By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter: GTA IV cost Microsoft $75 million

themanwithnoname said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:
Well, it sold more on 360, so a PS3 timed exclusive would've been a rather dumb idea.

i'd haft to disagree! GTA was synonymous with the PS brand. so in saying that GTA 4 would have sold more on PS3 and sold some consoles as well. thinking that gamers would not have none if it were coming out on 360 some if not most would have bought a PS3 and we would be having a different discussion right now.

I don't get what you're arguing here. If I'm Rockstar, why do I care about selling PS3's? Why wouldn't I have my game on a console with a larger userbase? Why would I take a timed exclusive deal and dig into my own sales?

because the fan base was on the PS brand. not knowing how it would be received on another platform would be the reason for this. and from what i can tell the 360 exclusive GTA4 DLC didn't make taketwo any money. (atlease thats what i heard/read) you drive a good point but thinking out side the box. and yes i do know that GTA games came out on the original xbox. now this might look like back tracking. but to show you that it works either way.

GTA was synonymous with the xbox brand. so in saying that GTA 4 would have sold more on xbox and sold some consoles as well. thinking that gamers would not have none if it were coming out on PS3 some if not most would have bought a 360 and we would be having a different discussion right now.

besides. till this day i've never played a GTA game on a PS platform! be shocked.

Around the Network

Is it all about the money though...Some developers do care about their work being 'groundbreaking' and staying fresh. Do you think Take-two wants to upset the Housers and watch another IW scenario unfold - you can bet they have a say in things.

Good move? I can't say.. it opens the door for companies to extort Microsoft with a figure that big. If you have a big franchise, make it ps3 exclusve and wait for MS to pay up. I seriously doubt Microsoft made a penny off GTAVI/Ep. from lib city, with that kind of deal they forfeited all profits from the game or barely broke even. You got to wonder if Microsoft is in this business to destroy Sony - they don't seem to care what Nintendo does.

Exclusives are much better than Multiplats in my opinion because the developers can take advantage of the hardware, especially on PS3 - paying that much to dumb down a game is a loss for gamers - not a win unless you're casual and can only want one system.

Since they paid 75mil for GTAIV, there will likely be a bidding war between Sony and MS on GTAV (or probably has taken place), and one which Sony can get away with a much lower figure, and if Sony loses it only goes multiplatform. There is probably a reason LA NOIRE hasn't officially announced it's platform yet, and it is tied to the same type of thing. Putting a blue-ray drive in the console does have it's hidden back room benefits.

Why would making GTA a PS3 exclusive be a bad idea? Releasing it on the 360 made GTA IV SOOO BAD it ruined its image. Just like MW, MW1 gave the Call of Duty franchise a good image, MW2 ruined it and so MW3 will sell less then MW2 b/c of the destroyed image. Another example? Releasing XIII on the 360. nuf said

heruamon said:
GTA on the 360 outsold the PS3 by a LARGE margin...so why would TTWO make it exclusive to PS3...how does that make any sense? What's the sked for Agent again...

thats what they were going to before Microsoft made them a offer they couldn't refuse.

no talent
no soul
no innovation

Mass Stealing

Microsoft !

Time to Work !

Around the Network
enrageorange said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:
Well, it sold more on 360, so a PS3 timed exclusive would've been a rather dumb idea.

i'd haft to disagree! GTA was synonymous with the PS brand. so in saying that GTA 4 would have sold more on PS3 and sold some consoles as well. thinking that gamers would not have none if it were coming out on 360 some if not most would have bought a PS3 and we would be having a different discussion right now.

so your thinking that most of the 7.7million people who bought gta4 for the 360 would have bought a ps3 if it was exclusive. Im sorry but thats just ridiculous. Ether way Microsoft won't be having to pay them off again for gta5 unless they want a timed exlusive seeing how the game is now more popular on the 360.

And whats with the sony has a better relationship with rockstar. What are they doing, dating? Rockstar doesn't give a crap about relationships, it just cares about who makes them the most money.

didn't san andreas sell like 14 or more million units on PS2. why wouldn't they make it exclusive to PS3?

themanwithnoname said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:

I don't get what you're arguing here. If I'm Rockstar, why do I care about selling PS3's? Why wouldn't I have my game on a console with a larger userbase? Why would I take a timed exclusive deal and dig into my own sales?

besides it would not have happend if microsoft wouldn't have paid for it!

GTA4 would have been on 360 no matter what...GTA3 Vice & SA All Made it on Xbox When PS2 Was Smashing it, why the Hell Wouldn't GTA4 Come to 360 When 360 was ahead of PS3 by a Good amount?

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:

besides it would not have happend if microsoft wouldn't have paid for it!

There is NO PROOF in this, why are we all suddenly believing Patcher? for one, if I recall correctly it was in Take Two or rockstar or someones companys financials that they had accepted 50 million from Microsoft. 

The other part to this is that they wouldn't have even finished GTA 4 if they didn't have the funding as they were well over budget and Take Two seems to have CEO's that always make money 'run away'.  Again this is if I recall correctly, also I believe it was a LOAN, so Msoft will have gotten its money back. I am not saying Msoft didn't pay for it, but for us to suddenly take this guys word for something, is a little strange, back up a bit..

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

didn't san andreas sell like 14 or more million units on PS2. why wouldn't they make it exclusive to PS3?

PS2 != PS3

Xbox 360 = Xbox 360.

The ps3 at the time was selling laughably (compared to expectations), BluRay has its advantages, and for an open world like GTA it is quite obvious, but this does not mean it was instantly going to be a PS3 exclusive.

kowenicki said:
Snesboy said:
RiksK15 said:
Most GTA games were timed exclusives for PS2, apart from Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories being complete Playstation Exclusives!

My guess would be that they wanted push more out of GTA IV with PS3 because it has the superior hardware, and then after a year or two release it on 360, instead MS paid R* so they made the game and as you know Xbox 360 was hindering GTA development so they had to take some things out of the game!

That's my guess too. I mean, you get the same game on a 9 GB DVD or a 50 GB Blu-ray. That's a difference of 41 GBs so if GTA IV was a PS3 exclusive, there likely would have been a ton more content.

There is simply no evidence that this happens.  Exclusive games arent massively bigger than 360 counterparts and FFXIII went multidisc with the same content.

There is a limit to the amount of time and money developers will spend on a game*

* excludes polyphony digital

I'm pretty sure that for certain exclusive titles, Sony and the devs have been keen to point out that they've utilised the Blu-Ray's capacity to well beyond that of a normal DVD. I remember reading this for games like MGS4, Uncharted 1 & 2 and Killzone 2 (could be more, they're the ones I remember). It's not suprising really as if you're making an exclusive game then you make full use of the advantages of said system and cleverly work around it's faults and drawbacks.

Anyway, I don't think it would have made that much of a difference for GTA IV as I'm pretty sure they were going to release it for 360 originally anyway, albeit a little later than the PS3 version.