By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Kasz216 said:
Baddman said:

its not that i dont like the speculation but it seems people always try to discredit players with their what if he didnt play with so and so  totally neglecting that the team hadn't won shit prior to his arrival and continued winnin after david robinson retired and tim duncan did play powerforward those years after robinson retired and that team been through so many different roster changes while staying amongst the top of the leagueand made the playoffs every year ever since....also lol i might just be a little more touchy when ppl try to discredit duncan(home town representative)

It's nothing about discrediting Duncan... and everything about putting PF in the greater context of position value.

Put it this way... Compare Kobe Bryant to Tim Duncan.

Tim Duncan is the greatest power foward of all time.

Kobe Bryant is like... 3rd-5th best when it comes to shooting guards.  He ain't passing Jordan or Bird.  You'd be hard pressed to have him over Oscar Robertson.

Many people would say "Kobe doesn't deserve to be in the argument with Duncan because Duncan was the best PF in the leage... while Kobe is like the 3rd-5th best SG (Depending on how this series goes.))

However, if Tim Duncan ended up at C, like he was supposed to be drafted to play... he's probably the 3rd-5th best C out there.

Kareem and Russel go over him.  You could argue Wilt and Shaq respectivly as well.  Though Shaq does lack logevity it's hard to ignore his pure dominance when he was top.

PF just isn't loaded like C or SG.   You've got Duncan... then... Karl Malone?   Really?

It's the same with PG.

You've got Magic Johnson then a big drop off.

SF is even worse actually.  Your best SF is... Dr. J?     Then who?  Hell you could already argue Lebron James is the second best SF of all time and he doesn't even have a ring and still has half his career left.  Heck you could even make a half hearted arguement that he's already the best based on how poor Dr. J played in the NBA... his amazing years coming in the ABA which was second rate.

Of course there is always Elgin Baylor too.  Really SF is the weakest of the bunch.  Though I probably say this only because of my love of Magic Johnson. 

Who I'd actually argue deserves to be in that Number 1 spot over Jordan... because he was nearly as good as Jordan... but could play all 5 positions.

Correct me if Im wrong but Larry Bird was billed as a Small Forward and Oscar was a Point Guard. I understand what your saying and for the most part I agree with you. Except for the Magic and Jordan part but that's a whole other discussion and debate I would have to dig deep for mainly due to the fact you could compile quite a strong argument for Magic.

My Top 5 of all time at each position in order.

PG: Magic, John Stockton, Oscar Robertson, Isiah Thomas (yeah I went there), Steve Nash/Jason Kidd (Tie)
SG: Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant (that pains me), George Gervin, Jerry West , Allen Iverson (My controversial pick)
SF: Larry Bird, Julius Erving, Scottie Pippen, Elgin Baylor, LeBron James (Really weak position)
PF: Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Bob Pettit, Kevin McHale
C: Kareem, Shaq, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Hakeem The Dream

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
ShadowSoldier said:
Kasz216 said:
Baddman said:

its not that i dont like the speculation but it seems people always try to discredit players with their what if he didnt play with so and so  totally neglecting that the team hadn't won shit prior to his arrival and continued winnin after david robinson retired and tim duncan did play powerforward those years after robinson retired and that team been through so many different roster changes while staying amongst the top of the leagueand made the playoffs every year ever since....also lol i might just be a little more touchy when ppl try to discredit duncan(home town representative)

It's nothing about discrediting Duncan... and everything about putting PF in the greater context of position value.

Put it this way... Compare Kobe Bryant to Tim Duncan.

Tim Duncan is the greatest power foward of all time.

Kobe Bryant is like... 3rd-5th best when it comes to shooting guards.  He ain't passing Jordan or Bird.  You'd be hard pressed to have him over Oscar Robertson.

Many people would say "Kobe doesn't deserve to be in the argument with Duncan because Duncan was the best PF in the leage... while Kobe is like the 3rd-5th best SG (Depending on how this series goes.))

However, if Tim Duncan ended up at C, like he was supposed to be drafted to play... he's probably the 3rd-5th best C out there.

Kareem and Russel go over him.  You could argue Wilt and Shaq respectivly as well.  Though Shaq does lack logevity it's hard to ignore his pure dominance when he was top.

PF just isn't loaded like C or SG.   You've got Duncan... then... Karl Malone?   Really?

It's the same with PG.

You've got Magic Johnson then a big drop off.

SF is even worse actually.  Your best SF is... Dr. J?     Then who?  Hell you could already argue Lebron James is the second best SF of all time and he doesn't even have a ring and still has half his career left.  Heck you could even make a half hearted arguement that he's already the best based on how poor Dr. J played in the NBA... his amazing years coming in the ABA which was second rate.

Of course there is always Elgin Baylor too.  Really SF is the weakest of the bunch.  Though I probably say this only because of my love of Magic Johnson. 

Who I'd actually argue deserves to be in that Number 1 spot over Jordan... because he was nearly as good as Jordan... but could play all 5 positions.

Correct me if Im wrong but Larry Bird was billed as a Small Forward and Oscar was a Point Guard. I understand what your saying and for the most part I agree with you. Except for the Magic and Jordan part but that's a whole other discussion and debate I would have to dig deep for mainly due to the fact you could compile quite a strong argument for Magic.

My Top 5 of all time at each position in order.

PG: Magic, John Stockton, Oscar Robertson, Isiah Thomas (yeah I went there), Steve Nash/Jason Kidd (Tie)
SG: Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant (that pains me), George Gervin, Jerry West , Allen Iverson (My controversial pick)
SF: Larry Bird, Julius Erving, Scottie Pippen, Elgin Baylor, LeBron James (Really weak position)
PF: Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Bob Pettit, Kevin McHale
C: Kareem, Shaq, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Hakeem The Dream

Was bird a SF?   Show's how long it's been since I saw  a game of his on ESN classic.

Robertson I thought was a SG primarily over PG though... it was more transitive then though.

Boston celtics just need to go home. It's a wrap. The championship is already decided in my mind. lol

oldschoolfool said:

Boston celtics just need to go home. It's a wrap. The championship is already decided in my mind. lol

Don't be so hasty. It's 1 friggin game

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

The Celtics were playing like they were defending the Lakers of '08. That's not going to work anymore Boston.

Oh, and it was pretty funny seeing Kobe going for 30 during the whole fourth quarter. Finally got it with a crazy 3 pointer at the very end haha.

Around the Network

Boston did play like crap, but I just didn't enjoy the pacing of the game.  There was like 70 free throws between both teams.  I miss basketball of the early 90s (too young to remember the 80s).

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Boston wins with pierce and garnett playing like garbage while also having the  team in serious foul trouble.....

Lakers welcome to the 2010 finals.....you should be very worried....

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

That was one of the worst games I've ever seen when it came to the calls, on both sides.

The replay with Garnett and Gasol just capped it perfectly. *laughs*

@Jesus

Easy man, don't forget Allen setting a finals record. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Jesus Shuttlesworth was killing it tonight.

That's the thing with Boston.  Only one of the Big Three needs to show up along with Rondo for them to have success.  Boston's bench did just a good enough job to be a deciding factor.

I really dislike NBA refs.  I wouldn't mind the game getting extended 10 extra minutes if coaches could challenge a couple foul calls. 

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Smeags said:

That was one of the worst games I've ever seen when it came to the calls, on both sides.

The replay with Garnett and Gasol just capped it perfectly. *laughs*

@Jesus

Easy man, don't forget Allen setting a finals record. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

I think ray had to ice his hand after the game....the guy was far to wet for kobe and fisher to handle.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!