By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter: GTA IV cost Microsoft $75 million

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:
Well, it sold more on 360, so a PS3 timed exclusive would've been a rather dumb idea.

i'd haft to disagree! GTA was synonymous with the PS brand. so in saying that GTA 4 would have sold more on PS3 and sold some consoles as well. thinking that gamers would not have none if it were coming out on 360 some if not most would have bought a PS3 and we would be having a different discussion right now.

I don't get what you're arguing here. If I'm Rockstar, why do I care about selling PS3's? Why wouldn't I have my game on a console with a larger userbase? Why would I take a timed exclusive deal and dig into my own sales?

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:
Well, it sold more on 360, so a PS3 timed exclusive would've been a rather dumb idea.

i'd haft to disagree! GTA was synonymous with the PS brand. so in saying that GTA 4 would have sold more on PS3 and sold some consoles as well. thinking that gamers would not have none if it were coming out on 360 some if not most would have bought a PS3 and we would be having a different discussion right now.

so your thinking that most of the 7.7million people who bought gta4 for the 360 would have bought a ps3 if it was exclusive. Im sorry but thats just ridiculous. Ether way Microsoft won't be having to pay them off again for gta5 unless they want a timed exlusive seeing how the game is now more popular on the 360.

And whats with the sony has a better relationship with rockstar. What are they doing, dating? Rockstar doesn't give a crap about relationships, it just cares about who makes them the most money.

enrageorange said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:

so your thinking that most of the 7.7million people who bought gta4 for the 360 would have bought a ps3 if it was exclusive. Im sorry but thats just ridiculous. Ether way Microsoft won't be having to pay them off again for gta5 unless they want a timed exlusive seeing how the game is now more popular on the 360.

And whats with the sony has a better relationship with rockstar. What are they doing, dating? Rockstar doesn't give a crap about relationships, it just cares about who makes them the most money.

No not dating, just in an on,off relationship atm lol

GTA on the 360 outsold the PS3 by a LARGE margin...so why would TTWO make it exclusive to PS3...how does that make any sense? What's the sked for Agent again...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

well agent is a playstation 3 exclusive is because La. Noire is multi platform now originally la noire was suppose to be a exclsuive

Around the Network

and also because of microsoft deal with rockstar on gta 4 dlc and taking away a sony exclusive gta4 deal helped microsoft have a better relationship with rockstar like microsoft relationhsip with square- enix these days this generation microsoft is strenghtening relationships for their next console why do u really think microsoft paying all these timed exclusives it because their stregnethening relationship just like what sony has

themanwithnoname said:

Well at the time people didn't think that, but suprisingly it did.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

M$ and hte Xbox brand is in such a strong position right now...the platform is making money, and 3rd party games have better ROI. In general, any non-Japanese third party publisher going exclusive might be leaving money on the table, but going ps3 only is tanamount ot insanity.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

darthdevidem01 said:
Didn't Rockstar themselves said somewhere that it was gonna be a timed PS3 exclusive, but Ken Kutaragi said they didn't need it as a timed exclusive & his arrogance made them make it multiplat. (basically back in the day when everyone in the press was flaming kutaragi this news story came up).

i can recall reading on the ps website ages ago, that exclusivity was offered to sony but they turned it down as it wouldnt have made business sence.

so i think it was always planned to be on 360 since then, the 50$million howerver was for timed exclusive of the dlc packs,

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

enrageorange said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:

yan! i could bring up LBP and the fact some people say it was a failure because it didn't do what people thought it would. remember this. before the exclusive deal with microsoft. GTA was big on PS3. if you like this franchise then you buy the console that has it. it's that simple. so your arguement is weak.