By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Someone Tell Sony Fans Final Fantasy Isn't Their Series! (article)

tehsage said:
Meh~ I don't really care.

Nintendo got the two best games Square ever made~ You guys can have Square now~ We already have Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger :)

Nintendo got some of the best games Square and Enix ever made, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger from Square side and Dragon Quest V and Terranigma from Enix side

OT - Final Fantasy belongs to no one other than it's creators. Fans who enjoy the series, play the games in whatever console they are. FF being in two consoles only mean more people are able to play it. It doesn't void Sony fans to play the games on PS3, so in the end, all of this are just petty discussions. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
I don't see people being pissed off because it isn't just a PS3 exclusive.

I see people pissed off because games that were promised as PS3 exclusives, are no longer being exclusive.

That, and the 360 ports making PS3 owners have to wait EVEN LONGER for the damn game.

Pretty much what I think.

andremop said:

Sony Playstation was formed on third party games, unlike any other console. That's why their fans are so possessive. They lost some of their bigger games of previous gens.

"Losing" Final Fantasy and Metal Gear is like Nintendo losing Zelda or Metroid. So I kinda understand. But they have only Sony to blame.

Oh, is that why SONY now arguably has the best and most diverse 1st/2nd party lineup this generation?  Maybe we can blame SONY for working so hard since 3rd party exclusivity isn't guaranteed.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

andremop said:

Sony Playstation was formed on third party games, unlike any other console. That's why their fans are so possessive. They lost some of their bigger games of previous gens.

"Losing" Final Fantasy and Metal Gear is like Nintendo losing Zelda or Metroid. So I kinda understand. But they have only Sony to blame.

This!

Third parties built Playstation, not Sony. This is what happens when a console gets all its heavy hitters from third parties. It suffers the risk of losing them. FF is even still there so no damage is done really, being a fanboy and hating SE for going multiplat is completely irrational.

I LOVE ICELAND!

tehsage said:
Meh~ I don't really care.

Nintendo got the two best games Square ever made~ You guys can have Square now~ We already have Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger :)

Personally I'd say FFIV and CT, but I see where you are coming from.

Around the Network
Jordahn said:
andremop said:

Oh, is that why SONY now arguably has the best and most diverse 1st/2nd party lineup this generation?  Maybe we can blame SONY for working so hard since 3rd party exclusivity isn't guaranteed.

This gen, Sony finally learned that the defining games for Playstation aren't guaranteed so they have to make thier own. And this gen, they did an OK job. After 3 generations, they finally have decent first party. I'm not overly impressed, but congratulations to them I guess.

I LOVE ICELAND!

morenoingrato said:
it's not theirs, it was ours, Nintendo series, they shamelessly stole them

That was because Nintendo refused to to switch to the disc drive. Nintendo dropped the ball and Sony ran with it, the only difference here is that Sony has never dropped the ball they invested in the company when they were struggling and have gave them full support. But Microsoft money has a way of changing some peoples minds. So whether or not the game was originally Nintendo's or not does not matter the issue is that the game was promised as a PS3 exclusive. Exclusive would in fact make the game Sony's and theirs only to enjoy thus either don't make exclusivity promises or leave the game only on PS3 and see how the sales compare you can always port it later. 

KungKras said:

FF is even still there so no damage is done really, being a fanboy and hating SE for going multiplat is completely irrational.

This is what blows my mind.  When Nintendo was pushed from the leadership position, they lost the games entirely.  At least PS3 is still getting most of the legacy franchises in some fashion.

PS3 fans seemed to pour the hate more on losing exclusives (FFXIII, DMC4, etc) than they do on the few titles they actually lost entirely (MH3, DQIX/X, etc). :/

Seriously (I only read the OP). Final Fantasy has appeared on the PC, Nes, Super Nes, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Wonderswan (I didn't know this until I read the OP), Gamecube, PS1, PS2, PSP, and PS3. Just because FF7-FFXII were exclusive, it's like they own the damned thing.

Metal Gear was on multiple systems before the Playstation.
Tomb Raider was on the Sega Saturn before the Playstation.
Namco has been making games for platforms before the Playstation.

Stop it.

KungKras said:
Jordahn said:
andremop said:

This gen, Sony finally learned that the defining games for Playstation aren't guaranteed so they have to make thier own. And this gen, they did an OK job. After 3 generations, they finally have decent first party. I'm not overly impressed, but congratulations to them I guess.

At the very least, SONY had pumped so much money in their new and older IP's.  Those funds could have easily locked up "traditional playstation" franchises such as Ace Combat, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, etc...  And many of SONY IP's do not have a mass appeal which really leads me to believe that it's just not about the almighty dollar, but it's catering to gamers.  But if you have kept up with SONY's 1st/2nd party efforts, you'll know that there are still several successful SONY franchises from past gens that hey haven't released, yet.  Like their games or not, SONY is building.  It shows since they are progessively the best 3rd place console maker of any gen and getting getter.