By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why are some people mad that super mario galaxy 2 got a 10 in some reviews?

Smidlee said:
Cheebee said:
Bcuz t3h Wii iz for kiddiez & Nint3ndo iz d0med!!1

... Seriously though, that's what I gathered, from about half of IGN's user reviews.

I read some of the reviews (no where near half of IGn users) and it seems the biggest complaint is it got 10 for graphics. I have to agree some on this. While this game is probably the best Wii can do still the Wii 64 mb ram GPU is really showing it age. I'm not referring to the fact Wii games are only in SD either. If a PC game looked like this is would clearly take a hit in the graphics no matter what kind of hardware the game could run on.

While I can understand you reasoning, I think it's just wrong. Yes the Wii tech is old, and given newer hardware, Nintendo could certainly do better. But on that account, DS and PSP games would always have to receive lower scores because they look crap (compared to current console games). PS360 games would have to be scored lower because they aren't as pretty as high-end PC games. At the start of this gen, PS2 and GameCube games would have to be rated low for graphics, because the 360 was already out, and producing much prettier games.

That just doesn't make any sense. Of course there are better looking games out there. A game like Moon (DS) can get a 9 for graphics, while it wouldn't even manage a 3 on, say, PSP. That's because you have to look at things in perspective. The thing you mentioned about how the game would be scored lower if it was on PC is true. Obviously. Because there are much better looking games available on PC's. However, this is the Wii. Not PC, not PS3, not 360. Wii.

Graphics (and hardware) will always improve (well maybe not forever, but you get the point), so to detract points because there are better looking games available on superior hardware is redundant. When it comes to graphics, when rating a game, they are to be compared to what else is out there, on the same platform. And fact is that SMG1 was the best looking Wii game, by far. And when I say by far, I mean it. Galaxy 2 actually manages to improve upon that, and all in 60 fps. By comparison, the vast majority of other Wii software (1st party included), looks ancient and bland.

Furthermore, a 10/10 doesn't mean it's perfect, it means it's the best it can possibly be. The pinnacle of what's possible, given the platform. And according to most reviewers, Galaxy 2's graphics are the best they can be, and the very best of what's available on Wii. A LOT of the reviews even bring up the point that the game easily holds up among, and could sometimes be mistaken for, a PS360 game, resolution aside.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

If the resolution was 640p upscaled to 720p using the unlimited power of the Cell, then the game would be a 10/10. Until that happens, it's a 480/1000.

Games without high definition are not good, fact.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

melbye said:
Because it's not a HD-game

You are 100% correct.  That and the fact that they think that any game that gets a perfect score should be free of all flaws and should be considered the second coming.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
If the resolution was 640p upscaled to 720p using the unlimited power of the Cell, then the game would be a 10/10. Until that happens, it's a 480/1000.

Games without high definition are not good, fact.

As you pointed out some  PS3 /X360  games are only upscaled to 640p so there more to HD consoles than just HD. 

it's on the wii. it is impossible for a wii game to be good. the laws
of physics, space, and time simply do not allow it.

Around the Network

I dont know why, but I havent seen many people mad arround here, havent seen other sites though.

Because they're dicks?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Oooooh, how about this one?

Because now a Wii game has a legitimate shot at being 2010 overall GOTY, and that's just not acceptable.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Was unaware anyone was

You are suppose to pretend people are mad then explain why.