG-13, G or any other movie you are just not mature at all.  It has to be rated R right? just like games have to be rated M.

I can't have fun playing with people if the game is not rated M, that is false fun.  I'm just pretending to have fun. 

See i don't know what this family friendly appearance is you have going on for Nintendo, but lets use disney for example since they seem simlar.  Just went to Prince of Persia recently and i loved it.  I loved pirates of cariibean movies, chronicles of narnia, looking forward to sorceror's apprentice and other disney movies.  And no what?  those movies don't have a single ounce of blood shown in any of the fights and killing.  They don't swear either, or have nudity at all. 

Can i not enjoy them? 

Around the Network

Is there a blackout in Marzipan or something? Let me spell it out for you:

THIS.

IS.

A.

JOKE.

THREAD.

My Wii Friend Code is: 6458-0869-2019-9754

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is: 1891-1193-6272

And my Pokemon White Friend Code is: 2408-6863-8559

PM me with your corresponding code if you Friend me!

archbrix said:

I can respect the fact that you would like to see Nintendo create some new IPs, but your thread just baffles me with your comparisons to other events that happened in the past.  What do other events that happened on the same year as a Nintendo game launch have to do with why Nintendo shouldn't revisit old franchises?  Should we not like the Gamecube and Xbox 1 just because they launched the same year as 9/11?  One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

iasta said:

Ha ha ha, nice thread and read. Funny haters magnet

Even more  the M mature games are the only true one arguments! No more heroes for exemple is everything but really mature... Some cutscene are really the juvenille definition of "mature" (boobs! Blood!...)

I was afraid my wife come on the room during certains cutscene because of so mature peep-show scene and the so artistic mastubation in front of some anime.

My wife don't like see me play the "mature" (madworld, THOTD:O) games there are too much blood for her taste but strangely she liked watching games Mario kart, NSMBW ,...

Actually Nintendo had done much more for game recognization with his "casual" series than the hardcore series with their blood, sex and drugs. Before, games were look as a blood thirsty violent activities. Now it is regarded as nice, fun and social. i think we can thank GTA IV, Fallout 3 and God of War for that :p

Last, speaking of Fallout 3 and consider it a really "mature" game is funny because it was water down compare to the 2 first Fallout (Penthouses, proxenetism). and for GTA IV, it's look down because because the sand box is not as open as GTA:SA, people like GTA for the great sand box experience so you can play and have a lot of fun for hours without actually playing a mission.

Well, most people probably don't have wives that are as attractive as Sylvia in No More Heroes, and one of the key goals of video games that are forward looking in their mindset is to eventually enable people to find a vicarious method to live out their fantasies.  ie.  have a system just like the holodeck on Star Trek The Next Generation that would allow one to have simulated sex  with virtual representations of Jenna Jameson or Sasha Grey that would seem just as real as the real thing. 

In this Sylvia would be a much more evolved and forward thinking videogame character than Princesses Peach or Zelda because I don't remember either one offering to have "hot yoga sex" with Mario or Link in twenty something years of their appearances in video games.  In fact, in some of the more recent outings it would appear that they have even regressed even more into naive roles.

GTA:  SA may have been more fun than GTA IV. however, I don't think it had the same biting satire of GTA IV which was almost as observant as that in some of the best South Park episodes and the geo-political tones of GTA IV were much more serious than those in GTA:  SA, so I think it might not make it the better game, but that it should make GTA IV the much more serious work of art of the two GTA games. 

irstupid said:
infamous23 said:

It's more like they refuse to move out of the family friendly mold.  And yeah, they do have Metroid:  Other M, but does anyone expect that to be controversial enough to get any higher than a T rating?  I really don't think with their current success that Nintendo would have the guts to put out edgier games like Heavy Rain.

And you can say the other companies are trying to do likewise to an extent.

Microsoft is certainly wanting to appear more family friendly as shown by their E3 this year.

And Vivid Video has been wanting to do something with Sony for the last couple of years but so far Sony has refused.

Keeping a family friendly appearance might lead to more sales but it really stymies gaming from being able to evolve as a serious artistic medium.

Where twould world of literature be as an art form if you only had Archie and Mickey Mouse comics and no Naked Lunch or Ulysseus?

well i saw someone earlier mention how how can adults play non 18 games.  I'm guessing he had to be sarcastic, but seems your saying simliar here.  I bet only 10% of my game collection is rated M, the rest are T or lower.  Its been a many a years since I turned 18.

So what am I doing playing these kiddy games?  Hell we only watch rated R movies right?  If you go to a rated PG, PG-13, G or any other movie you are just not mature at all.  It has to be rated R right? just like games have to be rated M.

I can't have fun playing with people if the game is not rated M, that is false fun.  I'm just pretending to have fun. 

See i don't know what this family friendly appearance is you have going on for Nintendo, but lets use disney for example since they seem simlar.  Just went to Prince of Persia recently and i loved it.  I loved pirates of cariibean movies, chronicles of narnia, looking forward to sorceror's apprentice and other disney movies.  And no what?  those movies don't have a single ounce of blood shown in any of the fights and killing.  They don't swear either, or have nudity at all. 

Can i not enjoy them? 

Sure you can enjoy them.  But what about people that do want to enjoy blood and nudity on the Wii?  If they're not on there, then they would have a hard time enjoying them.  And it seems like NOA hasn't really been pushing to have outstanding games with risquier fare on there since Madworld came out and they got a lot of flak from activists group saying we can't have that type of material on "our console."

Caliko said:

"Nintendo is living in the past"

Yeah sure. Is that why Sony and Microsoft are strugling to catch up?

Did you even watch E3 2010?

LOL. I had to register just to reply to this silly thread. Oh yeah the 3DS is a HUGE step back guys. LOL!!

Welcome to the site Caliko.

i am amp316, the writer of many stone cold serious threads.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger