By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware: Old Republic Interview and Final Fantasy XIII not a RPG?

i love those join the army commercials.... sorry wrpgs

Around the Network

I was just saying that because Bioware acts like all their stories are deep or script driven when all they really do is play on cliches that are already in the market and a game will never depict real life, why? Oh yeah, the programmers have already written the code that will progress the game its not like the code hasn't figured which ending you will get (by the finale). So by making the preset choices you get a ending by those choices. Not saying this is not RPG like but come on now - do you believe that their RPGs should be considered RPGs because they can choose from predetermined choices its not like I can tell the game "I dont care so can I skip this part?" or maybe just break down a door or instead of finding a key blast at the door or call a mechanic to get it out of my way while I grab a virtual coffee and listen to music.

So whether teenagers or adults are saving the world if it is a JRPG then I will respect as a RPG and if it is a WRPG I will respect it as a RPG. Everything is subjective and I could care less but to bash games like this is not professional and its not like genres are not borrowing or learning from each other.

I am no good at grammar =) 

DAMN IT! This EP is such a good idea 

I can not listen to anyone who made a piece of crap out of what should of easily been a awesome RPG

Khuutra ended this thread long ago. People need to stop being so butthurt and start looking at things objectively.

Darc Requiem said:
Khuutra ended this thread long ago. People need to start being so butthurt and start looking at things objectively.

You are on the wrong forum for objectivity.  Didn't you see the sign at the door?  This is the land of the Sacred Cow.  JRPG is one of those cows.  Some here would raise a bigger stink about some minor terminalogy argument than they would about someone stealing their car and running their grandmother with it.

I give that post a 9.4.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

The only reason I can think of for people to bring sales into the discussion is because they can't make a good counterargument and just want to dance around the issue. Can't say I'm surprised though, it happens a lot around here.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

thedaftman said:
I was just saying that because Bioware acts like all their stories are deep or script driven when all they really do is play on cliches that are already in the market and a game will never depict real life, why? Oh yeah, the programmers have already written the code that will progress the game its not like the code hasn't figured which ending you will get (by the finale). So by making the preset choices you get a ending by those choices. Not saying this is not RPG like but come on now - do you believe that their RPGs should be considered RPGs because they can choose from predetermined choices its not like I can tell the game "I dont care so can I skip this part?" or maybe just break down a door or instead of finding a key blast at the door or call a mechanic to get it out of my way while I grab a virtual coffee and listen to music.

So whether teenagers or adults are saving the world if it is a JRPG then I will respect as a RPG and if it is a WRPG I will respect it as a RPG. Everything is subjective and I could care less but to bash games like this is not professional and its not like genres are not borrowing or learning from each other.

but he didn't bash anything he pointed out that he doesn't consider JRPGs like FF VIII to be real RPGs he said nothing about the qaulity of the games. I don't know why people are acting like he did. And as for the ability to do whatever you want I think you may like sleep is death just get a friend of two and you can do whatever you want. 

oh and since when was the ultimate goal of games to perfectly simulate real life? I mean to do that it would have to be the matrix but without the superpowers it would be totally boring, I play games to get away from real life.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Profcrab said:
Darc Requiem said:
Khuutra ended this thread long ago. People need to stop being so butthurt and start looking at things objectively.

You are on the wrong forum for objectivity.  Didn't you see the sign at the door.  This is the land of the Sacred Cow.  JRPG is one of those cows.  Some here would raise a bigger stink about some minor terminalogy argument than they would about someone stealing their car and running their grandmother with it.

I give that post a 9.4.

Oh I know I am. It's why I post here less and less everyday. Each thread has about a half dozen posters trying to have a legitimate discussion. Unfortunately they get over run by two dozen fanboys.

@themanwithnoname

yeah, that pretty much somes up the situation.

JRPGs have always been more like interactive novels that actual rpgs. It is why a well written and designed JRPG is such a great experience. My favorite game in the Final Fantasy series is FFIV and it's linear as hell and gives you no control over the story's direction. However the story and characters are so well done, it's an asset to the game. My least favorite of the original Phantasy Star series is PS3. It gives you the most choice and control of the story out of the original four games but the story and character development suffer greatly because of it. Your ability to change the games direction actually weakened the game overall. PS3 is more of an RPG than FFIV but FFIV is the far better game.

@Zarx "in a real life RPG"

thats what you she said (in this case you), but honestly I did not come here to argue just post my opinion and my opinion is that JRPGs are RPG.

I am no good at grammar =) 

DAMN IT! This EP is such a good idea 

How to define RPG's is really a pain, but to me, RPG's are about strictly role playing.

The character progression through experience is not an RPG element in itself, but a means to achieve character progression. Other means could be getting stronger items the more you play or getting stronger spells and so-on so-on.

I would define most JRPG games as adventure games with RPG influences, kinda like how Zelda and Monster Hunter games are action games with RPG influences. Since you get to make your own character and do what you want in MH games, I'd say they are more RPGish than Final Fantasy games.

A pure RPG would be the good old pen and paper, or games like Fallout and Oblivion where you really get to do the actual role-playing that defines the genre.

To me, The Sims is a much more pure RPG than JRPGs and most WRPGs. It certainly has better role playing aspects than say Final Fantasy VII. Think about it, your characters progress as you control their lives, they buy things, they age, they get kids and so-on.

I LOVE ICELAND!