By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware: Old Republic Interview and Final Fantasy XIII not a RPG?

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/starwarstheoldrepublic/interview.html

One particularly controversal quote.

Daniel Erickson: Well, before I address the main point I just want to take a slightly more controversial route: You can put a 'J' in front of it, but it's not an RPG. You don't make any choices, you don't create a character, you don't live your character... I don't know what those are - adventure games maybe? But they're not RPG's.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

He's not saying FFXIII isnt. He's saying JRPG's aren't... Full stop.

Carl2291 said:

lol, yeah pretty much

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

making choices and creating a character isnt the basis of an rpg, the basis is leveling up and have some perks and diffrent kinds of weapons and items. no offense to bioware they are a great company but they cant compare themselves to SE and japanese developers in making rpgs, yes dragon age origins is my favorite rpg but still, they cant insult jrpg makers.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

honestly to a degree I do agree with him on the whole JRPG's being listed as an RPG. Most of them honestly aren't in the strictest terms, and fit MUCH more into the adventure genre or I guess maybe even its own "storytelling" genre. I've often wondered why they have been labeled as RPG's for so long when your not actually Role Playing. Your playing someone else's story not your own.

Around the Network

Bioware can just stfu. As long as I take control of the leading character's role or group of characters role in a story I think I can consider it a Role Playing Game.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Thems fighting words.

PSN ID: KingFate_

ssj12 said:
Bioware can just stfu. As long as I take control of the leading character's role or group of characters role in a story I think I can consider it a Role Playing Game.

Gears of War?

Call of Duty?

Legend of Zelda: The Four Swords?

zgamer5 said:
making choices and creating a character isnt the basis of an rpg, the basis is leveling up and have some perks and diffrent kinds of weapons and items. no offense to bioware they are a great company but they cant compare themselves to SE and japanese developers in making rpgs, yes dragon age origins is my favorite rpg but still, they cant insult jrpg makers.

The video game usage of the word "RPG" is somewhat erroneous - going back to its roots, he's actually right.

Carl2291 said:

Well, it was in reference to FF13, but I guess his criticisms apply to a lot of JRPGs.

I'll just echo what I said in the thread I created: "I'd be inclined to agree that the JRPG model seems more like an action/adventure kind of model actually, but I haven't played a lot of JRPGs, including FF13, so..."

Though I might be venturing into dangerous territory here