By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Someone Tell Sony Fans Final Fantasy Isn't Their Series! (article)

Jordahn said:
KungKras said:
Jordahn said:
andremop said:

Sony Playstation was formed on third party games, unlike any other console. That's why their fans are so possessive. They lost some of their bigger games of previous gens.

"Losing" Final Fantasy and Metal Gear is like Nintendo losing Zelda or Metroid. So I kinda understand. But they have only Sony to blame.

Oh, is that why SONY now arguably has the best and most diverse 1st/2nd party lineup this generation?  Maybe we can blame SONY for working so hard since 3rd party exclusivity isn't guaranteed.

This gen, Sony finally learned that the defining games for Playstation aren't guaranteed so they have to make thier own. And this gen, they did an OK job. After 3 generations, they finally have decent first party. I'm not overly impressed, but congratulations to them I guess.

At the very least, SONY had pumped so much money in their new and older IP's.  Those funds could have easily locked up "traditional playstation" franchises such as Ace Combat, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, etc...  And many of SONY IP's do not have a mass appeal which really leads me to believe that it's just not about the almighty dollar, but it's catering to gamers.  But if you have kept up with SONY's 1st/2nd party efforts, you'll know that there are still several successful SONY franchises from past gens that hey haven't released, yet.  Like their games or not, SONY is building.  It shows since they are progessively the best 3rd place console maker of any gen and getting getter.

BWAAAA HA HAAAAA HA HA!!!

Oh, thank you for that.

Around the Network

Actually that's not accurate d21lewis. The only truly exclusive FF games were 9, 10, and 12 - FF7 was on PC, FF8 was on PC, FF11 was on 360 and PC as well. Heck, FF14 will also be on PC, and as soon as SE solves their issues with MS regarding Live and subscriptions, will be on 360 as well.

MGS was also on PC, MGS2 was on PC and Xbox, only MGS3 and 4 were truly exclusive. Tomb Raider was always on PC and other consoles (including Dreamcast).

I think this thread nails it completely. Although Sony have always had first party releases, the PlayStation brand was built on the strength of 3rd parties, with stuff like FF, PES, EA Sports (which, remember, weren't on DC, for example), MGS, etc. But that only works if you either A) invest money, or B) dominate the market - Sony stopped doing the former, and lost the latter.

The Sony fans shouldn't be pissed at anyone else BUT Sony, because it's Sony that played arrogant and blew a huge market share, and decided to invest in 1st party and neglect 3rd party support.

Ok OP!

FINAL FANTASY IS NOT YOUR SERIES!

Is this alright?

d21lewis said:
Jordahn said:
KungKras said:
Jordahn said:
andremop said:

Sony Playstation was formed on third party games, unlike any other console. That's why their fans are so possessive. They lost some of their bigger games of previous gens.

"Losing" Final Fantasy and Metal Gear is like Nintendo losing Zelda or Metroid. So I kinda understand. But they have only Sony to blame.

Oh, is that why SONY now arguably has the best and most diverse 1st/2nd party lineup this generation?  Maybe we can blame SONY for working so hard since 3rd party exclusivity isn't guaranteed.

This gen, Sony finally learned that the defining games for Playstation aren't guaranteed so they have to make thier own. And this gen, they did an OK job. After 3 generations, they finally have decent first party. I'm not overly impressed, but congratulations to them I guess.

At the very least, SONY had pumped so much money in their new and older IP's.  Those funds could have easily locked up "traditional playstation" franchises such as Ace Combat, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, etc...  And many of SONY IP's do not have a mass appeal which really leads me to believe that it's just not about the almighty dollar, but it's catering to gamers.  But if you have kept up with SONY's 1st/2nd party efforts, you'll know that there are still several successful SONY franchises from past gens that hey haven't released, yet.  Like their games or not, SONY is building.  It shows since they are progessively the best 3rd place console maker of any gen and getting getter.

BWAAAA HA HAAAAA HA HA!!!

Oh, thank you for that.

Games such as MAG, Siren, Folklore, Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, and even Ratchet & Clank were not intended for mass appeal.  These games targeted specific audiences, thus limiting their mass appeal.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

R&C is definitely a massmarket game, the problem it that's it's targeted massmarket audience is mainly not on PS3 then gen...

Around the Network
jarrod said:
R&C is definitely a massmarket game, the problem it that's it's targeted massmarket audience is mainly not on PS3 then gen...

I've always felt that the combination of stereotypical cute cartoony characters and some of the most violent non-explicit action is not a conventional combination.  Most people who love explosions probably could not get past the cartoony look while those who want a cartoony "safe" game probably find the violence "unsafe."  This is why I believe R&C is targeting a non-conventional userbase (i.e. not the masses).

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

jarrod said:
KungKras said:

FF is even still there so no damage is done really, being a fanboy and hating SE for going multiplat is completely irrational.

This is what blows my mind.  When Nintendo was pushed from the leadership position, they lost the games entirely.  At least PS3 is still getting most of the legacy franchises in some fashion.

PS3 fans seemed to pour the hate more on losing exclusives (FFXIII, DMC4, etc) than they do on the few titles they actually lost entirely (MH3, DQIX/X, etc). :/

I don't know about Monster Hunter, but can Sony fans even consider Dragon Quest as being a Sony series at any given moment? I mean, only two games of the main series were ever released on Sony consoles. And that's just the main series, considering that no spinoff DQ game has ever been released outside a Nintendo console. 

If anyone did, that would be very dumb.  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Jordahn said:
jarrod said:

I've always felt that the combination of stereotypical cute cartoony characters and some of the most violent non-explicit action is not a conventional combination.  Most people who love explosions probably could not get past the cartoony look while those who want a cartoony "safe" game probably find the violence "unsafe."  This is why I believe R&C is targeting a non-conventional userbase (i.e. not the masses).

Violent cartoons aren't massmarket?  What cave have you been living in the past 70 years?

lestatdark said:
jarrod said:
KungKras said:

FF is even still there so no damage is done really, being a fanboy and hating SE for going multiplat is completely irrational.

This is what blows my mind.  When Nintendo was pushed from the leadership position, they lost the games entirely.  At least PS3 is still getting most of the legacy franchises in some fashion.

PS3 fans seemed to pour the hate more on losing exclusives (FFXIII, DMC4, etc) than they do on the few titles they actually lost entirely (MH3, DQIX/X, etc). :/

I don't know about Monster Hunter, but can Sony fans even consider Dragon Quest as being a Sony series at any given moment? I mean, only two games of the main series were ever released on Sony consoles. And that's just the main series, considering that no spinoff DQ game has ever been released outside a Nintendo console. 

If anyone did, that would be very dumb.  

Well, DQ always goes to the market leader... I wouldn't consider it a "Sony series" as such, but then I never considered FF one either.  There are other series/games you can substitute if you want, like Ace Combat 6 for example.

And PS systems have gotten a few DQ spinoffs before.  PS1 had Torneko 2 and DQM I+II, PS2 had Torneko 3, Itadaki Street Special and Shonen Yangus, PSP had Itadaki Street Portable.

if it goes multi plat il be let down as SE promised, considering ff14 isn't an exclusive as it's on pc looks like SE won't be making exclusives anymore. its their franchise and they need to get money, only thing i want from them is to say it's multi from the begining .

Being in 3rd place never felt so good