By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 vs XBox 360 attach ratio

NPD confirmed recently 360 has the bigger attach rate in the US, and you just proved your own point wrong by pointing out Japan sales when the 360 has 1.3 consoles vs 5.16 ps3s. The 360 head start of 180k sales isn't gonna make much of a difference at all. I would be surprised if PS3 didn't have a better attach rate in Europe, but showing that a few multiplats sold slightly better on PS3 doesn't prove anything, and it sure doesn't prove that it would be enough to cancel out the 360's advantage in NA and Japan in attach rate.

you're right the attach rate is probably not much different WW at all, but people stopped talking about that long ago. It used to be a big deal in 2006-2008.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
MikeB said:
Chrizum said:
360 attach rate's far superior, just take a look at the Japan charts.

I think you forget the 360's one year headstart which clouds your perspective.

Three times as much PS3 software was sold in Japan according to VGChartz despite the 360's 1 year headstart.

Recently since the release of Final Fantasy XIII PS3 hardware sales have really fired up and 360 hardware sales slowed even further into nothingness. You will have to give those new PS3 owners time to buy games, almost nobody buys 10 games when they buy a new console, but gradually built a games library (you can't play 10 games at once).

Even with the one year headstart the 360's attach rate trumps the PS3's.

I thought you were talking about attach rates? Don't change the subject.

Again you go off-topic, in your own thread, even! I wonder why you're so eager to ignore attach-ratios so soon in your thread about attach-ratios...

lol

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

@ johnsobas

NPD confirmed recently 360 has the bigger attach rate in the US

We already know the XBox 360 had a one year headstart, so that should obviously stay this way. Also for example Halo and Gears of War series are high profile 360 exclusives in the United States.

I think there's nothing remarkable with regard to such confirmation.

The remarkable part is in the OP. According to VGChartz the PS3 install base in Europe was much smaller, yet software trackers highlight better PS3 software sales for that period.

by pointing out Japan sales when the 360 has 1.3 consoles vs 5.16 ps3s

If today 1 million extra PS3s would be sold in Japan with 1 game per console, the attach rate would drop dramtically. Understand this point?

Sure Microsoft bought exclusivety on some games for Japan which on the PS3 would have been major blockbusters, but such practices are very bad for consumers and the XBox 360 still performs like a Zombie in Japan. It's not the most glorious market for 360 fans to highlight.

you're right the attach rate is probably not much different WW at all

That was at the heart of the OP.

It used to be a big deal in 2006-2008

In reality it was never a big deal, just food for trolls...

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Installbase in Europe May 2009:

360: 8.9m
PS3: 7.9m

yeah....millions ahead....

Europe is pirate heaven, so I'm not surprised at all that the PS3 is selling more software in Europe.

My conclusion: This thread fails

MikeB said:
@ Chrizum

Are you a preteen?

This really helps your argument!

Around the Network

global software numbers doesnt make sense compared with companies numbers

Or PS3/wii software numbers are undertracked or 350 software sales are overtracker. Take a look at shipped games vs vgchartz software sales

kowenicki said:
I dont think software tracking is anywhere near as strong as hardware tracking...

Considering VGChartz overestimated XBox 360 shipments by over 60% that would not bode too well for software sales...

Japan is overall the best tracked region I think, we also usually get these figures after we get the data from the regional trackers, so this should be the case. With regard to US/NA, there have been plenty of bloopers if we take NPD's figures.

Apart from the UK, Europe and others are probably the hardest to track.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I don't know what point you're trying to make?

360 > PS3 in NA for sure
360 > PS3 in Japan for sure
PS3 > 360, barely.

Are you forgetting the multiplats that sold better on 360 at the start of the PS3's life?

Ah he got banned, serves him right, he couldn't even debate chrizum after 4 posts so results to insulting him ...

To come to a satisfactory conclusion of this thread, looking at he official data it seems we can conclude:

The gap between the XBox 360 (shipped) and PS3 (sold to retail) was 4.5 million units to the advantage of the XBox 360 by the end of March 2010.

We can also see PS3 software considerably outsold XBox 360 software during that period worldwide, despite this hardware advantage for the XBox 360.

We can thus come to the conclusion PS3 owners last year bought more software than XBox 360 owners and had a better attach rate.

For the future, if The Source's forecast regarding XBox 360 hardware sales holds through as well as Sony's forecast for the PS3, the PS3 will have outsold the XBox 360's shipped hardware by 2.5 million units by the end of this fiscal year.

Considering games usually take more than a year to complete, software developers should note that the PS3 install base is soon to overtake the XBox 360 and the average PS3 owner buys more software than the average XBox 360 owner.

PS3 vs 360 sales