By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Pakistan Bans Facebook And 'FarmVille' Access

You said that you support free speech. And do you support criticism when the means of which are clothed in an insult?

Around the Network
supercat said:
You said that you support free speech. And do you support criticism when the means of which are clothed in an insult?

Umm, I don't even know what your talking about in that post. I didn't insult anyone. 
But to try to answer that question which I'm not sure I understand, i'll just say I don't support insulting anything it's rarely constructive. 
Anyways, I recuse myself from this topic.  Or at least this part of the discussion, if it becomes interesting later on I can't promise I won't return to it.
At this point it's up to people who read it to decide how they feel, I have said all that I can say or wish to say.

Umm, I don't even know what your talking about in that post. I didn't insult anyone. 

But to try to answer that question which I'm not sure I understand, i'll just say I don't support insulting anything it's rarely constructive. That said I support the rights of people to say most anything even when I feel it's stupid.

Anyways, I recuse myself from this topic.  Or at least this part of the discussion, if it becomes interesting later on I can't promise I won't return to it.

At this point it's up to people who read it to decide how they feel, I have said all that I can say or wish to say.

Freedom of speech is something the west values very highly. Countries such as Pakistan have no concept of this and refuse to allow other to have an opinion that goes against their own.

Ignorance of freedom of speech is something that we (in developed nations) find difficult to accept. In countries such as Pakistan they don't have the same education system and political system. If you say something bad against the government you are at risk. This is yet another extreme way of dealing with something they refuse to accept.

FootballFan said:
Freedom of speech is something the west values very highly. Countries such as Pakistan have no concept of this and refuse to allow other to have an opinion that goes against their own.

Ignorance of freedom of speech is something that we (in developed nations) find difficult to accept. In countries such as Pakistan they don't have the same education system and political system. If you say something bad against the government you are at risk. This is yet another extreme way of dealing with something they refuse to accept.

It's more of an issue of middle eastern vs western cultural values imho.  In the middle east, you don't do anything to insult another religion.  In america you can insult whoever you like because everybody gets a shot in the grand scheme of things.  The west birthed the arts of philosophy and rhetoric, so it's no surprise that we feel like it is OK to express opinions.  And there are really only two ways to respond to being insulted, aren't there?  You can fight aggressively, or you can respond to the criticism and offer some insult or criticism of your own.  Hopefully muslims will be more world-savvy in the future, and choose the latter option because at this moment the world thinks that they are kind crazy.

supercat said:
FootballFan said:

It's more of an issue of middle eastern vs western cultural values imho.  In the middle east, you don't do anything to insult another religion.  In america you can insult whoever you like because everybody gets a shot in the grand scheme of things.  The west birthed the arts of philosophy and rhetoric, so it's no surprise that we feel like it is OK to express opinions.  And there are really only two ways to respond to being insulted, aren't there?  You can fight aggressively, or you can respond to the criticism and offer some insult or criticism of your own.  Hopefully muslims will be more world-savvy in the future, and choose the latter option because at this moment the world thinks that they are kind crazy.

Is it our right to change their culture though?

We wouldn't like it if they came to our countries and started imposing themselves and establishing their values and beliefs. Could you imagine if Sharia law was brought in? In England where this has been suggested has been mass opposition. Maybe we need to live our lives how we want and them live how they want. If they can't accept freedom of speech then maybe they Pakistan is a place well suited to their narrow minded ignorance.

Around the Network

The world is a market place of ideas and beleifs football fan, and just like politics the "right" of any situation is whatever viewpoint that wins out over time if you want a defnition of ethics that is world-based and utilitarian. And when people are killing others for a flippant attitude, even if towards a sacred beleif, then yes I also find it morally ethical to try to change a culture's beleifs. Less conflict happens that way.

supercat said:
The world is a market place of ideas and beleifs football fan, and just like politics the "right" of any situation is whatever viewpoint that wins out over time if you want a defnition of ethics that is world-based and utilitarian. And when people are killing others for a flippant attitude, even if towards a sacred beleif, then yes I also find it morally ethical to try to change a culture's beleifs. Less conflict happens that way.

Supercat I disagree with just about everything you just said.

Let me ask you this lets say you like regular milk and I like chocalate milk do you think we should fight to the death to decide which is better then the winner gets to decide which type of milk is the only milk people from that time forward should be able to drink?  And to what end?  Will we have a death match to decide everything in life untill every single person on earth is an automiton with the exact same views as "the leader".

That sounds a lot like Hitlers idea of the world to me.

And i'd like to add that humans will always fight and kill one another, even if there were no religion at all humans would still have wars.

This facebook page was a response to the death threat made on Trey Parker and Matt Stone for the South Park episode that had Mohammed in a bear suit. The episode that Comedy Central completely censored to make certain there was no image or reference to Mohammed, simply to appease these threats. A show that mocks ALL religions, yet there is only one religion that threatens to murder people over this.

People are tired of fear tactics and threats that Muslims are using to impress their cultural values on western media. The sad thing is, these corporations cave in to these threats, which only encourages and rewards the behavior.

I'm sorry if Muslims are offended, I really am. However, I am just as offended that a group of people would use death threats to attempt to suppress my rights and freedoms to match their core beliefs. Should I murder people to get my way?

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

aken909 said:
supercat said:

Let me ask you this lets say you like regular milk and I like chocalate milk do you think we should fight to the death to decide which is better then the winner gets to decide which type of milk is the only milk people from that time forward should be able to drink?  And to what end?  Will we have a death match to decide everything in life untill every single person on earth is an automiton with the exact same views as "the leader".

And i'd like to add that humans will always fight and kill one another, even if there were no religion at all humans would still have wars.

you are purposefully misinterpreting me and you keep doing this.  I think that it would be easy to realize that when I am talking about one opinion winning over another that the process would be with words not guns or knives.  Debating with you is highly annoying because of this.

supercat said:
aken909 said:
supercat said:

you are purposefully misinterpreting me and you keep doing this.  I think that it would be easy to realize that when I am talking about one opinion winning over another that the process would be with words not guns or knives.  Debating with you is highly annoying because of this.

No, i'm not. Would my position change if I had said we'll have a debate to decide which type of milk is better?  

Basically as I understand it (based on this statement: "then yes I also find it morally ethical to try to change a culture's beleifs. Less conflict happens that way.") your saying people should force other people to belive as they do in order to provide stability and what I am saying is it's wrong to try to force ones views on anyone else.  And on top of that history has shown that forcing ones views only causes the other side to entrench themselves in there own view even further thus causing more conflict.