By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why are some people mad that super mario galaxy 2 got a 10 in some reviews?

Rpruett said:
Just a thought....because it's more of the same? Mario 64 / Mario Galaxy / Mario Galaxy 2 re-skinned versions of the same fundamental principle. And (personal opinion) are heavily overrated and the last true great (10/10 deserving Mario) was Mario 64.

The same people jumping in front of moving cars to defend the 10/10 scores are the same people who bash God of War 3 or games of that caliber for doing more of the same, or being stale. Well Pot meet Kettle.

In my personal opinion the game is above average and certainly not 'perfect'. While it's well made, it seems like it's predictable Nintendo hype. Just like Super Smash Brothers was.

People want full sequels to these great games not these re-skinned, practical clone efforts that Nintendo has been notorious for.

what he said....... seriously couldn't have said it better myself

Around the Network
melbye said:
Because it's not a HD-game

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

zero129 said:
pastro243 said:
zero129 said:
Like what was said the only people who would complain are fanboys to one console being PS3 or 360, and people who may of started gaming in the PS era of gaming (Not that all people who started gaming then are pure fanboys).
Other then that no one can say a mario game does not deserve the scores he gets....

Ok, first you have to explain why people that started gaming in the ps/N64 gen would think this, you are making it like if the mayority of them were fanboys, and it makes me feel you think only gamers from previous generations dont have fanboys which I doubt.

Then, Its completely possible and valid that people disagree with review scores, whatever the game is.

Well i dont think any N64 owner is going to dissagree with the score as anyone that got an n64 got it for mario 64 imo.

but almost anyone that doesn't like the score is most likely people that started gamning in the PS1-2 xbox gen that wasn't nintendo fans, so they feel this game shouldn't get a higher score then their games etc.

If you dont get it no point in me explaining but thats just how it is imo.

Enjoy the games not the console is my moto (Hate fanboys)...

ok, so the fact (not a fact, but let's assume it for the sake of argument) that most of the people that don't agree with the scores are not fans of Nintendo means you shouldn't listen to their opinion, but on the flip side that would mean most of the people who agree with the score are Nintendo fans, and in my mind that means you shouldn't listen to their opinion either.  So both sides of this thread are just acting on biases outside of the actual quality of the game.

anyway, not that i surf the webs all that much but i never saw some hate.

anyway, 3 possible reasons:

1. fanboyism, a 10/10 score puts SMG right in the cross-fire

2. the opinion on "what should a sequel be?" varies among everyone. ppl often complain that most games don't innovate enough and therefore deserve crappier scores (not saying SMG2 didn't innovate, i haven't even played it yet)

3. someone said 10 simply means its the best it can possibly be. i have to respectfully disagree. check any site, the word that goes with 10/10 is 'perfect'. and that brings in tons of ppl who say well how can it be perfect? honestly, i believe if a game is played and you believe it couldn't of been improved at all, it deserves a 10.

and to some other comments flying around

to those ign comments: if those are actual excerpts... WOW, i'm speechless. i guess i now understand why wii owners seem so defensive.

to the comments 'because it's not HD': just give it a break, seriously. i often see more attacks at games on the HD consoles by wii only owners. and like mentioned above, if comments like those ign ones are true, then just ignore them, don't sink to their stupidity.

to the comments 'because they hate mario': you make the ign comments look good lol. how can somebody possibly say they like video games yet not like mario. that, my friend is a contradiction lol

To me it doesn't deserve it. The game recycled to much from the first game.

From the mobs, to the sounds, to the bosses, and even animations. It really feels like SMG1.5 with updated graphics and new levels. Best way to describe it is a expansion pack.

THIS IS NOT A TROLL. That is just how I feel. It doesn't make the game bad. But it doesn't deserve a 10. A 9/10 is more like it.

Around the Network

It's not a question of what a game does differently necessarily. If it's infinitely fun to play, then it should be rated as such. If you find a place that makes the best pizza you've ever had, do you get upset when you go there again and they haven't changed the pizza? Should Modern Warfare 3 come out as a platformer next time? I don't understand why anyone even cares about scores. It's supposed to just be an objective opinion that helps interested consumers gauge their interest. It's not fact. I could understand if 99% of reviews said a game was terrible and one site said it was a "perfect 10!", but in this scenario, it's pretty universal that SMG2 is phenomenal on pretty much every level. But for all those that are complaining, did you complain when GTA4 got 10s all over the place? It was a "rehash" just as much as SMG2. And what game actually DESERVES a 10 that has gotten one? By these standards, pretty much no game should ever be rated a 10.

binary solo said:
Oooooh, how about this one?

Because now a Wii game has a legitimate shot at being 2010 overall GOTY, and that's just not acceptable.

But Twilight Princess won several GotY awards in 2006, and Galaxy won most of them in 2007.

Rpruett said:
Just a thought....because it's more of the same? Mario 64 / Mario Galaxy / Mario Galaxy 2 re-skinned versions of the same fundamental principle. And (personal opinion) are heavily overrated and the last true great (10/10 deserving Mario) was Mario 64.

The same people jumping in front of moving cars to defend the 10/10 scores are the same people who bash God of War 3 or games of that caliber for doing more of the same, or being stale. Well Pot meet Kettle.

In my personal opinion the game is above average and certainly not 'perfect'. While it's well made, it seems like it's predictable Nintendo hype. Just like Super Smash Brothers was.

People want full sequels to these great games not these re-skinned, practical clone efforts that Nintendo has been notorious for.

I agree. Also, I played the first one and I didn't like it, but I though it was a great game, just not for me. I guess I only like Mario in 2D. I personally think that no game should get a 10/10, because there is no game can be perfect. A 9.5 seems more reasonable to me.

noname2200 said:
binary solo said:
Oooooh, how about this one?

Because now a Wii game has a legitimate shot at being 2010 overall GOTY, and that's just not acceptable.

But Twilight Princess won several GotY awards in 2006, and Galaxy won most of them in 2007.

Yeah, but that was back when PS3 had no games

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I could care less about Mario or really Nintendo in general. With that said I have no problem with it getting a 10. If its truly one of the best Mario games ever made, considering how highly regarded Mario is, then it deserves it.

Enjoy your sweet game, who cares about a fucking number or peoples reaction to it.