By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Someone Tell Sony Fans Final Fantasy Isn't Their Series! (article)

jarrod said:
Jordahn said:
jarrod said:
R&C is definitely a massmarket game, the problem it that's it's targeted massmarket audience is mainly not on PS3 then gen...

I've always felt that the combination of stereotypical cute cartoony characters and some of the most violent non-explicit action is not a conventional combination.  Most people who love explosions probably could not get past the cartoony look while those who want a cartoony "safe" game probably find the violence "unsafe."  This is why I believe R&C is targeting a non-conventional userbase (i.e. not the masses).

Violent cartoons aren't massmarket?  What cave have you been living in the past 70 years?

HAHAHAHA!!! As an anime fan, I know where you're coming from.  Lots of violence there.  And, yes, there are violent western region cartoons as well.  But given the general western mentality, the initial outward appeal of R&C specificially seems to cater to the "kiddy" audience, but beneath it it goes way deeper than that.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
lestatdark said:
jarrod said:
KungKras said:

FF is even still there so no damage is done really, being a fanboy and hating SE for going multiplat is completely irrational.

This is what blows my mind.  When Nintendo was pushed from the leadership position, they lost the games entirely.  At least PS3 is still getting most of the legacy franchises in some fashion.

PS3 fans seemed to pour the hate more on losing exclusives (FFXIII, DMC4, etc) than they do on the few titles they actually lost entirely (MH3, DQIX/X, etc). :/

I don't know about Monster Hunter, but can Sony fans even consider Dragon Quest as being a Sony series at any given moment? I mean, only two games of the main series were ever released on Sony consoles. And that's just the main series, considering that no spinoff DQ game has ever been released outside a Nintendo console. 

If anyone did, that would be very dumb.  

Well, DQ always goes to the market leader... I wouldn't consider it a "Sony series" as such, but then I never considered FF one either.  There are other series/games you can substitute if you want, like Ace Combat 6 for example.

And PS systems have gotten a few DQ spinoffs before.  PS1 had Torneko 2 and DQM I+II, PS2 had Torneko 3, Itadaki Street Special and Shonen Yangus, PSP had Itadaki Street Portable.

My bad, I had thought that both DQM games and Torneko II and 3 had been released for the gameboy consoles only

I don't think that any console fan should consider any series, other than first party, to be their own particular consoles series, be it whatever series it is. I just addressed DQ because it's my favourite overall JRPG series that's all  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Hus said:
Sucks for FF fans.

They got used to best of the best quality, but now their games are being watered down.

There was FF games on Xbox 1? I dont remember?

FF was always on the WEAKEST system last gen, even on PS1. FF fans have getting the watered down experience all along.

Garnett said:
Hus said:
Sucks for FF fans.

They got used to best of the best quality, but now their games are being watered down.

FF was always on the WEAKEST system last gen, even on PS1. FF fans have getting the watered down experience all along.

The amount of truth in this statement has left me speechless.

Garnett said:
Hus said:
Sucks for FF fans.

The problem is that quality in FF was never in the graphical aspect. That only became a prerrogative for some of it's fans when the games went to the PS1.

I don't understand why some fans tout or want to tout FF games as graphical powerhouses, when the focus of FF games are pretty much everything else. That was one of the major blunders of FFXIII. They forgot that it was the substance that made FF what it is, not the surface.  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Garnett said:
Hus said:
Sucks for FF fans.

The problem is that quality in FF was never in the graphical aspect. That only became a prerrogative for some of it's fans when the games went to the PS1.

I don't understand why some fans tout or want to tout FF games as graphical powerhouses, when the focus of FF games are pretty much everything else. That was one of the major blunders of FFXIII. They forgot that it was the substance that made FF what it is, not the surface.  

The in game cut-scenes i guess are supposed to be the selling point of FF games? back when 3D was new. The actual in game graphics were always meh.

I really don't think the majority of Sony fans, being "old" gamers from previous generations, consider FF to be a "Sony franchise", when they (we) know very well and played quite a lot of FF back in the NES/SNES days. If anything new gamers from this generation may grow up to think games like Grand Theft Auto and COD are somewhat part of Microsoft or something. I really couldn't tell. I just know one fact : since 1997, the PlayStation brand is most associated with Final Fantasy for obvious reasons, most games, and most Final Fantasy sales.

Let me reiterate my thoughts for the THIRD time.

There's no reason to be pissed.

There's no constructive, rational reason for anger from Sony fans.

Stop adhering to your console, it's about software, not hardware.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

This was the first Final Fantasy ever released to not be a console exclusive, sure there have been PC versions but most console gamers consider PC games a separate entity. Can I blame Square Enix for bringing it to Xbox, no Microsoft took a nice loss getting this game multi-platform and unless they are will to do so again why not stay on the PS3.

Wyrdness said:
Carl2291 said:
Wyrdness said:
Carl2291 said:

My point was that those franchises had been PlayStation games for 2 full generations. For over 10 years.

Then all of a sudden... Nothing.

the fans WILL be pissed.

Why should they be pissed though they're still getting the games, N64 owners were just slapped straight in the face with nothing, no DQ, no FF, no SO just nothing not even a port. The reactions online are like SE have just walked up on the stage and told PS owners "F**k you, your mothers stink and we'll be creating games for 360 only starting with a FFVII remake, nenenenene", they're still getting the game and I have no doubt FFXIII would of turned out no different either if it was exclusive.

In the case of Versus, because it has been called exclusive since day 1. People want the game as soon as possible. Not having to wait for some stupid port. Don't lie to us. If it's going to be a multiplat just come out and say it.

In the case of the other games, i wouldn't know. I don't even care for any of them so... You would have to ask a fan who's been pissed off because of those leaving the PS.

Problem here is after Resident Evil 4 people should know that no contract deal can mean a change of plans later although PS fans weren't complaining back then, when SE started both FFXII and Versus it was before the new gen had began (Kitase and the team note both games began just after FFXII finished and eventually became PS3 games after initially being intended for PS2) and before the financial aspects of HD development were fully realized by all companies and it was also the time when everyone thought the PS3 would outsell the competition 3-1 combined. In this instance I think it's more a case that SE originally planned to keep them PS exclusive but the shift in market leaving PS3 in third and the financial battle of HD development has forced them to abandon earlier stances that were made on market assumptions that caught everyone out.

The difference is, the Gamecube got Resident Evil 4 LONG before the PS2. They released the GC version before even thinking about a PS2 version.

Versus XIII, just like FFXIII itself, will cause a delay of the FIRST version of the game. The PS3 version. Just so the inferior verson can be released alongside it.

@dtewi.

No reason for anger?

A 360 VERSION WILL MEAN PS3 FANS/OWNERS WILL HAVE TO WAIT EVEN LONGER FOR THE GAME. THE VERY SAME GAME THAT HAS BEEN CALLED EXCLUSIVE SINCE ANNOUNCED.

Jesus Christ. How hard can it be to understand? ¬_¬

If the game was announced as a multiplat from day 1, we would have none of these problems at all.