By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter: GTA IV cost Microsoft $75 million

Isamu said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:
Well, it sold more on 360, so a PS3 timed exclusive would've been a rather dumb idea.

i'd haft to disagree! GTA was synonymous with the PS brand. so in saying that GTA 4 would have sold more on PS3 and sold some consoles as well. thinking that gamers would not have none if it were coming out on 360 some if not most would have bought a PS3 and we would be having a different discussion right now.

I don't get what you're arguing here. If I'm Rockstar, why do I care about selling PS3's? Why wouldn't I have my game on a console with a larger userbase? Why would I take a timed exclusive deal and dig into my own sales?

besides it would not have happend if microsoft wouldn't have paid for it!

There is NO PROOF in this, why are we all suddenly believing Patcher? for one, if I recall correctly it was in Take Two or rockstar or someones companys financials that they had accepted 50 million from Microsoft. 

The other part to this is that they wouldn't have even finished GTA 4 if they didn't have the funding as they were well over budget and Take Two seems to have CEO's that always make money 'run away'.  Again this is if I recall correctly, also I believe it was a LOAN, so Msoft will have gotten its money back. I am not saying Msoft didn't pay for it, but for us to suddenly take this guys word for something, is a little strange, back up a bit..

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

didn't san andreas sell like 14 or more million units on PS2. why wouldn't they make it exclusive to PS3?

PS2 != PS3

Xbox 360 = Xbox 360.

The ps3 at the time was selling laughably (compared to expectations), BluRay has its advantages, and for an open world like GTA it is quite obvious, but this does not mean it was instantly going to be a PS3 exclusive.

didn't say it would. didn't you see the post where i fillped the script for a lack of better words. im going to rap this up. so your telling me that if GTA4 was exclusive to PS3. sony would not have sold more consoles and GTA4 would not have sold more on PS3 weather it would have been timed exclusive or a exclusive outright? cause if you are saying that then you are out of your mind. if a game is exclusive to one console then you would haft to expect that fans of that franchise would by that console if they won't to play that game. and thats all i was trying to say. and thats why i disagreed with you guies. look at it like this. this is a hypothetical. if halo would have gone multiplatform would you expect it to sell more on PS3 or 360? i know this will never happen, thats why it's a hypothetical scenario?

note:

GTA 4 did not move any consoles on any platforms. i don't provide links so you'll haft to look it up for your self.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

didn't say it would. didn't you see the post where i fillped the script for a lack of better words. im going to rap this up. so your telling me that if GTA4 was exclusive to PS3. sony would not have sold more consoles and GTA4 would not have sold more on PS3 weather it would have been timed exclusive or a exclusive outright? cause if you are saying that then you are out of your mind. if a game is exclusive to one console then you would haft to expect that fans of that franchise would by that console if they won't to play that game. and thats all i was trying to say. and thats why i disagreed with you guies. look at it like this. this is a hypothetical. if halo would have gone multiplatform would you expect it to sell more on PS3 or 360? i know this will never happen, thats why it's a hypothetical scenario?

note:

GTA 4 did not move any consoles on any platforms. i don't provide links so you'll haft to look it up for your self.

Wtf, thats just stating the obvious.  I think you haven't even read what I typed.  Yes it would have sold more on Ps3 if it wasnt on 360, it would not have sold the 7.7 million tho, thats just crazy talk.  Further more I am not going to look up data for your argument, also if I remember there was a console spike when GTA 4 was released. 

Apart from that, you have really confused me, structure, paragraph etc etc, its just a big blob of text.   As to Halo multiplat, well if it was Reach, in theory it would sell more on 360, but really it would also come down to advertising etc, I'm sure you saying because the Halo market is already there, which is a very valid point.

My point was Ps2 != Ps3 which means, the Ps2 market is not the Ps3 market, not everyone moved on (should be pretty obvious), because it sold well on Ps2, does not mean it would have sold as well on the Ps3.  Yes a lot of first part, or second party games have, but to say it would have sold 14 million is crazy talk.

themanwithnoname said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:
Well, it sold more on 360, so a PS3 timed exclusive would've been a rather dumb idea.

i'd haft to disagree! GTA was synonymous with the PS brand. so in saying that GTA 4 would have sold more on PS3 and sold some consoles as well. thinking that gamers would not have none if it were coming out on 360 some if not most would have bought a PS3 and we would be having a different discussion right now.

I don't get what you're arguing here. If I'm Rockstar, why do I care about selling PS3's? Why wouldn't I have my game on a console with a larger userbase? Why would I take a timed exclusive deal and dig into my own sales?

because not everyone cares only about money.. GTA IV to many is a huge step back from SAN, I found it to be better, but feature wise it definately is a step back.. and a big one.

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?109273-Rockstar-next-GTA-IV-might-not-fit-on-Xbox-360-disc

mM
leo-j said:
themanwithnoname said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:

because not everyone cares only about money.. GTA IV to many is a huge step back from SAN, I found it to be better, but feature wise it definately is a step back.. and a big one.

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?109273-Rockstar-next-GTA-IV-might-not-fit-on-Xbox-360-disc

Get a grip on reality Leo, Rockstar is a company, not a frigging best friend of Sony's. MONEY is the first thing on their mind. Especially as they're not doing to well.

Seece said:
leo-j said:

Get a grip on reality Leo, Rockstar is a company, not a frigging best friend of Sony's. MONEY is the first thing on their mind. Especially as they're not doing to well.

Yep completely agree, its a company, public company, if it DOESN'T care about money, share holders will revolt, and they are already pissed off enough as it is.  Just because GTA IV was a huge step back has nothing to do with size, get real.  If it did, how come SAN was better?

I played thru 4, and when I get thru 4 all I thought was same same matchy matchy, and stupid relationships that I cared little for keeping up.  It was probably the high standards they had on previous ones? Who knows, perhaps I had over played previous itterations, I am waiting to play the DLC as I hear Gay Tony is great, but thats not on a whole BluRay does that mean its not good?

.. Yes the next GTA will probably be larger, but that doesn't mean its going to be better, I'd expect the sales of red dead redemption to actually be the main driver of exclusivity to be honest if it is exclusive..

Around the Network

Wow if this is true, what a horrible miscalculation on Rockstar's part. No wonder game companies can't turn a profit.

Seece said:
leo-j said:
themanwithnoname said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:

Take Two and all its subsidiaries should care about money considering they're always bleeding it anyway. And yes, publishers care about money way more than they care about critical reception (which GTA IV had both of in this case).

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

There's actually a video interview out there with Tretton on the matter. Take Two had a contractual obligation to make GTA games timed exclusive on the PS consoles (not sure about handhelds) if I recall this cost Sony 120 million at the time. Take Two was desperate to get out of their contract they brokered another deal with Sony; 3 exclusive games in exchange for GTA simultaneous release on the 360. I'm guessing Patcher is actually right on this one and MS paying Take Two that sum of 70+ million wouldn't be impossible; rather likely.

good for Microsoft and even better for the consumer. Yea buying titles may seem like a shady tactic to some but in the end its the consumer that wins.

The whole GTA IV deal with MS was a waste. PS3 has the complete package now.