By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware: Old Republic Interview and Final Fantasy XIII not a RPG?

Wagram said:
jesus kung fu magic said:
huaxiong90 said:
So I guess inFamous is an RPG then, right?

I think he's just upset FFXIII beat ME2 in sales.

Yet ME2 is regarded easily as the better rpg.....I dont think anyone thought that FF13 would lose to ME2 in sales....

I think 13 is the better RPG. But my opinion doesn't matter in this situation.

From a business standpoint sales are what count. Not how many good reviews you get.

Do you seriously expect an new ip to compete sales wise with an almost 2 decade old ip? And besides , your opinion might be that but you are in the minority.

And why the hell do sales even matter in this situation? The guy was talking about what constitutes an rpg and had you and huax read what he said then you would see that he is absolutely right.

JRPG's are called non-rpg's and the best arguement the both of you can come up with is sales....pathetic.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network
Wagram said:
huaxiong90 said:

Yet ME2 is regarded easily as the better rpg.....I dont think anyone thought that FF13 would lose to ME2 in sales....

From a business standpoint sales are what count. Not how many good reviews you get.

Do you seriously expect an new ip to compete sales wise with an almost 2 decade old ip? And besides , your opinion might be that but you are in the minority.

And why the hell do sales even matter in this situation? The guy was talking about what constitutes an rpg and had you and huax read what he said then you would see that he is absolutely right.

JRPG's are called non-rpg's and the best arguement the both of you can come up with is sales....pathetic.

Learn to read.

I've been over this a million times. Genre names are not descriptives. JRPG does not mean a game was made it Japan, or that it is an RPG. JRPG is a name we use to call a genre. The only reason it has a name, is so we can easily reference it in conversation. A JRPG can be made in America, and a WRPG can be made in Japan. Games are games, and the words we use to define their genre, is not necessarily descriptive of its contents.

As far as defining what a "Role Playing Game" is, you can consult google dictionary.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Wagram said:
Wagram said:
huaxiong90 said:

Learn to read.

Learn to comprehend.....the guy in no way is talking about sales......but please keep bringing irrelevent info.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

It does matter from a buisness point of view, if your games/sequels get bad reviews and suck, less people will buy it(yes cpt. obvious strikes again).

edit: this does not count for every game!

Around the Network
Wagram said:
Wagram said:
huaxiong90 said:

Learn to read.

Learn to comprehend.....the guy in no way is talking about sales......but please keep bringing irrelevent info.

What the hell are you talking about?

I was responding to YOUR post. Jesus christ. Maybe you should learn to take your own damn advice.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
I've been over this a million times. Genre names are not descriptives. JRPG does not mean a game was made it Japan, or that it is an RPG. JRPG is a name we use to call a genre. The only reason it has a name, is so we can easily reference it in conversation. A JRPG can be made in America, and a WRPG can be made in Japan. Games are games, and the words we use to define their genre, is not necessarily descriptive of its contents.

As far as defining what a "Role Playing Game" is, you can consult google dictionary.

so true lol I agree with this statement.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Seeing people get all riled up over this makes me laugh.

Most JRPGs are not RPGs. I don't see why people get insulted over this. Does it make them bad games because the someone disagrees about its category? Grow up, people. If you all of a sudden accepted that the name was not right for the genre would you go back and burn all of your old JRPG games because all of your previous experiences were now tainted?

Lets face it, the only element of an RPG that JRPGs have is the listing of stats for characters and the ability to swap gear. Outside of that they are mostly linear, closed story, games. For most of them there is little player choice in the story so the control you have in the game is purely tactical. So, they are more like strategy games than anything else. So, is that bad? I used to be a big fan of those games, but I didn't stop playing them because one day I realized they weren't RPGs. I just grew out of the play style. Like other adventure or strategy games, if you implement the right strategy you unlock another segment of the story. Obviously there is a fair amount of people that do enjoy that sort of game.

I give this thread a 9.3.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

1. Reply Kindly to this article
2. Insult the article and Bioware
3. Nothing good or bad can happen from picking this option

Yeah Bioware your games are so deep.....psh......all their games play the same but I respect them and I like them but I consider FF, TWEWY,RoF, Fire Emblem, ES, Star Ocean, etc. all RPGS.

I am no good at grammar =) 

DAMN IT! This EP is such a good idea 

thedaftman said:
1. Reply Kindly to this article
2. Insult the article and Bioware
3. Nothing good or bad can happen from picking this option

Yeah Bioware your games are so deep.....psh......all their games play the same but I respect them and I like them but I consider FF, TWEWY,RoF, Fire Emblem, ES, Star Ocean, etc. all RPGS.

since when did being an RPG = Deap? being an RPG is not some measure of quality, it is a type of game. In a traditional sense a game (digital or not) where the player controls the behavior of a character. in a real life RPG you could be given a character like Barnie for example and then you would behave like you think Barnie would behave given the situation, you could for example decide that the death of a kid sent Barnie on a murderous rampage or into a dark spiral of depression and alcoholism, The key being that you decide. 

Traditionally western developers made computer RPGs where you got to decide how your character moves through the world and your choices would decide what you character does and how he/she/it acts. For example in Fallout you are given a quest to find a source of water, now how you went about finding it was completely up to the player there is no set path that you must take. This is where the Bioware guy is coming from and from that point of view most JRPGs do not fit the description as you must follow a set path, you have little to no choice in how you progress in the game. Now there are some exceptions of course. The trouble with this definition is that many games that people don't consider RPGs match it more than a lot of games that people do consider RPGs, GTA for example does give you some freedom over what and how you do things, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. also allows you to control how your character acts and how you move through the world with multiple endings, different factions that you can choose to join etc.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!