By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware: Old Republic Interview and Final Fantasy XIII not a RPG?

zgamer5 said:
making choices and creating a character isnt the basis of an rpg, the basis is leveling up and have some perks and diffrent kinds of weapons and items. no offense to bioware they are a great company but they cant compare themselves to SE and japanese developers in making rpgs, yes dragon age origins is my favorite rpg but still, they cant insult jrpg makers.

So by your logic COD:MW2 and BF: BC2 are RPGs.

Around the Network

When rappers need attention and want to boost their sales, they instigate a "rap beef". Is this the video game equivalent of Biggie vs. Tupac? If so: Westside motherfucker!!

*throws the "W" up*

Its not a controversial statement that WRPGs in general have more roleplaying elements then most JRPGs and that they're more in line with the traditional pen and paper RPGs of yesteryear.

That doesn't discount that JRPGs are RPGs either. They just are lighter on the role-playing.

I AGREE 110%! Call them whatever the fuck you want, but I'm not sure how they are Role Playing Games...the genre was entrenched by D&D and the like...you create your own universe and make your own choices...not follow some linear path...that's an adventure game. In the shot at Bioware, they need to have more open world environment than they do as well.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Alan Wake is going to be one of the best RPGs this year...as will be God of War III...since you role play in both...lol.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
There's two perspectives here... well, three. One of them is the one we currently hold.

1. "RPG" in video games as a genre is defined by being derived from the play mechanics of tabletop strategy games (which are also the roots of D&D). The genre here is mechanical, as genres in video games must be. They are not role-playing games in the Dungeons and Dragons sense because you can't make our own story or interact with the "dungeon master", and the fact that some of them try to approximate this experience doesn't change the fact that they invariably fall short. That said, "RPG" is still a valid genre label because it means somehting different in this context than it does in tabletop gaming.

2. "RPG" in video games are defined by taking on the role and making choices for your character, being able to define your own personality and act according to your whims. In this case he is right, JRPGs are not RPGs in this sense - most of th time. But WRPGs often aren't, either. Persona 4 is very much an RPG, as is something like Fallout, but KotOR and Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest don't qualify.

3. "RPG" in video games is determined by the act of takking a role in a game and making choices and progressing within that role - sort of an absolutely ltieral interpretation of the term "role playing game" rather than a genre moniker. Harvest Moon, Gears of War, Mother - lots and lots and lots of video games qualify under this. Almsot everything does. Tetris doesn't.

He's operating according to the second definition, here. There's nont anything wrong with that except where you could probably accuse him of hypocrisy

what is this KotOR of which you speak? at first I thought you were talking about Knights of the old republic but that doesn't make sense because you use it as an example of a game that doesn't allow the player to make character choices and define their personality at a whim. Knights of the old republic did allow you to do all those things, you got to chose you characters gender, appearance, personality (light side/ dark side etc), what characters join your party, what combat style you use (force user, light sabers or even a blaster user). 

OT: I kinda agree with him most JRPGs don't really fit in some definitions of an RPG (doesn't stop them being good games) and most of the definitions that they do fit would fit almost any modern game TBH.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I think I'm going to make a ham and cheese sandwich and start calling it Sushi...

Wagram said:
Already posted. and they're just mad that they get crap sales compared to FF13.

The thread has ended. Good night people, drive safely.

huaxiong90 said:
So I guess inFamous is an RPG then, right?

I think he's just upset FFXIII beat ME2 in sales.

Yet ME2 is regarded easily as the better rpg.....I dont think anyone thought that FF13 would lose to ME2 in sales....

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

jesus kung fu magic said:
huaxiong90 said:
So I guess inFamous is an RPG then, right?

I think he's just upset FFXIII beat ME2 in sales.

Yet ME2 is regarded easily as the better rpg.....I dont think anyone thought that FF13 would lose to ME2 in sales....

I think 13 is the better RPG. But my opinion doesn't matter in this situation.

From a business standpoint sales are what count. Not how many good reviews you get.