By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Someone Tell Sony Fans Final Fantasy Isn't Their Series! (article)

Garnett said:
Hus said:
Sucks for FF fans.

They got used to best of the best quality, but now their games are being watered down.

There was FF games on Xbox 1? I dont remember?

FF was always on the WEAKEST system last gen, even on PS1. FF fans have getting the watered down experience all along.

What's ironic is that the only time an FF game was on the strongest system was when it was on the SNES.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

@Garnett

Go look at the recent trailers/videos for the game that say "Only on PS3 worldwide". Are you saying that "Only on PS3" doesn't mean Exclusive?

Ok your right, im thinking of FF14. My bad

Games4Fun said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Square isn't a second party, and final Fantasy didn't start on a sony platform, and has appeared on numerous platforms. Why Sony fans feel such entitlement to the series is beyond me.

I was unaware SONY fans even really thought this way in the first place.

same here

ssj12 said:
Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
johnsobas said:
ssj12 said:
Xoj said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Square isn't a second party, and final Fantasy didn't start on a sony platform, and has appeared on numerous platforms. Why Sony fans feel such entitlement to the series is beyond me.

series peaked in the playstation though. exclusivity helped the game get most out of the hardware.

Actually, SquareSoft basically was since Sony owned the highest percentage of stock in the company. Once Square merged with Enix, Sony lost majority rule.

no it wasn't even close, Sony has to own 50% to have majority rule.  Highest percentage doesn't equal majority rule.

it does when your vote persuaded others because you were the major player in the console market. Persuasion can be a major player in investor relations. You dont need to own 51% of a company if you can persuade 51% of investors to vote in your favor.

Last I heard... they didn't have a vote.  It was all non-voting stock.

Then maybe Sony the last two gens just had an insane amount of influence due to how many consoles they had on the market. Which prevented Square from deciding to release any FF game other than 11 on a Microsoft console till this gen.

That and the Xbox just wasn't nearly as popular as far as I know.  There was no reason to do it then.  Multiplatform games seem WAY up this generation.

Or it could of just been an agreement... afterall Sony pretty much only purchased the stock to save Square's ass long enough so they could merge with Enix. 

Afterall Sony didn't just buy Square stock... Square BEGGED Sony to buy Square stock.  They needed the money in a bad way.

Though at the same time as Square put it...

"We are not necessarily obligated to Sony, because of this deal," said Hisashi Suzuki, Square's president. "But we can gauge the situation in the future and offer software to the best selling hardware maker, and at this time there is no doubt that Sony is the best."

It's lucky Sony is getting any games at all... based on their past logic they should be making Wii games.

True, but Square now has Wada at the helm of their company.. and we know how he is running things. He understands the video game market about as well as Walamrt's CEO understands how to treat the lowest level employees... basically not at all.

Yeah... Wada... eh.

I don't know why the old man retired.  Enix knew how to make money... and best of all, he was hands off when it came to designers.  He just let them design... and got rewarded for it.  He knew when he had to push, but he knew when to give them free reign, since Enix was less a videogame company, and more just... a company that did all sorts of things involving intellectual property.  They were more "pure" publishers.

Garnett said:
lestatdark said:
Garnett said:
Hus said:
Sucks for FF fans.

They got used to best of the best quality, but now their games are being watered down.

FF was always on the WEAKEST system last gen, even on PS1. FF fans have getting the watered down experience all along.

The problem is that quality in FF was never in the graphical aspect. That only became a prerrogative for some of it's fans when the games went to the PS1.

I don't understand why some fans tout or want to tout FF games as graphical powerhouses, when the focus of FF games are pretty much everything else. That was one of the major blunders of FFXIII. They forgot that it was the substance that made FF what it is, not the surface.  

The in game cut-scenes i guess are supposed to be the selling point of FF games? back when 3D was new. The actual in game graphics were always meh.

Previous FFs always did cut-scenes using the ingame scenarios, without the need for fancy CGIs. Personally, I still hold the Opera scene in FFVI as being the best scene ever done in any FF game. Even if that scene was remade in ultra, mega, hyper, eye-bursting HD or anything of the sort, it won't have the same impact as the 16-bit scene has.

As I said, FF was always about content, story, gameplay and overall package, not graphics at all. I can't understand why some fans now want only just graphical prettyness over all the rest.  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
FantasySky said:
Games4Fun said:
The_vagabond7 said:

I was unaware SONY fans even really thought this way in the first place.

same here

in that case. sony fans should fell like that for every exclusive they lost. i know i don't fill that way.

Carl2291 said:

The difference is, the Gamecube got Resident Evil 4 LONG before the PS2. They released the GC version before even thinking about a PS2 version.

Versus XIII, just like FFXIII itself, will cause a delay of the FIRST version of the game. The PS3 version. Just so the inferior verson can be released alongside it.

@dtewi.

No reason for anger?

A 360 VERSION WILL MEAN PS3 FANS/OWNERS WILL HAVE TO WAIT EVEN LONGER FOR THE GAME. THE VERY SAME GAME THAT HAS BEEN CALLED EXCLUSIVE SINCE ANNOUNCED.

Jesus Christ. How hard can it be to understand? ¬_¬

If the game was announced as a multiplat from day 1, we would have none of these problems at all.

You still don't understand do you, no contract deal was in place and the market shifted in an unexpected way along with finances, SE most likely intended it to be exclusive but circumstances forced a change of direction and either way you're still getting the game, if Sony fans can whether a 3 year delay over GT5 then the minor delay of porting should be no poblem.

lestatdark said:
Garnett said:
lestatdark said:
Garnett said:
Hus said:
Sucks for FF fans.

The problem is that quality in FF was never in the graphical aspect. That only became a prerrogative for some of it's fans when the games went to the PS1.

I don't understand why some fans tout or want to tout FF games as graphical powerhouses, when the focus of FF games are pretty much everything else. That was one of the major blunders of FFXIII. They forgot that it was the substance that made FF what it is, not the surface.  

The in game cut-scenes i guess are supposed to be the selling point of FF games? back when 3D was new. The actual in game graphics were always meh.

Previous FFs always did cut-scenes using the ingame scenarios, without the need for fancy CGIs. Personally, I still hold the Opera scene in FFVI as being the best scene ever done in any FF game. Even if that scene was remade in ultra, mega, hyper, eye-bursting HD or anything of the sort, it won't have the same impact as the 16-bit scene has.

As I said, FF was always about content, story, gameplay and overall package, not graphics at all. I can't understand why some fans now want only just graphical prettyness over all the rest.  

This 100%

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Wyrdness said:
Carl2291 said:

The difference is, the Gamecube got Resident Evil 4 LONG before the PS2. They released the GC version before even thinking about a PS2 version.

Versus XIII, just like FFXIII itself, will cause a delay of the FIRST version of the game. The PS3 version. Just so the inferior verson can be released alongside it.

@dtewi.

No reason for anger?

A 360 VERSION WILL MEAN PS3 FANS/OWNERS WILL HAVE TO WAIT EVEN LONGER FOR THE GAME. THE VERY SAME GAME THAT HAS BEEN CALLED EXCLUSIVE SINCE ANNOUNCED.

Jesus Christ. How hard can it be to understand? ¬_¬

If the game was announced as a multiplat from day 1, we would have none of these problems at all.

You still don't understand do you, no contract deal was in place and the market shifted in an unexpected way along with finances, SE most likely intended it to be exclusive but circumstances forced a change of direction and either way you're still getting the game, if Sony fans can whether a 3 year delay over GT5 then the minor delay of porting should be no poblem.

Can you prove that there was no contract in place? I mean, i can prove that it has been planned as a PS3 exclusive since day 1.

And it's not about "just getting the game", it's about having to wait for the game even longer, just so a much smaller amount of people can play it at the same time. It's stupid. They need to pull there tongue from MS's ass for 5 minutes.

Should the 360 have the game? Sure. Why not? Final Fantasy XIII will eventually reach 2 Million on the 360...

Does the 360 have to get the game at the same time as the PS3? Thus delaying the PS3 release just so the 360 version has a chance? No.

Carl2291 said:

Can you prove that there was no contract in place? I mean, i can prove that it has been planned as a PS3 exclusive since day 1.

And it's not about "just getting the game", it's about having to wait for the game even longer, just so a much smaller amount of people can play it at the same time. It's stupid. They need to pull there tongue from MS's ass for 5 minutes.

Should the 360 have the game? Sure. Why not? Final Fantasy XIII will eventually reach 2 Million on the 360...

Does the 360 have to get the game at the same time as the PS3? Thus delaying the PS3 release just so the 360 version has a chance? No.

Proof is right in front of you as if the was a contract Sony would of sued SE for breach of contract, common sense can tell you that one if you can't deduct that alone then you have problems, we also have Sony's own comments at the beginning of the gen, remember when they said that "They don't pay for exclusives" as a jab at Microsoft. Who exactly are you to decide when a game comes out, a lot can happen after a game is released people can change their minds after seeing it or be put off by reviews, competition may be stronger down the line, people may just lose interest in it and so on, fact is you are not special just because you have a PS3 you're a simple consumer like everyone else and multiplatform games benefit more from being available to everyone at once otherwise one userbase may end up lacking an incentive to buy the game a year later as it becomes harder to market the game unless you throw in something extra, it's better to release it all at once under one marketing campaign.

Your logic at the end is also laughable because you're basically saying SE should give up more money just to keep you personally happy, delays happen all the time deal with it the are plenty of games to play until a delayed game arrives. Christ if any you lived in Europe you all would of probably hung yourselves by now, crying over petty delays.