By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter: GTA IV cost Microsoft $75 million

Most GTA games were timed exclusives for PS2, apart from Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories being complete Playstation Exclusives!

My guess would be that they wanted push more out of GTA IV with PS3 because it has the superior hardware, and then after a year or two release it on 360, instead MS paid R* so they made the game and as you know Xbox 360 was hindering GTA development so they had to take some things out of the game!

Around the Network

I suppose it's possible. It's not like MS didn't have the money to spare, and they got timed exclusivity on the DLC. If it is the case then I think MS will be dissappointed it didn't move more hardware.

RiksK15 said:
Most GTA games were timed exclusives for PS2, apart from Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories being complete Playstation Exclusives!

My guess would be that they wanted push more out of GTA IV with PS3 because it has the superior hardware, and then after a year or two release it on 360, instead MS paid R* so they made the game and as you know Xbox 360 was hindering GTA development so they had to take some things out of the game!

That's my guess too. I mean, you get the same game on a 9 GB DVD or a 50 GB Blu-ray. That's a difference of 41 GBs so if GTA IV was a PS3 exclusive, there likely would have been a ton more content.

kowenicki said:
Snesboy said:
RiksK15 said:

That's my guess too. I mean, you get the same game on a 9 GB DVD or a 50 GB Blu-ray. That's a difference of 41 GBs so if GTA IV was a PS3 exclusive, there likely would have been a ton more content.

There is simply no evidence that this happens.  Exclusive games arent massively bigger than 360 counterparts and FFXIII went multidisc with the same content.

There is a limit to the amount of time and money developers will spend on a game*

* excludes polyphony digital

That kinda proves my point.

themanwithnoname said:
Well, it sold more on 360, so a PS3 timed exclusive would've been a rather dumb idea.

I agree. Just the numbers alone prove the sales of which console it dominated on.

If a company wants to spend the money for the gamers, let them. It benefitted me in the long run! This only encourages more competition in the gaming market *<

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Snesboy said:
kowenicki said:
Snesboy said:
RiksK15 said:

There is simply no evidence that this happens.  Exclusive games arent massively bigger than 360 counterparts and FFXIII went multidisc with the same content.

There is a limit to the amount of time and money developers will spend on a game*

* excludes polyphony digital

That kinda proves my point.

it kinda doesnt

That's why I said kinda.

Needless to say..

Sony and Rockstar have a way better relationship than MS and Rockstar.

It's nothing to do with pushing hardware.

It's the fact that when GTAIV began development and suchlike, neither the 360 or PS3 were out and everyone expected the PS3 to do what the PS2 did. Sony did have GTA exclusivity in contracts (I remember reading about how they 'dodged' the contract to port them to Xbox as a double pack or something).

Microsoft put up the money for them to bail the contract I guess, and Agent was somewhere in those negotiations. However L.A.Noire was originally a Sony property from what I've read and Take2 owe them for that so Agent could be tied up in that too some where *shrug*.

Lol I can see Rockstar repeating this in order to scam MS into paying again with GTA 5, Good ol' devious Rockstar. Oh wait thats right, Activision is the Devil not Rockstar...

I am aware Rockstar is not evil. Its just a joke. However Activision is...

themanwithnoname said:
Well, it sold more on 360, so a PS3 timed exclusive would've been a rather dumb idea.

i'd haft to disagree! GTA was synonymous with the PS brand. so in saying that GTA 4 would have sold more on PS3 and sold some consoles as well. thinking that gamers would not have none if it were coming out on 360 some if not most would have bought a PS3 and we would be having a different discussion right now.