By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware: Old Republic Interview and Final Fantasy XIII not a RPG?

ssj12 said:
Bioware can just stfu. As long as I take control of the leading character's role or group of characters role in a story I think I can consider it a Role Playing Game.

Except its not Bioware.  Its one employee giving his opinion.  Bioware is a company made of dozens of employee's, so the title of this thread is inflammatory.

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
ssj12 said:
Bioware can just stfu. As long as I take control of the leading character's role or group of characters role in a story I think I can consider it a Role Playing Game.

Except its not Bioware.  Its one employee giving his opinion.  Bioware is a company made of dozens of employee's, so the title of this thread is inflammatory.

Eh, I took the title from Kotaku.  Maybe I should have known better.

Pixel Art can be fun.

zgamer5 said:
making choices and creating a character isnt the basis of an rpg, the basis is leveling up and have some perks and diffrent kinds of weapons and items. no offense to bioware they are a great company but they cant compare themselves to SE and japanese developers in making rpgs, yes dragon age origins is my favorite rpg but still, they cant insult jrpg makers.

Errr... I think they just did

OT: JRPGs do seem to have more in common with Adventure games than WRPGs. But I think the basis of an RPG is character development, whether that be in gameplay (e.g. improving stats via a leveling system) or in story choices (e.g. you choose how your character behaves). I suppose FFXIII is less of an RPG than other JRPGs as a lot of the core and traditional RPG elements have been removed in favor of a streamlined experience. But it's still an RPG!

Rainbird said:
Carl2291 said:
He's not saying FFXIII isnt. He's saying JRPG's aren't... Full stop.

Well, it was in reference to FF13, but I guess his criticisms apply to a lot of JRPGs.

I'll just echo what I said in the thread I created: "I'd be inclined to agree that the JRPG model seems more like an action/adventure kind of model actually, but I haven't played a lot of JRPGs, including FF13, so..."

Though I might be venturing into dangerous territory here

If you look at what he says...

"I don't know what those are - adventure games maybe? But they're not RPG's."

He's not just talking FFXIII, but JRPG's in general.

I don't think I like this douchebag's opinion.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

According to him, Final Fantasy 7 isnt't an RPG.

Wow. This comment is even more stupid then Pachters "predictions"...

Hell, I'd call them whatever if that meant people not expecting them to morph into WRPGs.

zgamer5 said:
making choices and creating a character isnt the basis of an rpg, the basis is leveling up and have some perks and diffrent kinds of weapons and items. no offense to bioware they are a great company but they cant compare themselves to SE and japanese developers in making rpgs, yes dragon age origins is my favorite rpg but still, they cant insult jrpg makers.

I totally agree with you.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

namdo said:

According to him, Final Fantasy 7 isnt't an RPG.

However, FF7 you can name your character names like ass...

however in his biowares games which I love, you can name it anything you want. But then all the characters call you "the grey warden" or "shepard" for example

So it kind of negates the purpose of naming your character.