By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Pakistan Bans Facebook And 'FarmVille' Access

aken909 said:
While I don't agree with censorship at all. I think a lot of people who post here and just condemn this action with out really thinking about it would find themselves equally offended if they had a draw Jesus with his head blown off day, or have Jesus eating feces day would find themselves equally offended and I can absolutely guarantee the religious groups would boycott and protest just the same. While it may not be a "nation" chances are more total people would boycott that action than the total number of people in Pakistan. People need to think about the things they do and say a lot more than they do.

If this happened I would ask why this person was offended by Christianity, and for the record aken, I think that a lot of criticism towards christians are fair game b/c the christians themselves haven't been perfect by any means.  I think that the Muslims have to realize that this was a protest kind of an event, in other words to show muslims that people are pissed off by some of the things that happen in the name of Islam and that if these things didn't keep happening that the kind of people who get involved with this would have more of a live and let live a ttitude.

Around the Network
SuperAdrianK said:
crytek said:
I am sorry but where is pakistan?

East of India, south from Afghanistan, and west of Iran. Is in the continent of Asia.

I hope you at least remember left from right

supercat said:
aken909 said:
While I don't agree with censorship at all. I think a lot of people who post here and just condemn this action with out really thinking about it would find themselves equally offended if they had a draw Jesus with his head blown off day, or have Jesus eating feces day would find themselves equally offended and I can absolutely guarantee the religious groups would boycott and protest just the same. While it may not be a "nation" chances are more total people would boycott that action than the total number of people in Pakistan. People need to think about the things they do and say a lot more than they do.

If this happened I would ask why this person was offended by Christianity, and for the record aken, I think that a lot of criticism towards christians are fair game b/c the christians themselves haven't been perfect by any means.

I'm not sure who "this person" is  in the context of your statement, I think you mean the offended party.   But what i have to say is maybe you wouldn't be offended (though it's highly possible thats just what you say in context and in the actual situation your reaction would be different than it is here).   But if your trying to say what I am saying isn't true I would ask if you remember the painting of Jesus made out of feces I believe it was for view at the MET in New York that had to be removed because of protests.  Basically what I am saying is it's easy to talk bad about what others (who are different) do with out realizing that ones own reactions would be much more similar than one may be willing to admit.

aken: Are you a muslim?

supercat said:
aken: Are you a muslim?

Do you feel you have the right to ask me that?  Because I don't feel I have any need to answer it. 

And no matter what my religion is or lack of.  It doesn't affect whats right wrong or hypocritical.

Around the Network

I do have the right to ask you that b/c anything demographically related will affect your viewpoint and that understanding the other person is the focus. I'm only asking because you seem to have the viewpoint that criticism of a religion by means of insulting it is necessarily a bad thing. If so, that's a view that a lot of muslims have, that by insulting a religion (even if the real message is anger towards its actions) you insult the people behind it. It's just a different take on the value of religion that's all. People from different groups have different ideas about the world.

Just an observation and if I'm incorrect I do apologize, but again, you are being evasive when I ask a simple question so I'm guessing that you're probably a muslim.  If so, the bottom line is that the west is going to keep acting the same way in response to terrorism as a means of punishment to free speech.  America, and Europe are both in agreement here and in my humble opinion the muslims would be more successful by learning how to deal with criticism because the west can be a very critical culture. 

supercat said:
I do have the right to ask you that b/c anything demographically related will affect your viewpoint and that understanding the other person is the focus. I'm only asking because you seem to have the viewpoint that criticism of a religion by means of insulting it is necessarily a bad thing. If so, that's a view that a lot of muslims have, that by insulting a religion (even if the real message is anger towards its actions) you insult the people behind it. It's just a different take on the value of religion that's all. People from different groups have different ideas about the world.

Just an observation and if I'm incorrect I do apologize, but again, you are being evasive when I ask a simple question so I'm guessing that you're probably a muslim.

Your not going to trick me into revealing anything about myself, and you only do yourself disjustice (and actually me as well) by assuming things.

And i'd like to point out that insulting something when being hypocritical is a bad thing.  

And in truth your asking because you want to be able to "rationalize" that my point of veiw is based on the fact that I am Muslim (and therefore less valid), which is wrong.

I can 100% assure you my feelings on this situation would be exactly the same no matter what religion or lack of that I am.

And all that I am saying is, don't say "those people are stupid for being offended"  when if the tables were turned you yourself would be offended.

Ok asken, I have been offended by the criticisms that have been leveled at christianity. There have been a lot of them from the gay/pink crowd, to people like pagans that i've known - who generally will not like christianity at all, to the more typical nonreligious white liberal crowd. But I agree with all of their criticisms and at the same time realize that when christianity stops acting like a jerk in some respects, that it won't get the criticism to nearly the same degree. So, in order to be consistent I think that I would have to look beyond the offense and ask whether the criticism is for a certain reason or not

As for you, just asking if you are a muslim is not a "trick" at all,i mean you have all the time in the world to either say yes or no, and you won't lose anything either way. In fact, I'd respect you much more for being up front with me but that's your call buddy.

crytek said:

and why are surprised? next country is Britainstan oh snap i meant Britain !! welcome to sharia lowmy dear friends.

Britain is like 2% Muslim. There is one Muslim in the cabinet, and she doesn't actually do anything; she's just there so the government can say "Look, we believe in racial equality and crap".

The BNP blows things ridiculously out of proportion. And then people blow the BNP ridiculously out of proportion. Well, I suppose they got a seat in the House of Commons. Oh, wait. Well, at least they didn't lose 12 local council seats in their strongest area. Oh, wait.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

supercat said:
Ok asken, I have been offended by the criticisms that have been leveled at christianity. There have been a lot of them from the gay/pink crowd, to people like pagans that i've known - who generally will not like christianity at all, to the more typical nonreligious white liberal crowd. But I agree with all of their criticisms and at the same time realize that when christianity stops acting like a jerk in some respects, that it won't get the criticism to nearly the same degree. So, in order to be consistent I think that I would have to look beyond the offense and ask whether the criticism is for a certain reason or not

As for you, just asking if you are a muslim is not a "trick" at all,i mean you have all the time in the world to either say yes or no, and you won't lose anything either way. In fact, I'd respect you much more for being up front with me but that's your call buddy.

No my friend, your strongly confused. You seem to think I am attacking Christianity, when the only thing I am attacking is hypocracy.  I used Jesus as an example because I know that is the thing most people here will relate too if we were in India perhaps I would have said Shiva or in China Buddah 

Your basically the only person to talk about religion (or even think that it matters in what I am saying) in this debate between the two of us.  

And if I won't lose anything either way, why ask?

I have assured you my religion or lack of doesn't have anything to do with what I have said or what I think is right or wrong.  

And if you don't belive that or can't accept that, it's not my problem.

I didn't post for respect.

I guess what I hoped to gain out of this was that people would think before they post.

And I opened my message clearly by stating I support Freedom of Speech.