By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why are some people mad that super mario galaxy 2 got a 10 in some reviews?

Because they're consolist!

Around the Network

Rpruett said:
Just a thought....because it's more of the same? Mario 64 / Mario Galaxy / Mario Galaxy 2 re-skinned versions of the same fundamental principle. 

[...]

People want full sequels to these great games not these re-skinned, practical clone efforts that Nintendo has been notorious for.

What?

I'm practically speechless at just how wrong this is.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

He isnt wrong theyre all practically the same, decent to good platformers that if Mario wasnt in the game itd get scores of 7. Its just a tiresome nostalgia thing, Galaxy 3 could be more of the same and people would still eat it up.

Fumanchu said:
I'm somewhat conflicted in my view - on one side I would say that there wouldn't be anything I would change about the game and that it is indeed 'perfect' - in that it is designed to be accessible to a wide audience. The simple models and bright colours work well.

On the other side being a part of the 3D industry I can find this a little bit discouraging and a slap to the face as there really isn't anything - character models, scene assets (including texturing) that would take me longer than an hour to replicate myself. Whereas the character models from the Gears series for example, are really intricately detailed by the best artists in the industry and it pains me that it doesn't get the 10/10 for graphics and something that it so comparatively easier to make receives the award.

Only Gears is..

1. On the Xbox 360, which is obviously the more powerful console, and

2. Visually dull in terms of its color spectrum, which is filled with mostly greys and browns. Whereas Galaxy 2 is extremely colorful and vibrant. And yes I own both Gears games and have probably put 100s of hours in both. The games look good in terms of smoothness, but little else, as it's filled with many dull colors and dull environments.

Sometimes great graphics aren't about how many polygons you can push but the STLYE of the game.

Frieza said:
He isnt wrong theyre all practically the same, decent to good platformers that if Mario wasnt in the game itd get scores of 7. Its just a tiresome nostalgia thing, Galaxy 3 could be more of the same and people would still eat it up.

Or... Maybe the game is actually EXTREMEMLY GOOD?? Did you ever think of that?

Crazy concept, I know!

What is it about some people that refuse to believe a Nintendo game can be great? Just because it's not YOUR thing doesn't mean it may not be great to others. A game like MGS4 for instance doesn't interest me in the slightest, but I can at least recognise that the game is quality. It just doesn't appeal to ME.

Around the Network
Frieza said:

If you think Super Mario Galaxy is a re-skinned version of Super Mario 64, you are just as wrong as he is.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

"Or... Maybe the game is actually EXTREMEMLY GOOD?? Did you ever think of that?"

No i didnt because it isnt extremely good, Metal Gear solid games, the GTAs on PS2, FF7 are extremely good, Galaxy 2 isnt. Its alright i played it its just ok, a little kiddy but it was fun for an hour.

"If you think Super Mario Galaxy is a re-skinned version of Super Mario 64, you are just as wrong as he is."

Swap 64 for Galaxy 1 and im right.

personally i couldnt care less what it gets, as im not huge on it

but i think some people care, because a lot of games get dinged for doing the same thing again, the trailers i saw made it look like galaxy with yoshi

now im not saying thats what it is, but it is what it looked like

so doods that havent played it are piling on the hate i guess, based on how it appears

but again i havent played it so i dont know, tho i may never play it tbh

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Frieza said:
"Or... Maybe the game is actually EXTREMEMLY GOOD?? Did you ever think of that?"

No i didnt because it isnt extremely good, Metal Gear solid games, the GTAs on PS2, FF7 are extremely good, Galaxy 2 isnt. Its alright i played it its just ok, a little kiddy but it was fun for an hour.

"If you think Super Mario Galaxy is a re-skinned version of Super Mario 64, you are just as wrong as he is."

Swap 64 for Galaxy 1 and im right.

I mistakenly thought you might actually have some reasoning or logic behind your stance which I was interested to hear, then you said that.

reading this post is hilarious

wheres the firestorm over how uncharted 2 and gears of war 2, are basically the same thing with new levels and a new move or two

just saying

also the guy who talked about the ps2 gtas, then disses galaxy as a reskin?

did you play those gtas?

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889