By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why are some people mad that super mario galaxy 2 got a 10 in some reviews?

gamings_best said:
Rpruett said:
Just a thought....because it's more of the same? Mario 64 / Mario Galaxy / Mario Galaxy 2 re-skinned versions of the same fundamental principle. And (personal opinion) are heavily overrated and the last true great (10/10 deserving Mario) was Mario 64.

The same people jumping in front of moving cars to defend the 10/10 scores are the same people who bash God of War 3 or games of that caliber for doing more of the same, or being stale. Well Pot meet Kettle.

In my personal opinion the game is above average and certainly not 'perfect'. While it's well made, it seems like it's predictable Nintendo hype. Just like Super Smash Brothers was.

People want full sequels to these great games not these re-skinned, practical clone efforts that Nintendo has been notorious for.

what he said....... seriously couldn't have said it better myself

I'm sure you can name a bunch of games that are just like Galaxy 2. 

It's just "more the same".  Even though there is really only ONE other game like it.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Around the Network
Wagram said:
To me it doesn't deserve it. The game recycled to much from the first game.

From the mobs, to the sounds, to the bosses, and even animations. It really feels like SMG1.5 with updated graphics and new levels. Best way to describe it is a expansion pack.

THIS IS NOT A TROLL. That is just how I feel. It doesn't make the game bad. But it doesn't deserve a 10. A 9/10 is more like it.

With this kind of attitude you sholdn't play sequels at all, especially Final Fantasy.

gamings_best said:
curl-6 said:

Galaxy 2's improvements and additions have a deeper impact on the core gameplay mechanics than GoW3's, which were largely presentational.

gameplay changes to GOW3 were as deep as SMG2

God of War 3 had s ignificant changes, particularly in innovations in magic and item management, but they did not change the gameplay as deeply as the changes in Super Mario Galaxy 2 have and I don't understand how you can argue otherwise.

Wagram said:

From the mobs, to the sounds, to the bosses, and even animations. It really feels like SMG1.5 with updated graphics and new levels. Best way to describe it is a expansion pack.

THIS IS NOT A TROLL. That is just how I feel. It doesn't make the game bad. But it doesn't deserve a 10. A 9/10 is more like it.

Fair enough, but then shouldn't most every FPS release nowadays also be critiqued on the basis that they are just recycling old gameplay with updated graphics? For instance, MW2 recieved great reviews (and is a great game don't get me wrong), yet what did it really do different than MW1, or most other recent FPS for that matter? And I bet you anything that Black Ops, which will be similar as well, will ALSO recieve great scores. What did Gears 2 do really different from Gears 1? What about GTA4 from GTA3? Or GoW3 from GoW2? Or Halo ODST from Halo 3 from Halo 2? See the double standard?

Galaxy 2 should be judged by its own merits, not whether or not it's similar to Galaxy 1, which it looks to be a pretty significant improvement from anyway.

I think it's about time the Wii got a 10 rated game. If games like GTA4 and MGS4 can get them, why not Galaxy 2? I personally think NSMB Wii should have been the game to recieve the 10s, but Galalxy 2 certainly seems to be the next on the list of the most worthy.

graphics are not 10/10 quality
physics are not 10/10 quality
story is not 10/10 quality
sound is not 10/10 quality
mario is a very old character and hes got boring

at best the only thing that does deserve 10/10 is the level design.
apart from level design, its an extremely mediocre game and its a shame reviewers actually think its 10/10 quality.

Around the Network

fps_d0minat0r said:
graphics are not 10/10 quality For a Wii game they are... Really by ANY standards the graphics are very good.
physics are not 10/10 quality Is this a joke? The physics are actually quite sophisticated and one of the notable features of the game, as they vary from planet to planet, and have some unique features like reversing gravity.
story is not 10/10 quality Come on, really? Mario games should NEVER be judged on their story. Is Pacman judged on its story?
sound is not 10/10 quality The soundtrack from what I heard is amazing, and is actually one of the few qualities of Galaxy that is superior to NSMB Wii.
mario is a very old character and hes got boring

I could care less how many Mario games there are, as long as Nintendo keeps the gameplay fresh and fun. Mario is just a character..

at best the only thing that does deserve 10/10 is the level design.
apart from level design, its an extremely mediocre game and its a shame reviewers actually think its 10/10 quality.

Lol mediocre game.. How do you know this, have you played it? Do you really think a mediocre game would recieve virtually ALL 10s and 9s from game reviewers. Not that I exactly trust most mainstream reviewers, but all signs point to this game being very high quality.

Metallicube said:
Wagram said:

Fair enough, but then shouldn't most every FPS release nowadays also be critiqued on the basis that they are just recycling old gameplay with updated graphics? For instance, MW2 recieved great reviews (and is a great game don't get me wrong), yet what did it really do different than MW1, or most other recent FPS for that matter? And I bet you anything that Black Ops, which will be similar as well, will ALSO recieve great scores. What did Gears 2 do really different from Gears 1? What about GTA4 from GTA3? Or GoW3 from GoW2? Or Halo ODST from Halo 3 from Halo 2? See the double standard?

Galaxy 2 should be judged by its own merits, not whether or not it's similar to Galaxy 1, which it looks to be a pretty significant improvement from anyway.

I think it's about time the Wii got a 10 rated game. If games like GTA4 and MGS4 can get them, why not Galaxy 2? I personally think NSMB Wii should have been the game to recieve the 10s, but Galalxy 2 certainly seems to be the next on the list of the most worthy.

No game is worth a 10. and none of the games you listed are a 10. I see a couple that could be a 9.5 but not 10.

It's just hard for me to even remotely think that Critics are giving the game a 10. Me and a friend of mine were playing SMG and SMG2 side by side last night.

Here are some of the things that are the same:

- The musical tunes that we have heard for years now in mostly every Mario game, but with a couple addittions.

- Some monsters are exactly the same except something on them may vary from its SMG1 counterpart. Ex.) Good Egg Galaxy (SMG1 boss) is in 2 with an egg on a different part of his body.

- Marios Flying through space animation.

- Star Bites look EXACTLY the same, and so does the icon.

- The HUD display is pretty much the EXACT same as the 1st one. Side by side there is no difference.

- The Lumas say the SAME words when transforming. "Oh FEEED MEEEE!: "TRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAANSSSSFORRRRRMMMM" In the SAME font and color mind you.

- The strategy for killing come bosses are the same as their counterpart in the 1st.

- Some in-game things look the same as well, such as the stars that transport you to another part of the level.

This is not meant as a troll towards the game. These are just my complaints. Even though my complaints would never drastically alter a review for the game if I choose to do so. But reviewers can not go spazoid on other games for lack of creation and recycling when they turn around and give another game a free pass. SMG2 is a solid game at around a 9/10. But it is NOT a 10.

I will say that the graphics are kick ass for a Wii game.

mai said:
Wagram said:

With this kind of attitude you sholdn't play sequels at all, especially Final Fantasy.

He didn't mean he will not play sequels, but just that sequels that add litle to the nothing shouldn't have a 10 in it's review, and I agree with him.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Khuutra said:
gamings_best said:
curl-6 said:

Galaxy 2's improvements and additions have a deeper impact on the core gameplay mechanics than GoW3's, which were largely presentational.

gameplay changes to GOW3 were as deep as SMG2

God of War 3 had s ignificant changes, particularly in innovations in magic and item management, but they did not change the gameplay as deeply as the changes in Super Mario Galaxy 2 have and I don't understand how you can argue otherwise.

because you played SMG2 right??? so you do know about the gameplay changes.......

I'll just say this,

if SMG franchise was on either of the HD consoles I highly doubt they would have received such critical acclaim........... especially the sequel.