By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 vs XBox 360 attach ratio

MikeB said:
To come to a satisfactory conclusion of this thread, looking at he official data it seems we can conclude:

The gap between the XBox 360 (shipped) and PS3 (sold to retail) was 4.5 million units to the advantage of the XBox 360 by the end of March 2010.

We can also see PS3 software considerably outsold XBox 360 software during that period worldwide, despite this hardware advantage for the XBox 360.

We can thus come to the conclusion PS3 owners last year bought more software than XBox 360 owners and had a better attach rate.

For the future, if The Source's forecast regarding XBox 360 hardware sales holds through as well as Sony's forecast for the PS3, the PS3 will have outsold the XBox 360's shipped hardware by 2.5 million units by the end of this fiscal year.

Considering games usually take more than a year to complete, software developers should note that the PS3 install base is soon to overtake the XBox 360 and the average PS3 owner buys more software than the average XBox 360 owner.

I'm beginning to feel kind of bad for you. You go through all this trouble just to be proven wrong in a matter of seconds:

Click here and check out the tie ratio at the bottom of the sales numbers. It's too easy.

Around the Network

@ Chrizum

You completely failed to understand the core of what was being stated in those first 2 posts.

BTW

1) The PS3 was meanwhile already adjusted upwards for Europe/others here on VGChartz for a period preceding the period the original post was referring to.
2) In the latest fiscal year reports we see a clear attach ratio advantage for the PS3, PS3 owners bought a lot more software despite having sold 4.47 million less hardware than the XBox 360 shipped by the end of March 2010.

This were exactly the raised issues, just reread, it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

PS3 attach ratio has crept steadily upwards to 8.93 on the last chart. A strong turnaround in software is partly due to new slim owners filling out their library with older titles like MGS4, Fallout 3, UC 1 + 2 etc. and partly due to the first HD release of some of PS' most important IPs. Even GOW3's weekly totals seem like a small percentage of 1.8m/wk to me.

The 360 has had a few million sellers in 2010 but their best are yet to come. We'll see if Natal gives 360 the short term sw boost that slim gave PS3. It will be tough to tell with Reach, Fable 3 etc. releasing in the pre-holiday season. If GT5 does come through it will offset but not cancel out a 360 advantage. I would guess natal will have about half the impact as slim but that really depends on pricing, games and a possible reaction by Sony.

PS3 is unlikely to bridge the 110 m sw gap or the 1.8 tie ratio differential completely but it's headed in the right direction. It must be pointed out that M$ have maintained their HW and SW leads while turning a profit. Sony have sacrificed profit for hw sales and the profit that will bring. They may not be able to justify another pricecut so soon. Time will tell.

Chrizum said:
MikeB said:
To come to a satisfactory conclusion of this thread, looking at he official data it seems we can conclude:

The gap between the XBox 360 (shipped) and PS3 (sold to retail) was 4.5 million units to the advantage of the XBox 360 by the end of March 2010.

We can also see PS3 software considerably outsold XBox 360 software during that period worldwide, despite this hardware advantage for the XBox 360.

We can thus come to the conclusion PS3 owners last year bought more software than XBox 360 owners and had a better attach rate.

For the future, if The Source's forecast regarding XBox 360 hardware sales holds through as well as Sony's forecast for the PS3, the PS3 will have outsold the XBox 360's shipped hardware by 2.5 million units by the end of this fiscal year.

Considering games usually take more than a year to complete, software developers should note that the PS3 install base is soon to overtake the XBox 360 and the average PS3 owner buys more software than the average XBox 360 owner.

I'm beginning to feel kind of bad for you. You go through all this trouble just to be proven wrong in a matter of seconds:

Click here and check out the tie ratio at the bottom of the sales numbers. It's too easy.

xD

It'll never be enough though Chrizum though!!

@ Recon101

110 m sw gap

That's less than 1 year's worth of PS3 software sales if the PS3 would sell the same amount of software this fiscal year, the XBox 360 had a 1 year headstart (and more in Europe).

But more likely the PS3 will not sell the same amount of software this year, but due to the install base increasing will sell even more!

A strong turnaround in software is partly due to new slim owners filling out their library with older titles like MGS4, Fallout 3, UC 1 + 2 etc.

It's interesting to see GTA IV (PS3 version) still in the top 30 charts for Europe in 2010.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:

In reality it was never a big deal, just food for trolls...

So you are admitting this thread is troll/flame bait?

I mean you've already had to reply to your own thread 3 times to keep conversation going and you've already flamed one person for pointing out your mistakes.

Seece said:
Chrizum said:
MikeB said:

xD

It'll never be enough though Chrizum though!!

Lol, that should be the end of the thread I think. 

@ nightsurge

He went way off topic just like you always do. But I shouldn't have reacted like I did, but you guys are IMO getting pretty boring, like your post here.

And you misunderstood the meaning of what's not a big deal. Having a 1 year headstart by default creates an artificial attach ratio advantage. Normally attach rates go up in course of time when there are plenty of software releases. So you compare equal timeframes.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ nightsurge

He went way off topic just like you always do. But I shouldn't have reacted like I did, but you guys are IMO getting pretty boring, like your post here.

Because A) we don't sing the same tune as you and debunk practically every thread you come up with in about 5 posts and B) your threads are hardly riveting to read ...

Good Thread, PS3 is continuing to sale more and more, When you look at the numbers, sure 360 has a year head start, with a holiday, If you look at it face to face, take away they year head start and Christmas PS3 numbers are very very good. Take that year away PS3 would also have more total sales also. I love my PS3 and 360, and own about 30 games on each, for about 60 games, I look at it from a unbiased place, but you will always have these fanboys who will twist things in there mind to make them selves feel better, instead of it just being what it is, I mean shit weather PS3 or 360 sale more consoles or software, I am not going to get any richer, My life will not change in any way, I am not married to any of them, but I will still continue to play the games I like on my 360 and PS3. Numbers will always be numbers, it all depends if you have the balls to look at them from a true perspective.