By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why are some people mad that super mario galaxy 2 got a 10 in some reviews?

I just want to thank Frieza for brightening up my evening a little. Please, continue.

Around the Network

downplaying a mario game for story? LOL!

psrock said:
These scores have fixed the review system many of us thought was broken not long ago.

Can't fix a sucking chest wound with just a band-aid and a strip of tape.

Frieza said:
"Or... Maybe the game is actually EXTREMEMLY GOOD?? Did you ever think of that?"

No i didnt because it isnt extremely good, Metal Gear solid games, the GTAs on PS2, FF7 are extremely good, Galaxy 2 isnt. Its alright i played it its just ok, a little kiddy but it was fun for an hour.

"If you think Super Mario Galaxy is a re-skinned version of Super Mario 64, you are just as wrong as he is."

Swap 64 for Galaxy 1 and im right.

Fair enough, I'm not going to sit here and scream "you're wrong!" like an 8 year old, becuase that would be an argument that could never be won. I personally think FF7 is boring, MGS doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, and GTA games, although fun, are highly overrated.. But that's just my opinion. I just love the style for Galaxy 2. Every star is a new adventure with new features in the game, and it never gets old to me.

To ME, the game truly is a 10, or at least very close to it.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one :/

What I DO need to call you out on, is that Mario 64 is just like Galaxy. You obviously haven't played one or both of those titles if you truely think that. This is not an opinion, this is just WRONG. It shares a few similarities, sure, like that they're both 3D Mario games, and both involve collecting stars. But that's pretty much where the similarities end.

cAPSLOCK said:
Haters gonna hate.

Also lollin at the "same thing" bullshit when there's been 4 Mario Games in the last 14 years and like 5,000 FPS/TPS in the last month. You douches going to shit all over Gran Turismo 5 because HOLY SHIT there's been more of them than Marios, more God of War games in the same time span, more Halos in the same time span.

Where's the tardcore bitching? Oh that's right this is NINTENDO so we conveniently forget the last 10 years of stagnant game development.

Seriously, 4 Mario games in the last 14 years, all of them with wildly different game mechanics except the 4th which is superior to the 3rd in every way.

If its score holds then it's game of the generation and fucking LOL if Nintendo walks away with the best rated AND best selling games of the generation against the HD behemoths.

Good god...if i start counting things that are wrong with this post i would finish when the next World Cup starts...

Around the Network
Maneco said:
papflesje said:
I've played it and I love it, but to be honest, games like God of War 3 get smashed for being "the same ol', same ol'" when they do try to improve on the basis they are known for.

SMG 2 is also basing itself on the previous one and improves here and there (and is an utterly enjoyable game all around), but with SMG 2 it's considered good that it's more of the same with touches here and there.

With God of War 3 (and other games), that usually means (or meant) they would be tackled because of "more of the same".

That's the only somewhat logical anger I can get with SMG 2 scores (not that it doesn't deserve a high score)

Maybe because the developers claimed that GoWIII was innovative (along with other sequels with good reviews), while Miyamoto never said the second game would be innovative in relation to the first, I think. To be honest, I didn't expect SMG2 would be interesting, but perhaps the lack of perspective from the reviewers made them be surprised with the sequel, thus earning them higher scores.

they did? a link please

Im not mad, im not bothered at all really.

However, I would also say I dont much care for reviews and only use them as a guideline rather than a hard fast rule as what I plan to buy and wont. It may still appeal to me irrelevant of its review scores.

On saying that though, to get a perfect score a game must be perfect, and I havent seen a perfect game yet. To be considered perfect and warrant a perfect score for me it must also have the best graphics going, which would also include being HD. People may not agree with that, but I still believe to be considered perfect it has to be perfect in every way.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

cuz there are better games that didnt get a perfect score yet this game got a 10??

Miz24 said:

cuz there are better games that didnt get a perfect score yet this game got a 10??

Which games would those be, just curious? Have you played Galaxy 2? I'm 76 stars in and I can safely say this game is deserving of a 10, or at least pretty damn close to it.

I have played maybe two or three games this gen that maybe be a bit more deserving of a 10 than Galaxy 2; Fallout 3, Oblivion, and maybe Gears 2 (although this game has plenty of glitches of flaws, so maybe more like a 9.5). This is my opinion of course, but so are the reviews that gave Galaxy 2 a 10, yet some people are mad at them for simply having an opinion..

I'm not mad the game got a 10.  Just so far, I'm not sure its gone beyond the original Mario Galaxy.  And I've played about 3/4 the game.

In some ways, its clearly topped the original Mario Galaxy in size of worlds and 'design'.  In other ways, it doesn't quite have the balance and progression of the original.  I haven't reached the ending yet, but if I was reviewing the games, I would give both the same score for doing different things.

The other problem is, if Mario Galaxy 2 is to be given a perfect score, what do you give future games?  What if Metroid: Other M and Zelda Wii come out...and they're the pinnacle titles of their series?  Do they just now get automatic 10s?  Do we need to invent new scores?  Start going for a 12 out of 10 system?

Really, it just shows how reviews are kinda pointless.

Six upcoming games you should look into: